Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Breed characteristics and traits

Old February 12th, 2008, 10:45 PM

Dog breeds most compatible with cats

I'm considering adopting a dog in the next few months. I have a 9 year old cat (domestic short hair) that is used to his space. Any suggestions on a dog breed that is good with kids and cats. BTW, I like medium to large size dogs -- Shepherds, Golden Retrievers, etc.

Thanks for your help!
Kim
Old February 12th, 2008, 10:52 PM
Swift Tribe

its totally up to the dog, talk to the foster parent abotu those. if you are looking for a direction to go in, start browsing the pups! im sure one will jump out at you. have you found www.petfinders.com yet?? be aware... its addicting!!!

-ashley

Swift Tribe-
Chris- Husband, 04/30/77
Cailyn- Daughter, 07/05/99
Jeffrey- Son, 03/24/06
Alex- Son, 03/25/09
Mister- Black LabX, M, 08/06(?)
The Shadow Stalker- Gray Tux DSH, M, 04/04
The Mighty Hunter- Black Tux DSH, M, 04/04
Baby Girl- Tabby DMH, F, 12/03(?)
Frances- Tortie, DSH, F, 2007(?)
Old February 12th, 2008, 11:29 PM

it does depend on the dog... there are dogs with higher prey drive, chase drive, but many times where you go to adopt the foster person or people there will have that information, that they are good with cats etc. so ask around about that.

also when you do bring in your new addition... make sure to go through the introduction slowly, keeping the dog leashed is a good way to start, to let your kitty get used to them little by little, and gated when you are not there to monitor. I know there are many that have invaluable suggestions around introductions. Your attitude, assertiveness, leadership role with the new dog makes all the difference as well, establishing the pack order making them feel loved, comfortable, but also able to understand that your kitty is a higher pack member if you see any tension, or other issues.

Really there are tons of cats, dogs that get along beautifully, and i love seeing those pictures over and over I was concerned about the same thing bringing in Riker with Pantera who was 10 at the time. They arent best of friends, although Riker would like to be.. but they get closer every day, she will sit beside him know, and rubs noses with him from time to time.
Post pics when you can of your kitty, and when you bring in your new addition!
Old February 14th, 2008, 12:16 PM

I'd agree with the other two here. I had a hound that was fantastic with cats (indoors only though - outdoors he liked to chase), fostered a yellow lab that was one of the most preditory dogs I've ever seen, and now I've got a rottweiler that's good with them. I've got one brother who has an irish wolfhound that's great with cats, and another brother with a collie that gets along just fine with his cat.

If you're adopting, try and get a dog that's more of an indoor dog than an outdoor. If you get a puppy and raise it with the cat you've got to worry more about the cat harming the puppy than the puppy harming the cat.
Old February 14th, 2008, 01:32 PM

Our Staffie lives and plays with two cats on a daily basis. The cat were three and eight , PJ was 4 when they met, best of buds, sometimes hilarious to watch them at play.
Old February 14th, 2008, 01:59 PM
Senior Contributor
Typing Test Champion, Curveball Champion, Mahjong Champion, Zookeeper Champion

My breed aren't known for a high prey drive. That being said, my first dog, Freddie, got along fine with the cats after getting his nose scratched by them a few times as a pup and he hated other dogs. But would chase rabbits or raccoons.
My last dog, Yogi, he loved the cats, indoor or outdoor as long as he knew them, he never chased any animal. He would bark at a new stray cat until we told him it was okay. He was also afraid of other dogs.
Now the puppies. They love the cats, but they also love to chase them if the cats decide to run. They bark at any wild animals they see and they chase squirrels. Would also chase skunks, raccoons or possums if given a chance. Both these guys seem to have a high prey drive. The little guy more so than the bigger one, the bigger one will not get as bent out of shape about wildlife as the little guy does.
So same breed, 4 dogs, all different.

