Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old December 14th, 2003, 04:10 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Pregnant Husky Rescue

About a month or so ago my neighbours rescued a female husky from the local shelter. Well, actually they bumped into the owner of the dog as she was 'surrendering' it to the pound. They spoke with one another, and my neighbours happily took the dog from her without the involvement of the shelter!

The female dog is about a year old, if that and was neglected as she has an injured front paw from a fracture that wasn't reset and now walks on the bend of the leg.

Her new owners want to give her surgery to repair the fracture, which means a rebreak and set and cast. Lots for a young dog to go through but hopefully will give her happier days ahead.

Here's the kicker!!

They just found out from their vet that the dog is pregnant!

AH HA! The injury wasn't the only reason the owners wanted rid of this beautiful girl.

She's supposed to give birth within the next month. I'll keep you updated on all the news on her. Going to talk to her parents to see if they want to post the adoption of the new pups to be on here! Will take a pic of her soon and get it up if they agree.

Any tid bits or advise I can pass along to them would be appreciated. Especially about the birth of the pups and the fracture.

ALSO if anyone knows of a great orthopaedic surgeon in the Toronto area ... I'll pass it on to them. The one I know of moved far out to the country.

Just makes me sick!! A beautiful snowy day and this girl can't enjoy to play in the snow. WHICH by the way is her name, SNOW!

She is just beautiful!

Luba
Old December 14th, 2003, 07:06 PM
Senior Contributor

Many will not agree with me, but if the dog is only halfway through her pregnancy, the best solution may be to spay (abort) her right now.

The world doesn't need another possible 10 mixed breed dogs to find homes for.

These people have no way of knowing what breed the father is. If he was large, they may need to do a C-section on this dog. Plus trying to find responsible, lifetime homes for a mixed breed litter is not easy. It's hard enough with purebreds.

If they are not prepared to make contracts regarding s/n (or do it themselves) and take back any of the puppies at any time in their lives I dont' think they should let the pregnancy continue. If all the puppies don't get homes, are these people prepared to keep 6,7 or 8 dogs for life or even until they are 7 or 8 months old?

So many things can go wrong with whelping. I hope they are fully prepared for the stress, taking time off from their jobs, handfeeding if the bitch refuses to feed, expense and incredible amount of work that is involved in this undertaking.

If they are determined, here is a site that has a bunch of links on whelping and raising a litter of pups.
Raising puppies
Old December 14th, 2003, 09:03 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Thx LR

I do see your point for certain. There's no way of knowing what breed the father was, not at all.

What they hoped on doing was raising enough money through the adoption of the pups to pay for the surgery for the adult female.

I don't know these people well, as they are new to the neighbourhood, they do seem to be very nice and are good to the lovely dog. A hard decision, but you know if it were me, I would opt to do as you suggest.

I have to admit though, that I had not even thought this was done with dogs. Other then rescuing Honey from the pound, all of my dogs have just so happened to be male.

I'm happy for your information. I'll take a look at the link now and maybe print some information out to them. Not sure if they thought about the whelping experience being so difficult and time consuming.

You're always a smartie pants!!

Luba
Old December 15th, 2003, 10:14 PM
Senior Contributor

Ooops - I missed the part where you said this dog is 1 yr old - a puppy herself.

Way too young to be having a litter. She may very well have complications, or be unable or refuse to care for the puppies at her age.

It would be an act of kindness to this dog to have her spayed, and concentrate on getting her healthy instead of making her have a litter.
Old December 15th, 2003, 11:39 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

I agree LR

I am not sure how far along she is, I haven't been able to catch the owners at home but gonna try again tomorrow.
Old December 18th, 2003, 12:11 PM

I had a husky that had puppies when she was about 1yr or 1 1/2 yrs.old.

My husky was purebreed. I was 18yrs old when I got her from the pet store ( i know puppy mills, i didn't know that at the time).
Any way my roommate had a male mixed breed dog. He was lab, rottie, shepard mix. He (my friend) was supposed to be dog sitting for me. Yeah right, I come home to see his dog is stuck to my dog and I knew what happened.

