Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Other pet critters - Birds, fish, rabbits, reptiles, rodents and exotics > Birds

Old February 1st, 2009, 01:54 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Chris21711 we have soo many pidgeons in Hamilton!! Even with falcons roosting amongst them! But I have never in my life seen so many deformed ones. It is very strange...some are missing feet, wings, some have the huge growths around their beeks and eyes?? I often see them while waiting for the bus and it is really sad. We also have some beautiful colored ones! We are not supposed to feed them but I sneak them a treat once in awhile. The only bad part is if you bring them a treat its not very sneaky cause as soon as you drop it about 50 of them will fly over to you so your automatically guilty!!
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old February 1st, 2009, 02:12 PM
Remembering Lukka

I go to the bulk store and buy a mix of pine nuts, walnuts, peanuts, black oil sunflower seeds pumpkin seeds and just whatever I see that I think the birds might like, some dried fruit like blueberries (so expensive) and dried cherries
the chickadee comes in for a taste

the junco comes in for a try

being such a woodpecker fan I take suet out and have hubby climb up and wedge it into a tree for me.

I have tried hard to get pics of the red-bellied woodpecker who has been teasing me at this conservation area for two years now, but he is so not into being photographed. Here is a lousy shot of him, I posted it in another thread a while ago

Hazel I would do anything to see a pileated, never have yet, and will take another trip to the Smoky's in April. The park is full of them so maybe this year I will get lucky enough. Also I am after the scarlet tanager, have not seen one of those yet either.
We get flocks of cedar waxwings here and I will post some of those when the weather is warmer.
Old February 1st, 2009, 04:11 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukka'sma View Post
Hazel I would do anything to see a pileated, never have yet, and will take another trip to the Smoky's in April. The park is full of them so maybe this year I will get lucky enough. Also I am after the scarlet tanager, have not seen one of those yet either.
We get flocks of cedar waxwings here and I will post some of those when the weather is warmer.
Anything? We have pileateds around here all year round...and scarlet tanagers in spring and summer... When can you get here? I'd love to stea....um....the Pack would love to meet Mishka, so just bring her on along, k?

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old February 1st, 2009, 04:11 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Oh, I got so excited about your upcoming trip, I forgot to compliment you on the cool photos!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old February 1st, 2009, 05:07 PM
Senior Contributor

Lukkas mom,great pics,I just LOVE all birds,it is expensive to feed them though,between birdsseds,whole corn,suet and peanuts for the Squirrels+all the cat-food,we'll be living on Mac and Cheese pretty soon,but it's well worth it
What trip is this i am hearing about,does that mean someone gets to meet Mishka??
Old February 1st, 2009, 05:09 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Nah, Chico. I was just teasin' Lukka'sma...she wants to see Pileated Woodpeckers and Scarlet Tanagers...and we have both.

Old February 1st, 2009, 05:44 PM
Senior Contributor

OH,ok...cause I would have been jealous had anybody gotten to see Mishka and not me
I wishyou did not live so far away,I'd love to see all your Hummers and the pups of course,well,you too
We might make a trip to Mintreal this summer,hopefully meet some people from the Forum.
I loved Montreal when we visited once..
Old February 1st, 2009, 06:17 PM
-

Great pics Lukkas'ma, compared to the crummy ones I take, shame on me.

Winston - The pigeons that I see are from the barn north of us and the school belfry to the south.....country bumpkins So sad to see them hurt :sad: Why are you not suppose to feed them?
Old February 2nd, 2009, 08:32 AM
Senior Contributor

Chris,in the city I think there is a concern about their poop and the mess.
My group I get every day are the opposite,they clean up all the leftover seeds on the ground,we used to have a foot high with left-overs although we buy very good seeds.