Cindy
Old February 14th, 2008, 03:25 PM
Papa D

i think its up to both the cat and dog.

in my house we had a 5-6 year beagle.....then got a cat...then another...then another.....then we got a pit cross 3 years ago....and now we have a 7month jack .....all 6 get along great

now if the kids where like the pets...
Beathoven 7 year old mutt
Maggie 5 year jack russell
Felix 15 year tabby
Ozzie 12 year tabby
Tigger 10 year long hair cat
marley just a pup
sasha grand pup___________________________________________________________
Lettin the cat outta the bag is a whole lot easier than puttin it back in.

Most of the stuff people worry about ain't gonna happen anyway.
Old May 22nd, 2010, 11:11 AM

Exclamation

Yah... Uh. Why doesn't anyone on posts at least put a small list of dogs that are good with cats? I am always on posts.. They just say research! Thats what I have been trying to do! But all the options lead to POSTS and I get the SAME answer!
Or they say stay away from prey driven dogs... Duh! But the question is which breeds are prey driven?
Or stay away from the terriers and the hounds and the hunting dogs! Well what types should I go to?
What I think is people shouldn't list dogs to stay away from but dogs to go to.
When people list dogs to stay away from its just like saying: "Stay away from these ones." "Well what about other dogs? You only listed these ones!" "So? "
It may help by telling you to stay away... But you CAN NOT list every dog that isn't good with cats. So if you list five dogs those that mean all other dogs are good with cats? No! Just list top ten dog breeds good with cats. They can look those up afterwards with out having to ask post which breed is best with cats!
It is much easier.... to those I offended.
And I am a bit
Old May 22nd, 2010, 11:16 AM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueworld View Post
Yah... Uh. Why doesn't anyone on posts at least put a small list of dogs that are good with cats? I am always on posts.. They just say research!
well trueworld , there's no list of breeds good or bad with cats , all dogs are different , some Goldens might be good with cats , while some Goldens are not.

Yes you do have to research when you want to adopt a dog ! You can't get a dog just because it's ok with cats. It has to also fit your lifestyle. If you look at petfinder , where rescues , humane societies and shelters post dogs up for adoption , every dog has a description explaining what type of families they need , if that peticular dog is ok with other dogs , with cats , with kids ...

sorry but you do have to do your own research. there's no magic breeds of dogs that are all ok with cats.

It also depends on the cat. Some cats just don't like dogs.

Last edited by Frenchy; May 22nd, 2010 at 11:23 AM.
Old May 22nd, 2010, 04:47 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueworld View Post
Yah... Uh. Why doesn't anyone on posts at least put a small list of dogs that are good with cats? I am always on posts.. They just say research! Thats what I have been trying to do! But all the options lead to POSTS and I get the SAME answer!
Or they say stay away from prey driven dogs... Duh! But the question is which breeds are prey driven?
Or stay away from the terriers and the hounds and the hunting dogs! Well what types should I go to?
What I think is people shouldn't list dogs to stay away from but dogs to go to.
When people list dogs to stay away from its just like saying: "Stay away from these ones." "Well what about other dogs? You only listed these ones!" "So? "
It may help by telling you to stay away... But you CAN NOT list every dog that isn't good with cats. So if you list five dogs those that mean all other dogs are good with cats? No! Just list top ten dog breeds good with cats. They can look those up afterwards with out having to ask post which breed is best with cats!
It is much easier.... to those I offended.
And I am a bit
I don't think you've offended anyone.

The reason people don't tend to post BREEDS that are and aren't prey driven is because people then assume they can pick one of the breeds that aren't bred to be prey driven and they will be fine with their cats, which is absolutely NOT true.
That's why people say stay away from prey driven DOGS not prey driven BREEDS. The individual dog needs to be assessed on whether it is prey driven or not, not by breed. ANY dog of ANY breed has the capability of having a strong prey drive. There is no answer as to a specific breed that will be fine with small animals.

I disagree with people that say stay away from breeds like terriers, hounds and other hunting dogs. Many of these individuals do just fine with cats, and on the flip side, many dogs that don't fall under these breeds will not be able to live with cats.

