Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time! > Senior dogs

Old January 25th, 2011, 10:31 PM

Thanks Scottiedog I am always surprised to hear that I am unusual when it comes to my adopted pets. I love them all no matter how long they've been with me and I hope others are the same but I do know they aren't Since I found out after I adopted him that he was actually 12 yrs old, not 11 as I had been told, I have wanted more time with him. Since he is part beagle and part spaniel, beagles often live to 17 from what I've read. I hoped he would last at least a couple of years. Now with this diagnosis I'm celebrating each day he is with me and doing everything I can to give him the best treatment possible.

I don't know if the herbs will help but I added Slippery Elm to the mix yesterday. He is still eating well and wants treats and his car rides. He seems stronger at present and is taking on the cats for his position in the family.

Something makes me wonder about his diagnosis, his fur seems to be getting thicker and shinier than it was before I started the diet. I wonder how his fur can look and feel so healthy when he is supposedly dying. Maybe the diet, herbs and other supplements are working to reduce the tumour cells or something. Whatever it is I hope his insides are being treated the same

I can't find any information about what happens to their fur when a dog has cancer but if it's like a human, their hair looks lifeless and dull usually when they have cancer. Does anyone have any information about it? I'd really like to know.
Old January 29th, 2011, 09:40 PM

Things don't look so good today

Sadly things don't look good starting yesterday when he vomited 3 times. I had added the new herbs the day before as well as yesterday so I don't know if that's what started this.

Today he has slept most of the day other than wanting to stay outside lying in the snow for over a half an hour. He was eating the snow as well. He got up and came to me about feeding time and I mixed up rice and chicken broth, his metacam and Uba-vet and offered it to him. He immediately got up and went back to his bed and I haven't been able to coax him out of there since. He didn't sniff or touch the food so I've put it in the fridge hoping that at treat time he'll come and try some. He also doesn't seem to be drinking either so I don't know if there is something else going on as well.

I think Monday, if he makes it that long, will be decision day I spoke to the vet on Friday with an update but at that time he was still fine and hadn't vomited yet. Please pray for us and keep us in your thoughts again

You guys have been incredible during this and I hope I am surprised again by him, but I have a feeling I'm not going to be.

A big hug to all of you
Old January 29th, 2011, 09:42 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

You have been a rock through all of this mf. Raggs knows how much he is loved thanks to you.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old January 29th, 2011, 10:01 PM
Senior Contributor
Tetris Champion, Cell-Out Champion

I'm sorry to hear he is not doing too well. You will both be in my thoughts and prayers. I hope that he does surprise you again.

"Who can believe that there is no soul behind those luminous eyes!" ~ Theophile Gautier

"Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole" - Ok... whoever said this has never had a sick or special needs baby. They ARE our whole life!

R.I.P. my sweet, handsome Thorin. You are missed dearly Dec. 25, 1999 - Mar. 4, 2012
Old January 29th, 2011, 11:36 PM
-

Hopefully it is the new herbs you added that are responsible and he'll start to feel better by tomorrow.

Sending lots more your way for Raggs.
Old January 30th, 2011, 08:42 AM
Senior Contributor

I am so sorry,you must be in turmoil,it is so very difficult
You know that when the time comes for Raggs,we are all here for you
Old January 30th, 2011, 08:54 AM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

dbg10 sending positive vibes your way and hoping you will have some more time...thank you for giving him the time you have your an Angel!
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old January 30th, 2011, 08:56 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

I hope this is just a blip and he recovers . Great big for you.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old January 30th, 2011, 03:28 PM
-

How is Raggs today?
Old January 30th, 2011, 08:57 PM

Know that we are here for you. I hope this was a small bump and things are looking better for Raggs. I understand the seriousness of his condition. Sending you and Raggs prayers for continued strength.

