Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior > Cat behavior forum - cat training

Old September 29th, 2010, 05:57 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Need some cat psychology help

Rose as sweet and lovable as she is has a funny quirk that I am hoping somebody can explain.

My cats get fed in separate dishes, Sweet Pea and Puddles are always in separate rooms, so there will be three cats together. If Puddles or Jasper is eating, she will stare at them until they leave their dish, then she starts eating their food. The quirky part is she has her own dish only inches away . I used to feed her just raw because she wouldn't eat cat food, but now I have started feeding them all the exact same thinking she just wanted what the other cats were eating. But no she still does it and it intimidates Jasper and Puddles so they stop eating and let her have it. She doesn't do this to Sweet Pea.

Any idea what is going through her head?

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old September 29th, 2010, 06:05 PM
Geek Club CEO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love4himies View Post
OMNOMNOMNOM

Seriously, though, she just wants their food, and they're deferring. I see that here too. We have to police everyone's meals.
Jaida - GSD - tripod trainwreck and gentle soul (4)
Heidi - mugsly Boston Terrier X - she is in BIG trouble!!! (3)
Audrey - torbie - sweet as pie (11 months)
Patrick - blue - a little turd (but we like him anyways) (6 months)
Old September 29th, 2010, 06:47 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love4himies View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by bendyfoot View Post
OMNOMNOMNOM
yep , that about sums it up

Foster Toby was doing the same thing to foster Esmee. I had to supervise ! Jack does the same with toys , he always wants to play with the ones Nelly or Sienna are playing with. It always looks greener on the other side ....
Old September 29th, 2010, 10:59 PM
Catlover2

L4H, you say Rose's dish is "only inches away" from Jasper's and Puddles. Maybe she thinks that's too close and by staring at them she's intimidating them to move away, which they do. It sounds like a domination thing to me by taking over their food. Some cats prefer to eat by themselves away from others. So try and put Rose's dish in a far away corner from the others, and see if she likes that better, and leaves Jasper and Puddles food alone. For some reason she gives more respect to Sweet Pea, maybe because SP's dominant over her?
Old September 30th, 2010, 06:50 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by catlover2 View Post
L4H, you say Rose's dish is "only inches away" from Jasper's and Puddles. Maybe she thinks that's too close and by staring at them she's intimidating them to move away, which they do.
I have tried moving their dishes into another room and she follows them and still stares . She is just not the dominant type of kitty , she gets along with all my cats and has from day 1 , that's why I find this so confusing.

It sounds like a domination thing to me by taking over their food. Some cats prefer to eat by themselves away from others. So try and put Rose's dish in a far away corner from the others, and see if she likes that better, and leaves Jasper and Puddles food alone. For some reason she gives more respect to Sweet Pea, maybe because SP's dominant over her?
Oh yeah, you are so right, SP is the ruler of the house and lets Rose know who is boss. Puddles doesn't back down from her, hence why they fight

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old September 30th, 2010, 06:53 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchy View Post
yep , that about sums it up

Foster Toby was doing the same thing to foster Esmee. I had to supervise ! Jack does the same with toys , he always wants to play with the ones Nelly or Sienna are playing with. It always looks greener on the other side ....
Maybe that is what it is. "Whatch ya got, huhhhhh, whatch ya got?, I want that too." But it is the exact same thing as what is in her dish Maybe I am thinking too much into this and it is very simple. I just wish she would stop. Poor Jasper won't eat when she stares at him and Puddles stops after a few nibbles

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old September 30th, 2010, 07:35 AM
Geek Club CEO

I just fed my three. Boo is the slowest eater. Audrey isn't shy, she'll try to stick her head right in Boo's bowl asap, which usually earns her a swat (although I normally just have to keep a toe handy to poke the little pest out of the way first ). Solomon on the other hand will park himself about 6 inches from Boo and stare and stare and stare. If it wasn't for the fact that Boo is undeniably "the boss" and Sol is undeniably her b-tch , another cat in the same situation could be intimidated to move. As for being interested in what's in the others' bowls...Boo ALWAYS will refuse to eat right away...she must see what the other two are getting first.

I could, like Frenchy, equate this to normal dog behaviour that we see here too. All three dogs could have an identical toy (frisbee, bone, whatever), but Heidi would much rather have one of the other two dogs' items; she'll steal Jaida's outright or wait for Gracie to look away from hers then steal it. Poor Jaida always loses her stuff this way. We'll be outside, playing frisbee, Heidi and Jaida will each have one (identical) and as soon as Heidi sees Jaida with one, she hip checks her and steals it. Brat.

I really wouldn't read too much into it...it could be a dominance thing (staring, for cats, can be considered a challenge), a preference thing, a bratty-brat thing...but I don't think it's anything to worry about.
Jaida - GSD - tripod trainwreck and gentle soul (4)
Heidi - mugsly Boston Terrier X - she is in BIG trouble!!! (3)
Audrey - torbie - sweet as pie (11 months)
Patrick - blue - a little turd (but we like him anyways) (6 months)
Old September 30th, 2010, 12:09 PM
Senior Contributor

Maybe she's passive aggressive.

Mine sort of do the same thing. I feed Oksana and Vlad on opposite ends of the counter, Maks and Kiska right next to each other and Czari a couple of feet away from Maks. Vlad will always want Oksana's food, so I have to block him from bothering her. Maks will always try to eat Kiska's food, which makes Kiska then try to go for Oksana's food as well. Nobody however, messes with Czari while she's eating.

I just figure it's just them wanting what the other has, which is the exact same thing they are eating. I don't worry too much about it because after they all move from plate to plate, they just come back and snack on the rest of their food. Everybody gets their fill.
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

http://nuriaandthegang.shutterfly.com/