Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Closed Thread

Old June 11th, 2006, 12:45 PM

Very Sad story

Well, i hoped this wouldnt happen but it did. My puppy died. :sad: We done everything in our power to save her. We took her to the hospital but she was sooo bad, they had to put her under. Come to find out, the lady that sold me the pups, sold A WHOLE LITTER OF SICK PUPPIES. I talked to one of the ladies last night that bought two of them, and hers died as well. They all had Parvo. Ticks me off. FIrst of all, im ticked off because she got rid of them sooo early. The hosptial doc told us that the puppy wasnt as old as the lady claimed she was. He said she was about 3-4 weeks old if that. He said she needs to be turned in for selling them so young, AND selling them while being soooo deadly ill. Im am very very upset. I sat up all night last night crying. I was so hurt by this. AND FOR THOSE OF YOU THAT THINK I DONT CARE ABOUT MY ANIMALS, WELL YOUR WRONG, so Please dont judge me. I may not say things the right way sometimes on my threads, but i care about my dogs like my own children. I have been very down and depressed about Zoey dying. I was sooo attatched to her. I stayed up all hours of the night the past week feeding her every couple hours and holding her to comfort her. I do care. Im sorry if i made any of you think i dont care cause i do.

Anyways, The lady i talked to that bought her puppies and theyd died, she is pressing charges, we are pressing charges, the vet said they would, and my father in law is too. We are all very upset, and we did what we could do to save her. So now, we have to watch Valentine very very closely from here on out, and hope and pray she dont catch it. She has had her first set of shots, were taking her this week to get her second set. So please, keep us in your thoughts and prayers.

My daughters ages 6,and 4, were very upset when they heard that she died. It was hard explaining it to them. So please, pray for us.
Old June 11th, 2006, 02:30 PM
Blue eyed funny farm

IM sorry that you had to go through this, its never easy losing a pet, no matter how long you have had it.
I hope that your children and yourself recover from this.
However, please be sure that the next time you chose to adopt another puppy from a "breeder" that it is a reputable breeder. I know this pup was an 'impulse' buy. There is a reason that most if not all people on this forum are so against BYB's and this is why. A 4 week old pup ridden with parvo, really had little or no chance.
As far as Valentine, I hope she is alright, parvo is HIGHLY contagious, and only having her first set of needles doenst offer up much protection. That is why there are 3 sets. I also am asuming that Valentine who is approx 6 months now? is late on her needles ( seeing as though it is supposed to be 4 weeks between first and second needles). I hope that she didnt contract parvo!
Old June 11th, 2006, 02:50 PM

Yeah it is hard on us right now. But we did all we could do. She was such a cute adorable baby. Its sad that this happened to her.

As for Valentine, no matter how many shots she has had. The vet said that she could still get it. he said there is a "chance" she could get it. he told us to wash everything and everywhere the puppy has been in bleach. He said we SHOULD not get another puppy for AT LEAST a year. so thats what were gonna do. Im not chancing another baby dying on me. Im just so upset over this.
Old June 11th, 2006, 04:24 PM

I'm sorry you lost your puppy, but honestly, as said in the other thread, 4 weeks is way too young and any breeder selling them at that age is just unethical.. This was bound to happen.:sad: Btw, didn't you already know the pup was 4 weeks? I thought that that was what you said in the other thread. Why is that news?

I hope you take a break and work on the dog you already have for a little while longer before considering another puppy.
Old June 11th, 2006, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prin
I'm sorry you lost your puppy, but honestly, as said in the other thread, 4 weeks is way too young and any breeder selling them at that age is just unethical.. This was bound to happen.:sad: Btw, didn't you already know the pup was 4 weeks? I thought that that was what you said in the other thread. Why is that news?

I hope you take a break and work on the dog you already have for a little while longer before considering another puppy.

When i got her last week well we got her on the 2nd of June, they told me she was four weeks old. The vet last night said she was 3-4 weeks if that. The lady lied to us to get rid of them.

Trust me, we are gonna wait. We have to wait at least a year before we bring another dog into the house. IT takes a year for the parvo to die out.
Old June 11th, 2006, 04:26 PM

Please also take precautions if you VISIT anyone with an unvaccinated puppy, or a pregnant mother dog.

Also a good idea to put a tray of bleach solution by your door to dip your shoes in when you come in from the back yard (assuming the puppy was in the backyard). Parvo can live in the soil too, I believe.
Old June 11th, 2006, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaytris
Please also take precautions if you VISIT anyone with an unvaccinated puppy, or a pregnant mother dog.

Also a good idea to put a tray of bleach solution by your door to dip your shoes in when you come in from the back yard (assuming the puppy was in the backyard). Parvo can live in the soil too, I believe.

Yes, Parvo can also come from soil, that u are correct. We actually took her out front, cause we have out other dog outback, and out back is where we let Valentine go. We are already aware of the bleach and our shoes and stuff. Trust me we are taking precautions.
Old June 11th, 2006, 04:37 PM
Senior Contributor

I"m so sorry for this poor little puppy who never had a chance.

Parvo is an extremely stable and hardy virus that can live for many months, even outside in the soil and even in freezing temperatures. IF your puppy relieved itself outside, you need to soak the ground there with bleach.

Why has your other puppy had only one set of vaccinations at 6 months old?
She is now at risk for getting this highly contagious disease. Incubation period is usually around 10 days.
Old June 11th, 2006, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Rescue
I"m so sorry for this poor little puppy who never had a chance.

Parvo is an extremely stable and hardy virus that can live for many months, even outside in the soil and even in freezing temperatures. IF your puppy relieved itself outside, you need to soak the ground there with bleach.

Why has your other puppy had only one set of vaccinations at 6 months old?
She is now at risk for getting this highly contagious disease. Incubation period is usually around 10 days.

Weve been having problems with the vet. Thats why shes only had one set. But we are taking her to a differnet vet this week. The other vet gave us too much problems.
Old June 11th, 2006, 08:21 PM
Performance Spaniels

Having both dogs in your home puts every animal at risk for parvo. It can live something like 5-7 or so YEARS... Unless you bleach every surface that may have come into contact with it, you may have problems even years from now.

You should have gotten a new vet a long time ago. You may make your other dog seriously ill or potentially kill it by the neglect in not getting all the dog's shots on time. Problems with the vet isn't an excuse to not get puppy shots, but now the dog either has it or not. So it's too late to do much about parvo contact now.
Closed Thread