Remember, Raggs isn't afraid to go and has no fear. All he knows is love. Look into his eyes and you will see and feel this. And he feels all your love in return.
Old January 30th, 2011, 09:34 PM

Thanks again everyone for your positive thoughts and prayers. Last night he finally came out at treat and TV time. I had his favorite treats, soft chicken drumsticks, and broke each one into 4 pieces. I also had his food there too that I had kept in the fridge and warmed before I gave it to him. I alternated the treats with the food by giving him his food by offering it to him on a spoon and he finally started to take some of it. I was able to get all of the treats and most of the food and medication into him and he went back to bed at bedtime. He was very tired but also insisted on going outside to pee. He was able to get in and out down the stairs without incident so I guess he wasn't as weak as I thought. I went to bed thinking he might not be with me in the morning but when I wakened he was out in the living room barking at one of the cats. So even though he looked really tired and weak, he went outside without a problem.

Later i put together a mixture of rice,ground beef, liver, and chicken broth with his metacam, vitamin and mineral supplement and UBA vet but no herbs or sardines and put it on the floor. (about half of the amount I would normally feed him). He went to his bowl slowly sniffing all the way as though he was afraid of what I had in it. He tentatively started to eat it, then finished it completely over about half an hour. I had hoped that it would stay dow but just a few minutes ago he vomited up about half of it again.

So I started writing this update thinking we might have dodged another bullet but only time will tell if that's so.

I don't want to give him any treats tonight or more food, but I might offer him just some rice and broth to see if he can keep it down.The big problem is I have made treat time a nightly thing around here, the cats get theirs at the same time and I know he'll want something ...I just don't know what to give him that he is able to keep down. Maybe some more ice cubes to start.

I know he is aware how much he's loved and appreciates everything I do for him and doesn't know he's dying.

Thanks everyone, you have no idea how much your prayers and good thoughts mean to me at this time
Old January 31st, 2011, 11:08 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Can you break his meals up into smaller portions and just smaller amounts more frequently? I do hope he rallies for you again, dbg You're doing such a great job with him! And Raggs is one lucky boy!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old January 31st, 2011, 04:44 PM

Thanks Hazel for the suggestion. I gave him half of what he normally gets and had planned to feed him more if he wanted it and had kept it down. Today I plan to feed less than I did yesterday in hopes he is able to keep it down.

Last night he ate the rest of the food in his bowl after I posted and was able to keep it down. He is lying in the living room today, not in his bed, and seems more active even though he is tired. So I'm hoping he can keep the smaller amount down today

From what I see it definitely is not time to make a decision yet and hopefully he will rally from here Only time will tell...
Old January 31st, 2011, 07:53 PM
-

I hope the smaller portions will continue to help. Also, do you raise his dish for him? ....that may help him as well. Glad to hear he seemed a bit more active.
Old February 2nd, 2011, 08:48 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

How is Raggs doing, dbg?

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old February 3rd, 2011, 11:13 AM

Thanks for the suggestions Rainbow and for asking Hazel. Yesterday he was hungry and ate his food well. I was unable to find anything to raise his bowl on that would hold it in place so I held his bowl while he ate. I split his food into two meals so he didn't get too much in his stomach at one sitting. Each time,he gobbled up his food but had to go outside after half a bowl. Then stupid me gave him a large bone we had bought him a few weeks ago several hours later while we were watching TV and he ate it, then barfed it up. At least his food didn't come up too.Hi gums are very pale but he does seem to have some energy and is more than willing to go outside in the snow. His hind end is fairly strong and he is able to go up and down stairs without incident. He was really tired last night and went to bed early but seems fine today.

I only gave him rice and beef with his metacam and vitamins the last two days because I didn't want to upset his stomach but because his gums are pale I'm going to add the liver today and hope he can keep it down. I am really cautious about what I give him now because I think it's more important that he get some food into him and keep it there than what I give him. Unfortunately it appears the herbs won't get added back in because I think they caused him to barf. The other thought I had is that the tumour may be encroaching on his stomach and there isn't much room for food so small frequent meals it is. His comfort is more important to me than treating the cancer. I've kept the vitamin/mineral combo in his food because I'm sure he needs it. He still seems happy and painfree but is more tired than he was. If adding the liver causes him to barf I'll have to stick to beef and rice or chicken and rice.