Quote:
Just list top ten dog breeds good with cats. They can look those up afterwards with out having to ask post which breed is best with cats!
The point is there ARE no top ten dog breeds, or top five, or even one breed that is good with cats. If you look on petfinder you will see dogs of ALL breeds that can NOT be adopted out to households with cats. Prey driven isn't dependent on breed, it's dependent on individual. While there are breeds that are bred to hunt and such, they are bred to have a specific personality that allows the owner to easily use them for specific tasks, such as a certain type of hunting, and many of these dogs still do not make the grade as good hunting dogs. People that buy dogs for hunting will even assess each individual dog for prey drive and other factors to see if they will excel at whatever type of hunting or sporting event they are trying to compete in.

And even DESPITE prey drive, a lot of it has to do with how the dog has been raised to act around small animals. I had a minpin and a GSD mix both which had a huge prey drive, yet they lived peacefully indoors with my cats because they were trained not to bother them. I now have a malamute mix with a huge prey drive and she is being taught to respect the cats. Prey drive, then, isn't a good indicator whether the dog will go after your cats IN THE HOUSE once trained not to do so.

Making the mistake of looping dog breeds together and choosing based on that variable is a recipe for disappointment. MANY people on here have chosen dogs based on breed and come for advice as to why their dog doesn't fall under the supposed personality of the breed, because they did not pick the dog based on its individual temperament! You must choose based on individual personality as that's the biggest factor!

Last edited by MyBirdIsEvil; May 22nd, 2010 at 04:52 PM.
Old May 22nd, 2010, 07:39 PM
Senior Contributor

Dog breeds most

If you adopt through a rescue organization they are very informed through the foster parents about each dog's individual personalities, likes and dislikes and which dog has previously lived with cats and is less likely to have a high prey drive, irregardless of breed.
Old May 25th, 2010, 11:52 AM

Spca will tell you if dog is ok with cats

Have you considered your local Humane Society?

Most Humane Society organizations do testing of any animals they accept to determine if the dog is good with cats and other small animals, and they often have pure bred (if that's what you're looking for) animals, sometimes puppies, sometimes older.

It's true about each dog being unique in its tolerance to cats, regardless of its breed.

One of my dogs is a Shar Pei who has a very high prey drive - on our walks she's constantly scoping out the landscape for squirrels to chase. However, at home she's OK with my own cats, and actually even "mothers" one of them a bit (the neediest one, who was taken away from her mother too early.) She was brought into my home as a puppy, and the cats were already there, so she took it in stride and is very tolerant of them.
Old June 27th, 2010, 02:48 PM

I think it depends on where you are getting the dog from. If he or she is coming from a shelter, they should be able to tell you whether or not the dog is good with cats. In general, I think you can socialize just about any breed of dog with cats, and you have an even better chance if it's a puppy. To say there is one breed that is or isn't good with cats is hard to say, because I have yet to experience a "breed" that is bad with them. I have a Miniature Schnauzer who is GREAT with my cats, and I used to have a Cocker Spaniel when I was little who was also GREAT with cats, and my neighbors Doberman was great with their cats, and my best friends Queensland Heeler (a very prey driven breed of dog) is also great with her cats. So it's hard to give you a concrete answer!
Old June 27th, 2010, 03:53 PM

I have done lots of research on this topic too, some of the breeds that I keep coming across as being really good with other animals and kids include Collies, Keeshonds, and Standard Poodles
Old June 28th, 2010, 11:06 AM
Senior Contributor

I had a Neopolitan that had a huge prey drive but my English had no problem with cats. So it really does depend on the dog. I know it does not answer your question but as everyone has said if you rescue they should be able to give you the best info. Let them know you are looking for a cat friendly dog it will help them to help you.
Now owned by Clark the Crazy American Bulldog
Old June 28th, 2010, 12:33 PM

Check this link out: http://dogbreedinfo.com/petreliability.htm

It is a basic list of dog breeds and their respective (and supposed) "Reliability with Non-Canine Pets". Like everyone has said so far, you cannot account for the individual dog by reading a list like this. Considering the breed is important but there will always be deviations from the "norm".

You have to consider your individual animals and their introduction. There is no magical list that will guarantee a Golden Retreiver and a Cat will get along over a pitbull and a cat.

