Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Cat health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old September 9th, 2012, 12:37 AM

Cat Injured?

Hello everyone,

I'm unable to tell if my cat is injured I was wondering if any of you could give some insight.

Here's the story
So my cat (indoor cat )managed to squeeze out of an old screened window while I was out running an errand. When I came back I found him missing from the house, luckily he was found hiding behind a tree in our front yard.
When I brought him back in I saw that he was very low energy (not lethargic but sad almost?) I did a routine check seeing if I could find any cuts or bruises, checking if the rib cage was symmetrical, and moving limbs to see if there was any pain. ( I also put a little pressure here and there to see if there was any pain)

I also fed him and he ate all his dinner, and saw him drink some water.

The odd thing is, he's isolating himself away from people. And he's easily spooked now. He'll still cuddle if we pick him up, and he'll play with us, but after he'll wander off into a dark room and just sit there.

I'm guessing he must of gotten chased off by a cat or a crow... MAYBE a rabbit?

Any thoughts?

Thanks guys!
Old September 9th, 2012, 10:58 AM

I think you are most likely right. It wouldn't hurt to examine for cuts or scratches again when he is calmer.

I have never really taken my cats temperature and tend to rely heavily on my vet when the cats are looking ill. If you know how to do that kind of thing you at least you would know if there is some medical issue. I have two vets one on the corner of my street and one 2 blocks away so I am kind of spoiled.
Old September 9th, 2012, 04:08 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okami View Post
Hello everyone,

I'm unable to tell if my cat is injured I was wondering if any of you could give some insight.

Here's the story
So my cat (indoor cat )managed to squeeze out of an old screened window while I was out running an errand. When I came back I found him missing from the house, luckily he was found hiding behind a tree in our front yard.
When I brought him back in I saw that he was very low energy (not lethargic but sad almost?) I did a routine check seeing if I could find any cuts or bruises, checking if the rib cage was symmetrical, and moving limbs to see if there was any pain. ( I also put a little pressure here and there to see if there was any pain)

I also fed him and he ate all his dinner, and saw him drink some water.

The odd thing is, he's isolating himself away from people. And he's easily spooked now. He'll still cuddle if we pick him up, and he'll play with us, but after he'll wander off into a dark room and just sit there.

I'm guessing he must of gotten chased off by a cat or a crow... MAYBE a rabbit?

Any thoughts?

Thanks guys!
How far did your cat fall? If your cat is hiding from people he mostly got hurt and you should bring him to the vet to be on the safe side. Pets will hide when they do not feel good . If this is a new thing with your cat , you should at least call your vet and see it they want you to bring him him.
Old September 10th, 2012, 12:03 AM

Hello,

Thanks for the replies everyone.
He didn't fall too far, the window he climbed out of was the first floor.
He seems to be acting normally today, I did phone the vet and they said keep him under watch and see if anything changes.

Thank you everyone for your replies!
I really appreciate the help!
Old September 10th, 2012, 07:45 PM
Kitty pimp

probably just scared himself silly