I think they are beautiful,their cooing is a really nice sound and they have so many different colours.
I might be a little off the wall,but "my"critters are like a family,with the Crows keeping watch,warning everybody in case of a Hawk attack

I am sorry to hear about the wounded Pigeons,maybe it is because of all the obstacles in the city??
When they get alarmed,they tend to fly off without looking where they're going.
I had one fly i to my deck-railing,but luckily he was fine.
Old February 3rd, 2009, 04:57 PM
-

Funny you should say about them being considered "Pests" Chico, I think you read the T. Star, did you see the photo yesterday saying that they were considered pests and that spikes are put on window wells to stop them from roosting etc., :sad:
Old February 3rd, 2009, 05:01 PM
Senior Contributor

Yes Chris,I read the Star every morning,did not see anything about Pigeons though and I would have read it.
The Star comes in different editions though,what I get in the burbs they don't get in Toronto.
Hubby worked for the Star for many yrs,now retired.

That is a horrible thing to do to birds,I would have written the editor for sure
Old February 10th, 2009, 12:25 PM
Senior Contributor

MyPigeons

Here are a couple of crappy pics of some of my Pigeons,they were all sitting so nicely in the tree,then they decided to fly off,when I took the pic...on the the wire,OMG,they are jumpy
Attached Images

Old February 10th, 2009, 12:26 PM
Senior Contributor

OOOPs,that one got really big...oh well!
Old February 10th, 2009, 03:02 PM
~Cat Servent~

I just looooove Chico's pigeons!!! We hardly have any here! I get mostly squirells(I never know if it's 2-l's or 2-r's...), smaller birds, jays, and tons of mourning doves and finches! I put out good shelled and unshelled peanuts, premium bird feed, and nyjer seed (the doves loooove the nyjer seed too, I even caught a couple teetering on the long feeder to get at it). I sometimes get the suet things for my suet basket too, but not always. Here are some of my visitors... I counted today and there were 12 finches on that sock at one point!!!
Attached Images

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” -Mahatma Gandhi

"We're the renegades, we're the people; With our own philosophies; We change the course of history; Everyday people like you and me"- R A T M
Old February 10th, 2009, 03:04 PM
~Cat Servent~

Chico's pigeons from the summer (I loved how the white one was in the center of all the others) and more of my doves...
Attached Images

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” -Mahatma Gandhi

"We're the renegades, we're the people; With our own philosophies; We change the course of history; Everyday people like you and me"- R A T M
Old February 10th, 2009, 03:33 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

I love your doves, kr.

We're seeing relatively few of those for some reason this winter...don't know why.

We are seeing huge flocks of finches, redpolls and siskins, though--had about 300 of them under the feeders yesterday, but I can't get any decent pics I definitely need a zoom or a telephoto lens.

Old February 10th, 2009, 05:20 PM
Senior Contributor

Aww Dahmer,we love our Pigeons too,we sometimes have as many as 40,we call them our chickens,because of the way they eat.
They come in so many different colors,some are really beautiful.
I also have tons of mourning-doves,at dusk,they will all be around my bird-bath(heated)as if they are having a conference.
They seem to be sleeping in my big tree,totally unprotected.
I too have a Niger-seed feeder,but seldom get more than a couple of Finches,love the sock-feeder,I have the metal-one.
They are beautiful birdies.
I remember one year,we kept an eye on a Mourning-Doves nest,they build almost in the open
I'll see if I can find the pic,there is mom and dad and one baby in the middle...sooo cute
There is also one of a pretty Pigeon,these pics were taken before I had my Digi-cam.
Attached Images

Old February 10th, 2009, 07:44 PM
~Cat Servent~

Aw a baby dove!! I don't see any nests around here for the doves ( I suspect these ones are in the big pine the neighbours have in their front yard as I hear them rustling and cooing in it at dusk in the summer), but then I haven't really looked, I keep an eye on one of the squirrel nests though ever since that darn hawk was parked right on top of it (I know it's nature and all but I went out and threw twigs at him to scare him off.... I don't think parking himself on top of their nest is fair!)

