Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old February 13th, 2010, 09:24 AM

Question Introducing spayed female cat to my unneutered male

So I have been looking for a cheap place to neuter my male 6 month old kitten but he isn't neutered yet and I am getting a female cat who is the same age given to me today. However she is spayed. I know that I don't have to worry about her getting pregnant but will my male cat try to mate with her and hurt her? Does anyone have any advice on how to introduce them to each other. I don't want my male cat to get mad and spray and I don't want him to hurt her.

Last edited by bskillings; February 13th, 2010 at 09:27 AM. Reason: spelling errors
Old February 13th, 2010, 09:51 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Your male is still a kitten, yes mature enough to make kitties, but since the female is spayed and won't be going into heat I wouldn't worry too much about him hurting her. I do, though, highly recommend you get him neutered ASAP to avoid a permanent habit of spraying.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old February 13th, 2010, 11:59 AM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

My favourite site for introducing kitties. There is tons of useful info here.

http://www.squidoo.com/multi-cat-management

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old February 14th, 2010, 08:17 AM

Smile

Thank you for the advice. Unfortunately I got the other cat before I read that page. I did put the new cat in the bathroom with water and a litter box when I brought her home. I tried to introduce them using treets and lots of praise in soft tones to both cats. However they ended up fighting a bit which is normal. They hissed and growled alot and swatted at each other. When things got too intense I used toys to distract them. I put the new kitty in the bathroom overnight because I was afriad that they would hurt each other. Today they seem a bit better. They're chasing each other and sniffing each other. There has been some growling and hissing coming from the female today though because the male has decided to try and mate with her. She's fixed though and won't let him. If you have any aditional advice on how to make things better between them let me know!
Old February 14th, 2010, 08:34 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

How long ago was she spayed? If it has been recently, she may still have some hormones, which is what your male may be smelling.

It is very normal for the new kitties to be hissing. Can you give her some time to explore the house on her own with your male locked up for a bit?

Feeding them treats at a closed door may help. They will associate each other smells with eating treats.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old February 14th, 2010, 08:48 AM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

It is not going to hurt for you to separate them now and start over with the intros. As for the trying to mate - your boy needs to get fixed. That's the only thing that is going to stop him.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!

Tags
cat