It seems we have two steps back, one forward then half of one back. I certainly won't give him anything extra tonight like a bone...duh

Thanks everyone for being there for us,
Old February 3rd, 2011, 04:12 PM

Thanks for the update. I've been thinking of you both. It is good that he can eat and keep the food down. The fact he wants to eat is wonderful. Sending kisses to that sweet old guy Raggs, and hugs to his momma.
Old February 4th, 2011, 02:56 AM
Senior Contributor

I haven't had a chance to get back here, I'm so sorry that he has slipped some, but so glad to hear that he still has quality. It's such a tough balance, and you have been doing such a great job <<hugs>>

For raising the bowl, you might be able to find a flower pot with the right size opening and height, and line it with non-slip shelf liner. I used an old shell for a mini crock pot for my old girl.

Continued best wishes to the both of you!
Old February 6th, 2011, 05:33 PM

I waited a few days so I had some good news for everyone He seems to have bounced back a bit and though he's tired and his gums very pale he is fighting with the cats and eating a very modified diet from the original diet I put together.

I have been giving him rice, beef/chicken, chicken broth, vitamins, minerals, and metacam. On Thursday his stomach seemed settled so I added liver because his gums were so pale. Then yesterday I added a sardine, and so far so good, he's keeping all of it down and acting hungrier than he was.
I plan to add one thing a day as long as the previous day has been a good one. He also seems stronger, actually jumping up and chasing the oldest cat when he bugs him.

Thanks for the good thoughts @Scottiedog and @Maxalisa, I've continued to hold his bowl because my unused flower pots are buried in the garage right now and I can't get at them. But thanks for the great idea!

For now, things seem to be fairly good, we took him to the store the other night too, and he played in the snow a little. Surprisingly he seems strong despite the colour of his gums. He is also running up and down the stairs to get in and out of the house. Thank gawd we seem to have dodged the bullet again, though I was sure we wouldn't. It would be really nice if he continues to beat the odds. He has a few more lumps visible, but who knows what they are. I would love to take him back to the vet for a checkup but I'm afraid she may find something I don't want her to.

Thanks again everyone
Old February 6th, 2011, 05:35 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

That is great news, I am so happy for you and Raggs

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old February 6th, 2011, 07:21 PM
-

Thanks for the update and glad to hear Raggs is doing well.
Old February 6th, 2011, 08:20 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Sounds like he's doing really well, dbg So glad to hear it!

Old February 6th, 2011, 10:57 PM
Senior Contributor

Love hearing the good news , hope it continues
Old February 7th, 2011, 08:45 AM
Senior Contributor

Love good news in the morning,Raggs is just not ready to leave yet,he still has a lot of living to do
Old February 10th, 2011, 07:55 PM

Another 7 days has come and gone and he's still holding his own HURRAY!! He's hungry and active around the house but does seem to have to go out frequently after he eats. As this is always after dark it is hard to tell what he's doing out there but he often comes back in with snow on his muzzle and I wonder if he's just going out to eat snow.

I've offered him ice cubes but he doesn't want them as often as he did before. I've continued to hold his bowl while he eats as I still haven't been able to get to the flower pots or find anything else which will work to raise his bowl. He seems to digest his food better and eat much slower when I hold his bowl. I also had to take the sardine out of his diet because he wanted to go outside after only a few bites of his food when I included it. I added some flax seeds to his diet in it's place.

The only major change is the 'tumour' on his lower chest/belly is larger but remains pink and hairless. His gums aren't as pale as they were when I added the liver, so it seems to be working for his anemia. I have decided to leave his diet essentially as-is with rice, beef/chicken, finely chopped liver, 2 tbsp flax seeds, chicken broth, crushed senior vitamin/mineral pills, UBAvet and Metacam as he seems to tolerate that mixture without any problems. I decided not to add any herbs or other supplements back in because I think they caused this episode and even if he doesn't last as long, it is better not to give him something that may cause vomiting and another episode like the last. I think this diet I have him on has given him more time than he would have had, if I had stuck to his old diet of kibble and canned food.