Old February 10th, 2009, 09:14 PM
Kitty pimp

lol pigieons live in a northeast city that and sparrows by the buketfull

I will ship pigions to anyone i will pay the postage any color any size have city attidute too
Old March 12th, 2009, 02:11 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Some redpolls from this morning. It was about -30 C with the windchill, but I sacrificed my fanny and my fingers just for you, Chris...

Name:  Camera 298.jpg
Views: 116
Size:  67.3 KB

Name:  Camera 304.jpg
Views: 111
Size:  62.8 KB

Name:  Camera 310.jpg
Views: 105
Size:  63.0 KB

That little rosy guy to the left in the last two pics was so beautiful! Unfortunately, with so much else to focus on, I couldn't manage to get him perfectly in focus. Oh, well....

I had to creep up within about 10 feet to get this pics with my little 3x zoom digital...took me the better part of a frigid hour. I'm just now beginning to feel my right thumb and index fingertip again

The things we do for our friends, eh?

Old March 12th, 2009, 02:27 PM
-

That little rosy guy sure is a cutie, also the one in the forefront on the right that is so busy eating.

You are truly an Hazel, I appreciate it immensely, every day I check to see if some kind 'friend' has posted some. I hope fanny will recover to do the same tomorrow

Thanks Hazel, you rock
Old March 12th, 2009, 02:35 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

I'm sitting on my fanny on a warm chair now, so it recovered quite quickly!

These are still winter birds. I'm hoping as Spring approaches, I'll be able to take advantage of some warmer weather to catch some spring action.

Old March 12th, 2009, 02:40 PM
-

You get Redpolls in winter? Whenever I have seen them, I take it as a sign of Spring. Did you get Redwing Blackbirds yet?
Old March 12th, 2009, 02:45 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Nope...no migratory blackbirds of any variety, and although I watched for them Monday on my way into town through farm country, no robins or bluebirds yet, either! I have a road maintenance class in town on St Paddy's Day--I'm hoping to see some migrants then!

The redpolls and siskins are only irruptive here--we rarely see them except as winter flocks that are displaced south due to scarcity of food.

Old March 12th, 2009, 02:49 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelrunpack View Post
Nope...no migratory blackbirds of any variety, and although I watched for them Monday on my way into town through farm country, no robins or bluebirds yet, either! I have a road maintenance class in town on St Paddy's Day--I'm hoping to see some migrants then!

Don't forget to take your camera with you then. Ethel saw "1" Robin in town yesterday

The redpolls and siskins are only irruptive here--we rarely see them except as winter flocks that are displaced south due to scarcity of food.
Really when you think about it why bother going south, when they can hang with you and eat all they want
Old March 12th, 2009, 02:52 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

I'll try to remember to take the old 35 mm manual--it's got a longer zoom on it. Pics from the car won't show much, if anything, with the 3x digital. If I get any pics with the SLR, though, it'll take a few weeks for me to get the pics developed and scanned. so don't hold your breath or doing anything else drastic.

Old March 12th, 2009, 02:58 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelrunpack View Post
, it'll take a few weeks for me to get the pics developed and scanned.

so don't hold your breath or doing anything else drastic.
Where is Frenchy's hanging smiley
Old March 12th, 2009, 03:05 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

If I can shoot enough frames from the car, I'll be able to turn in the film for processing in town after class. That'll make it faster...

Of course, first I have to get some pics That might not happen

Old March 12th, 2009, 03:47 PM
Senior Contributor

Chris,Hazel,I have red-wing blackbirds and blackbirds ,I was sooo excited when I saw them,no pics though:sad:I also saw some Siskins,did not know what they were until I checked my birdbook.
I also have lots of Robins
I have no idea what red-polls are,they look like House-Finches,but probably bigger..
Old March 12th, 2009, 04:04 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Actually, they're smaller than house finches, chico. About the size of the siskins and goldfinches.

Wow, if you guys are already seeing robins and blackbirds, they must be passing through here, too. It always takes them a while to find us out here in the woods, though.