Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old January 19th, 2013, 10:52 PM

Clothes dryers and cats

I have heard the warning about making sure your cat doesn't get in your dryer, and I always thought I was careful, but I was wrong. I opened up the dryer to get the clothes out, and took a pair of pants out and started folding them. They were still damp, so, like an idiot I turned the dryer back on. One loud thump had me immediately opening up the door, and there was Leo staring at me, slightly confused. I picked him up and he seemed fine, but definately scared, and absolutely nothing scares this cat. I felt sooooooo bad, and was glad that there was a full load in the dryer to at least pad his tumble. Even if your in a hurry, check before you close the door. I was very lucky, it could have turned out horrible.
Old January 19th, 2013, 11:08 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Scary stuff, lindapalm!! So glad you heard him!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old January 20th, 2013, 02:47 AM
Pro Poop Scooper!

Oh jeez!! That's one of those times when you feel sick to your stomach for sure!! Noella's bad for being nosy and I've had to fish her out of the dryer a few times!
Old January 20th, 2013, 08:55 AM
Senior Contributor

Oh no, so scary. Glad Leo is OK.

I had a GULP moment with a new kitten. Our wash water is pumped into a big laundry tub and from there up to our septic tank. I went down to change a load one day and there were little, tiny, wet kitten footprints leading from this laundry tub across the floor, out the room till they dried up. Obviously Woody had fallen into the laundry tub full of water. I don't know how in the world a 12 or so week old kitten got up high enough to fall in and how in the world he managed to get out. Lucky he didn't drown.
Old January 20th, 2013, 08:58 PM

Pattymac and hazelrunpack, it was very scary and definately a reminder to look before I close the door. The light bulb has been burned out in the dryer for awhile, but I'm definately getting a new one. Longblades, you luckily had a kitten that was a good swimmer.
Old January 20th, 2013, 10:45 PM
Willing cat servant

True story, Bu our cat (with my parents) used to go all the time inside the dryer, once my mom started it and like a min and a half later she heard some muffled meowing it was BU!!! INSIDE with the dryer running. He was in pristine conditions, just stunned and scared. If she never came back to that room she would have never heard and Bu would have suffered one of the most terrible fates.
This is great advice ALWAYS make sure your cats are not inside the dryer is a golden advice.
Thanks for reminding us.
I'm glad Leo was unharmed.
Old January 21st, 2013, 12:03 PM

I ABSOLUTELY HAVE TO ADD THIS: CATS AND LAUNDRY ROOMS ARE NOT A GOOD MIX!

I learned this 40 years ago after my cat ingested a cleaning product after walking on a few grains of it that had fallen on the floor, stuck to her paw and then were licked off.........NEVER AGAIN was any cat allowed in there.

The same can happen with a drop of liquid, or a spot of foam cleaner.

It only takes one lesson like this to leave an indelible mark in your memory: laundry rooms should be a "no fly zone" for our cats!
Old January 21st, 2013, 02:25 PM

Could not agree more, ever one should make there laundry room off limits for your pets. There are to many dangerous things for them to be in there.
Old January 21st, 2013, 03:11 PM

My kitten Newton is fascinated by the washer/dryer (then again, my kitten is fascinated by just about anything that moves). She 'paws' at the washing machine porthole/window when the clothes are spinning around. I have a stacked dryer, and fortunately, he can't jump high enough to get into the dryer himself. I've placed in inside the dryer compartment briefly to snap a few cute pics, but that's the only time he's gotten anywhere close to it.

Having said all that, one of my kitten's new resting spot is the clothes hamper - he jumps in there whenever he wants some peace and quiet.

When I'm not at home, I keep both doors to my bathroom and washer/dryer closed. Since I have two cats, it's not uncommon for one cat to stroll in, and the other one to push the door closed behind them (inadvertently, I imagine, not that I can be 100% sure). Both those areas are only accessible when they're supervised .
Old January 21st, 2013, 09:21 PM

I got into the very bad habit of putting the clothes that are dry , while warm , in a clothes basket for Leo and another cat to sleep on. When they hear me open the dryer they come running to see who can get in the basket first. Definately going to close the laundry room door from now on, Leo is the best cat I've ever had, and I don't know what I'd done if he got hurt in the dryer.
Old January 22nd, 2013, 08:37 AM
Kitty pimp

WE HAD A VERY LARGER SIGN !!!!!
Please make sure no animals are lurking in the dryer or drawers may include cats, ferrets ,g pigs and a large retriever
Has a LARGER sign all over the house

I killed one when i was 10 or so she fell asleep in a drawer and i closed it on her, she suffocated
Old January 22nd, 2013, 09:18 AM
Senior Contributor

I'm so sorry to hear about the cat, was it a cat? in the drawer suffocating. What a terrible memory for a child, who didn't know.

OK now, it's time for stories of critters getting back at the laundry room. This one is courtesy of the mother of the kitten who fell in my laundry tub. I think this happened first. They were both from the OSPCA and new to our house.

SO, I arrived home from work and for some strange reason went down to the laundry. Not the room I usually visit when I first get home but for some (play Twilight Zone music in your head here) reason my choice on this day.

I found the laundry tub about 2/3 full of water. And the tap dripping and the water slowly rising. The laundry is below grade and when the water in the tub reaches about 3/4 of the way up a float engages, the pump turns on, and the water pumps out. BUT, the plug was in the tub, so the water could not drain.

If I had not come home when I did the water would have overflowed and done who knows how much damage. In the meantime the pump would have come on and stayed on and possibly burned out. We truly don't know if it might have caught fire from constant running and the house would have burned down. Or if the house would have flooded. Or maybe the flood would have been enough to put a fire out.

Other evidence leads me to re-construct the scene of the crime like so. Ginger was trying to get outside and leaped up to the window sill of the window directly above the laundry tub. In so doing she knocked off a potted plant, the remains of which were found in the laundry tub. On it's fall the pot hit the tap and turned it on. By the most strange of co-incidences Ginger also knocked the plugs for the tubs into the tub and ONE LANDED RIGHT IN THE TUB AND PLUGGED IT.

Can't you just see this scene in a Walt Disney movie? One of the many he made where some animal wreaks havoc inside a house or room? So, so lucky I went down there when I did.
Old January 22nd, 2013, 09:58 PM

Longblades, definately sounds like something only a cat could do. You definately were lucky, it could have been very messy, or worse.