Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old March 10th, 2004, 06:56 PM

Pregnant queen

I've read some of the threads but I need some help.
I have a cat from the local SPCA (I foster for them) She is pregnant but they don't know how pregnant she is.

When I got home tonight her rear end is wet but she is calm and purring and friendly as usual.

Is she in labour?
Old March 10th, 2004, 07:46 PM
Senior Contributor

A vaginal discharge is normal before labour begins. A cat in labor, or nearing it, will become restless and agitated and start licking herself frequently.

She may seem to be searching for a place to give birth, or may stick close by you. She may cry too.
Old March 10th, 2004, 07:46 PM
Senior Contributor

I'm not sure, but that could be a sign. Prepare a soft bed for her. A cardboard box works well. I'm sure everything will be OK.
Old March 11th, 2004, 08:22 AM

Smile Pregnant Queen

Thanks so much.
This morning she had two kittens in the closet where we had made her a bed. That's about 10 hours later. she seems fine I don't want to disturb her too much but I guess there could be more.
I'm really excited.
Should I buy formula in case there is a runt?
Old March 11th, 2004, 10:00 AM
Senior Contributor

If 10 hours has passed and she is still showing signs of labor or contractions, get her to the vet ASAP.

It is possible for a cat to have only two kittens, especially if she is very young.
Old March 11th, 2004, 10:45 AM

You may want to gently massage her stomach to see if there are any more babies. They will be fairly large, so you shouldn't have a problem determining if there are any left. If you think that there is one in there at all, get her to a vet! But like LR said, only having two kittens is possible if this is her first litter or if she was not in really great health when she became pregnant. The mother determines how many babies she will have and the dad determines the sex. Also, if the mother is doing fine and paying attention to her babies, you shouldn't need formula. But it sounds like she's a happy mommy so I'm sure she'll do fine. Post some pictures of the babies if you can!
Old March 11th, 2004, 01:40 PM

Smile Mom Cat - Esther

Thank you all for the advice. I have spoken to the SPCA to whom she really belongs and they are sending a vet to my home.
however she is looking good and attending to her babies.
She's purring and they seem to be latched nicely.

I just feel sad that she was abandoned in the first place I always want to adopt all the cats I foster!
Thanks again for the advice.
Old March 11th, 2004, 01:55 PM
Senior Contributor

You aren't in the Montreal area, by chance? We always need GOOD foster homes.

Edited to say: I see the SPCA is sending a vet to your house....nope, Definitely NOT the Montreal SPCA!
Old March 13th, 2004, 02:22 PM

Esther - mom cat

So I have to confess they called me back and gave me a bunch of instructions. After carrying these out they said the vet needn't come so he didn't but but she is fine and she has four beautiful and big babies. They are a golden blond one, two greys and a pure white one.

Now new question - I read that white cats are sometimes deaf? Is this true or is it only if they are pure bred?

I am in Southern Ontario and the SPCA here is pretty good but overwhelmed by needy cases. Too many neglected and abandoned mom cats. I have access to a SPCA vet usually but I often just absorb the cost and take the kittens to my own vet.
Old March 13th, 2004, 03:16 PM
Senior Contributor

Pure white cats, especially with blue eyes, can be deaf. But since kittens are all born deaf, you won't be able to tell for quite awhile yet!

Southern ON? If you would like, you can send me a pic and I will put them on a Petfinder site I run for someone near London.