Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > In the News - Pet related articles and stories in the press > Newspaper Articles of Interest (animal/pet related) from Around the World

Old August 6th, 2006, 04:39 PM

Stolen Pitbull Worth $10,000

A 3-year-old pit bull worth $10,000 was stolen Thursday from a South Yarmouth home on Buckwood Drive. The dog was due to deliver next week, which may have motivated the thieves. Each puppy may be worth up to $1,500.

http://www.myfoxboston.com/myfox/pag...Y&pageId=3.1.1
Old August 6th, 2006, 04:56 PM
Senior Contributor

Ok. Princess is worth maybe a couple of hundred dollars - same for her pups. I sure didn't hear any mention of the fact that she is a Champion showdog and I am willing to bet that if she was a fabulous titled dog, the press would have made a huge deal about it.

I am willing to bet that I can get a rottweiler puppy from a COE breeder - both parents being Champions and probably pointed in other venues, if not finished for less then $1500!

Sorry, but it looks like some backyard breeder had their dog stolen. The local police might want to check where the local dog fighters hang out to find Princess.

Last edited by LavenderRott; August 6th, 2006 at 10:46 PM.
Old August 6th, 2006, 05:53 PM

I think this is so wrong... i dont know anything about that dog but i feel for her... she must be under stress to deliver and now she has been stole from her loved ones.... This is absolutly wrong and I hope justice will be done. Those puppy deserve good homes and i dont think the thieves will bother about who's getting them, as long as they show cash money.
Obviously, if its a BYB that was owning the dog, i hope they will spay their bitch and learn a lesson of life.
Old August 6th, 2006, 06:57 PM
Senior Contributor

This article has more details, but it still doesn't say how they came up with the $10,000 figure.

http://cbs4boston.com/local/local_story_217142336.html

As a sidenote though, where I'm from, wellbred registered pitbull puppies normally run around $800 and can bring up to $1000. The amount of money people will offer for a wellbred pitbull is ridiculous.
It's because a lot of people think it would make them look cool or tough to have a pitbull, and it's not just dog fighters byb's and bad owners that think this, a lot of people that take care of their dogs, treat them well and have the money to spend think this also.

It's hard to find a pitbull (especially in the city, but all over the u.s) that's purebred, doesn't have health issues, and actually LOOKS like what people think of as a pitbull, so I think this is why some people are willing to pay so much.

Last edited by MyBirdIsEvil; August 6th, 2006 at 06:59 PM.
Old August 6th, 2006, 09:35 PM

I know some super show doggy rotties that were bought from Germany for $4000 each. It is possible, depending on the lines...
Old August 6th, 2006, 10:45 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prin
I know some super show doggy rotties that were bought from Germany for $4000 each. It is possible, depending on the lines...
I know Prin, but those are dogs are proven.

If Princess had those kinds of lines, you can bet that the press would have been all over it.