If you get a puppy there might be a greater chance of the dog - no matter the breed- to accept your cat. But, If you adopt an adult with proven abilities of loving kitties, then it is much more of a guarantee, in my opinion.
Old June 29th, 2010, 02:11 AM
Senior Contributor

I would say "most" shih tzus would be good with cats because they were bred to be companions and they are not hyper, they are a calm type of dog. They are also good with kids.

Debbie

~Tegan 9 year old yellow lab~
~Wilbur 9 year old LH cat~
~Mirabelle 18 mos dsh~
~O'Shawnnessey 18 mos dsh~
~Darby 1 year old dsh~
~Mindy 7 yr old shih tzu~
~Dexter 10yr old Salmon (large goldfish)
Old June 29th, 2010, 02:15 PM
Senior Contributor

I haven't read all the responses but mine will be the same as others or I am repeating myself from previous threads. Go to a rescue that already have dogs in foster homes that are currently living with cats. If not that, then go to the shelter and they will share with you the previous owners home situation and behaviour of the dog.

There is no breed that is known to be 100% cat friendly. There are many circumstances that would dictate whether or not a dog is good with cats. There are however certain breeds that have a very specific prey drive (huskies for instance) that are known not to be great with cats. Again - I have met some huskies that were infact wonderful with cats, but again it is due to how the dog was brought up and corrected.

My response remains the same. Go to a rescue group.

Good luck.
Old June 30th, 2010, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tundra_Queen View Post
I would say "most" shih tzus would be good with cats because they were bred to be companions and they are not hyper, they are a calm type of dog. They are also good with kids.

Debbie
haha every shih ztu I've met has been out of control and hyper!
Old June 30th, 2010, 01:55 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by .unknown. View Post
haha every shih ztu I've met has been out of control and hyper!
Well then unknown - you have not met my foster shih zsu. He is the most calm, loving and well behaved dog I have ever had.

He does not know it, but he is terminal. Unfortunately a valve in his heart is faulty so he is on borrowed time which is ok as he is living his life to the fullest.

Anyways - I did not want to take away from this thread but I do want to emphasize that there is not one known breed that is guaranteed great with cats. They are all as individual as we are. There are many factors that make dogs either good or not so good with cats.
Old July 2nd, 2010, 05:01 PM
Administrator - Pet lover

Quote:
There is no breed that is known to be 100% cat friendly. There are many circumstances that would dictate whether or not a dog is good with cats. There are however certain breeds that have a very specific prey drive (huskies for instance) that are known not to be great with cats. Again - I have met some huskies that were infact wonderful with cats, but again it is due to how the dog was brought up and corrected.
I agree with this 100%.
A LOT also has to do with a dog's experience with cats when they were puppies. In my experience, many breeds of dog can get along well with cats if they were raised with cats.
Newcomers FAQ - How do I post on this BB?
Pet facebook group
Check out the Pet podcast
Follow me on Twitter
Old July 3rd, 2010, 03:05 AM
Senior Contributor

Unknown, that's a good link. Pretty accurate with my two breeds, shelties are generally good with other pets, while on the whole Australian Cattle Dogs are not, although having said that, my two current cattle dogs really like cats.
Old July 6th, 2010, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMax View Post
Well then unknown - you have not met my foster shih zsu. He is the most calm, loving and well behaved dog I have ever had.

He does not know it, but he is terminal. Unfortunately a valve in his heart is faulty so he is on borrowed time which is ok as he is living his life to the fullest.

Anyways - I did not want to take away from this thread but I do want to emphasize that there is not one known breed that is guaranteed great with cats. They are all as individual as we are. There are many factors that make dogs either good or not so good with cats.
That just simply further illustrates the point myself and everyone else is trying to make; it depends on the individual dog, their personality and training.
Old July 6th, 2010, 11:09 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by .unknown. View Post
That just simply further illustrates the point myself and everyone else is trying to make; it depends on the individual dog, their personality and training.
Then point well taken!
Old July 6th, 2010, 03:56 PM