He's also interacting with all the cats more than he was before this last episode. He is tolerating Smokey rubbing himself under Raggs's chin and he and the oldest cat, Sam, seem to have found common ground and aren't fighting as often. He still has issues with the female and I'm not sure what they are because there seems to be no rhyme or reason to Raggs's objections to her.

Anyway just thought you all would like an update after a week of improvement. Looks like we did dodge the bullet for now What I see is all good for now, he definitely is holding his own. and I can only hope and pray I have more time with him.

Thanks again everyone for staying with us during this time.
Old February 10th, 2011, 09:06 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Good update! I am so glad things are improved! I was thinking about your delema with the raised dishes and though maybe you could pile up some old telephone books or something like that and at least you wouldnt have to hold his dish?

Keep us posted please!
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old February 10th, 2011, 09:53 PM

Thanks Winston for the suggestion. I thought of all sorts of things including phone books but everything I thought of he'd knock the bowl onto the floor while he's eating. He pushes his bowl around unless it's on carpet usually. I thought the plant pot was a great idea if I could only get at them.. The one I'm thinking about has square sides which means the bowl would stay put in it but can't get near it. The great thing about me holding it is he's slowed right down while he's eating which means he doesn't choke on his food like he used to. It took a few days before he slowed down but now he's really good about it
Old February 11th, 2011, 11:11 AM
The Pack's Head Servant

I suspect that Raggs doesn't mind one bit that you hold his bowl for him! He sounds like such a character!!!

Old February 20th, 2011, 11:23 PM

I'm sorry to hear what you are going through. My dog was recently diagnosed with hemangiosarcoma so I completely understand. I'm using a lot of the same supplements that you are. I've been blogging about my girls experience since day one. If you are interested you can read her blog at http://doghemangiosarcoma.blogspot.com/ I also have info in there about the diet I decided on.
Old February 24th, 2011, 09:14 PM

Thanks huskertrading for the link to your blog I will be more than happy to read it

I haven't updated this thread for 2 weeks because I see him starting to fail and am still hoping for another recovery. He had another episode about 10 days ago when he spent most of his time in bed. It took him a couple of days to show some energy but never reached the level he has in the past. Just when I started noticing he had more strength he had another day of lying in bed followed by another one. These lying in bed days are coming every few days now and I wonder about his quality of life

About 3 days ago he fell on the stairs on the way outside and I think he really hurt himself despite the fact he shows no sign of injury. Now when he has to go outside he stands at the top of the stairs and often decides he doesn't want to go out. Then he goes back to bed. We are standing in front of him now when he comes to the top of the stairs and that has helped him feel more secure about going down them. He has no choice but to use the stairs to get outside other than to use the pee pads I have around the house but he still refuses to use them.

On the few sunny days we've had in the last week he lies in front of the bay window in the sun instead of staying in bed. He is still eating well but his gums are extremely pale and don't seem to be pinking up the way they were a month ago. The only thing I've been able to do is to add more liver to his meals. He has been fighting with Smokey and Sam too so he's certainly not oblivious to the cats. He is still with me every night to watch TV and even demands it when he thinks it's time and I haven't moved yet. He has more bumps on him now, the abdominal/chest tumour is larger but he still seems pain free. He is still showing his happy face but not as often as before.

I know he must have had a couple more bleeds just going by his behaviour. I think he is staying in bed because his anemia must be getting fairly severe. One thing I've noticed is at times he is shaking his head. I always look for an ear infection when this happens and his right ear is a bit warmer than his left, but there is no discharge or odour as I would expect. I hesitate to clean his ears because it is something he hates do instead I've been rubbing under and behind his ears and he seems to like that.

I know I have pushed the panic button several times now but it seems he is not having time for a partial recovery as he did, before another bleed or whatever happens and he spends his days in bed.

We've been given the gift now of more than 2 months together since he was dx'd. I'm praying that he will have some recovery from this last one and we'll have more time. I really think that fall on the stairs took a lot out of him. He is also molting, which I found in the past with my other dogs took a lot out of them when they were sick. I am ready now if he shows he's in pain or shows he's having the big bleed to let him go. I honestly don't think he's ready yet, because the times we spend together during the day he really enjoys.

Thanks everyone for your continued support