She got pregnant. On top of all this I had to move, I could support my husky and her soon to be puppies. My parents (thank God for them) helped me out. They took my husky (Sheeba) and when she had her puppies, they went to my family members. Lucky for me I had great family members who took her puppies. I'm grateful for them.

I did get my sheeba spayed she can no longer have pups. Sheeba and her pups have all good homes. My parents have sheeba and two of her pups (which are grown up now). Sheeba didn't have any problems w/delivery. Everything went ok. As for the fracture sorry I can't help you w/that.

I can admit that I was irresponsible back then. I now have 3 kids and 3 dogs and married and is very responsible. I also have a total different outlook on breeding. As we were thinking of breeding our German Shepard (not anymore). Sorry if I got off the topic, but I wanted to let you know that my husky's delivery went ok.
Old December 18th, 2003, 03:27 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Thank you Daisy

I'm not so sure my neighbours are completely receptive to what LR and I were discussing. It seems like the dog is quite far along in the pregnancy as well.

I am glad your dog faired well and the pups all have great homes. I can hope only for the best in this situation too
Old December 18th, 2003, 06:15 PM

Luba,

Your welcome and can you keep me posted? I understand what you and LR are saying about the overpopulated puppies, but maybe your neighbors can find good homes for this pups too. I would hate to see her lose her babies.
Old December 18th, 2003, 07:32 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Yes Daisy I'm definitely going to keep this posted.

I am worried because chances are these pups are mixed, and with what we will not know until they are born...if ever! The owners are inexperienced, they rent a basement apt, the mom has the fracture and is a puppy herself. It's one of those situations that I bet they're struggling with making a decision on themselves.

I'm giving them a couple of days and gonna go reapproach them, I don't want to seem overly direct or pushy.

Luba
Old December 18th, 2003, 09:59 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
The owners are inexperienced, they rent a basement apt, the mom has the fracture and is a puppy herself.
A recipe for disaster. I realize they have good intentions, but I hope they know that if even ONE puppy ends up in a shelter or is dumped or abused or allowed to have a litter, they have done way more harm than good.

The saying "The road to Hell is paved with good intentions" is sadly very true.
Old December 19th, 2003, 06:54 AM
Senior Contributor

Since they seem like caring people, can you perhaps stress the importance of having the Husky spayed to prevent further injury & stress on her body - not to mention the difficulty of dealing with a litter and trying to find homes for them?

What Lucky said.
Old December 19th, 2003, 09:50 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

I'm tryin Carina believe me I am trying!

They are kind and timid people and sometimes don't completely understand all that I say but I am trying

Usually they're home more on weekends so this weekend I'm gonna stop by to see how the dogs doing.
Old December 20th, 2003, 06:27 AM
Senior Contributor

Well good luck!
I'm on a local raw-feeding list and someone in Great Dane rescue here took in a very pregnant bitch who promptly had 11 puppies (nine survived.) They're having a hard time finding people who will take them - yes they are 100% Dane, from a puppy mill situation as I understand it. And momma dog isn't producing enough milk...I'm not sure of the problem...so they are using the replacement stuff from the vet and volunteers are making sure the pups are getting fed every couple of hours. It's lots of work (and money.)

They're being quite picky about potential homes and will be doing a pediatric spay-neuter on the pups before they go. I believe they'll be ready sometime in January, if anyone from Michigan is interested let me know! I'm pretty sure they don't have them all placed yet.
Old December 26th, 2003, 08:28 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

THE PUPPIES ARE HERE!!!

Snow had a litter of 7 pups!

I have not yet seen them but am told they are doing fine and mama is well. Pups are just over a week old now. There doesn't seem to be any nursing troubles from what I gather.

I'll keep you posted and let you know whats going on with the puppies and mama! I don't know a whole lot more at this time.

Luba
Old December 29th, 2003, 05:36 PM

Thanks for the update Luba.

Glad to hear the pups and mama are doing well.
Old December 30th, 2003, 03:26 PM

Carina,

this is off topic, but there is another thread where a gentleman is looking for a great dane!!! He is located in Saskatchewan, Canada, however, but perhaps it's a chance happening for one of those 9 puppies? If I listened to myself, I'd take two or three.. so it's a good thing I'm not listening to myself!!!!