Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum > Feeding raw food to dogs & cats - B.A.R.F - RMB - Homecooked diet

Old December 5th, 2008, 11:05 PM
Senior Contributor

What kind of bones for cats?

Hi
I'm still trying to get my nerve up to go raw. I am still puzzled about what kind of bones cats can chew.

Are there any turkey bones they can eat? What do chicken backs look like? I don't have a grinder and don't want to be gridinging bones up.

We don't have a butcher here in town except for the one at the grocery store. they only get chicken giblets Saturday and only a few. They don't sell chicken backs as they go bad too quickly he told me

Debbie

~Tegan 9 year old yellow lab~
~Wilbur 9 year old LH cat~
~Mirabelle 18 mos dsh~
~O'Shawnnessey 18 mos dsh~
~Darby 1 year old dsh~
~Mindy 7 yr old shih tzu~
~Dexter 10yr old Salmon (large goldfish)
Old December 6th, 2008, 12:48 AM

I don't have cats but feed our dogs raw. My friend feeds her cats raw too. I understand she feeds them chicken wings and backs as well as turkey necks. People also call them chicken carcasses or frames. Basically it is what is left of a chicken after most of the meat is removed (minus the wings and legs) thats what it looks like. Here is a link.

http://www.rawfedcats.org/
Lovey - Female Fawn Boxer (RESCUE)
Anakin - Male Brindle Boxer (RESCUE)

The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated. - Mohandas Gandhi -

~Until there are none, rescue one ~

Boxer Rescue - www.rescueaboxer.com
Scentsy - www.ilovescents.ca
Old December 6th, 2008, 01:08 AM
Live well, laugh often

I use the premade raw for my cats. It is easy, convenient and cheaper then a good quality wet food. I have found in the past that they did ok with chicken necks but not the backs. Chicken wings were also a good option. You can also take a meat mallet (tenderizer thingy) to them to break them up a bit when you first start as it makes it a bit easier until they get the hang of things.
Old December 6th, 2008, 12:10 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tundra_Queen View Post
Are there any turkey bones they can eat?
There are better options than turkey bones, which are just too big for most cats, especially if they're new to raw. If you think about it, the average weight of a live turkey is about 30 lbs. The average cat is about 10 lbs. Those turkey bones have to be pretty sturdy to support all that weight. Cat teeth are adapted to tiny bones like mice and small birds, not 30 lb ones, and even if you have the rare cat that is willing to try gnawing through a turkey bone, there is the risk that their teeth will be damaged.

So stick to chicken (wings, necks, backs - I'm not a fan of drumsticks), quail or other small game birds, some rabbit parts if you can find them. But since your cats are new to raw, go slowly. I can't remember, have you tried giving them just pieces of raw chicken meat to see how they like it? That would be the first step.

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old December 7th, 2008, 02:23 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by totallyhip View Post
I don't have cats but feed our dogs raw. My friend feeds her cats raw too. I understand she feeds them chicken wings and backs as well as turkey necks. People also call them chicken carcasses or frames. Basically it is what is left of a chicken after most of the meat is removed (minus the wings and legs) thats what it looks like. Here is a link.

http://www.rawfedcats.org/
Thanks for explaining that it is the carcass. *duh* I'm a bit slow sometimes. Now I understand. I usually just buy the chicken thigh with the leg attached, chicken quarters some people call them. But now I understand, the whole chicken! Things are clearer now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeriM View Post
I use the premade raw for my cats. It is easy, convenient and cheaper then a good quality wet food. I have found in the past that they did ok with chicken necks but not the backs. Chicken wings were also a good option. You can also take a meat mallet (tenderizer thingy) to them to break them up a bit when you first start as it makes it a bit easier until they get the hang of things.
Thanks for the info and the tips about the tenderizer mallet. Good way for me to get out my frustrations...

What do u mean by premade raw? I know I can get the wings at the grocery storebut can't get the chicken necks here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarcatmom View Post
There are better options than turkey bones, which are just too big for most cats, especially if they're new to raw. If you think about it, the average weight of a live turkey is about 30 lbs. The average cat is about 10 lbs. Those turkey bones have to be pretty sturdy to support all that weight. Cat teeth are adapted to tiny bones like mice and small birds, not 30 lb ones, and even if you have the rare cat that is willing to try gnawing through a turkey bone, there is the risk that their teeth will be damaged.

So stick to chicken (wings, necks, backs - I'm not a fan of drumsticks), quail or other small game birds, some rabbit parts if you can find them. But since your cats are new to raw, go slowly. I can't remember, have you tried giving them just pieces of raw chicken meat to see how they like it? That would be the first step.
Thanks for the suggestions. I looked at quail at the grocery store, 18 bucks and to order rabbits the butcher said it was around 18 bucks per rabbit. That is a bit steep for us. But we could do turkery and the chciken wings for sure.

Thanks everyone again for all your suggestions and help.

Debbie

~Tegan 9 year old yellow lab~
~Wilbur 9 year old LH cat~
~Mirabelle 18 mos dsh~
~O'Shawnnessey 18 mos dsh~
~Darby 1 year old dsh~
~Mindy 7 yr old shih tzu~
~Dexter 10yr old Salmon (large goldfish)
Old December 7th, 2008, 11:22 AM

Have you started introducing any raw to them yet? I want to get my cats off of kibble and on to raw. Two nights ago I started puting out a can of their favorite wet food with some chopped up raw chicken breast and a little liver mixed in with it. Six of the inside eight ate at least some so I guess its a start. But I can see its going to be a good while before I can just pitch them some chicken wings (or whatever) and have them go at it. This is also totally grossing out my wife but I've convinced her its the best thing for them so she is onboard with it. We have a new puppy in our lives now and if all goes well with the cats I'll probably start her on raw also. Right now I've weaned her from the breeder's kibble to Orijen puppy. Haven't decided about the big dog yet though, we'll see.

along with; Dixie, Angel, Dex, Leroy, Babygirl, Harley, Chubby, Jasper, Katie and ole buckethead; Samson

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea. Robert A. Heinlein
Old December 7th, 2008, 11:46 AM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

So far I have only got as far as giving my "catty cats" their treats of hearts and gizzards about 4 times a week. I buy them at the grocery store in the meat department. They love them! I have tried them with chicken wings. They looked at them, looked at me and said "What, you want us to eat THAT?"
But then they occasionally catch a mole over there too and don't eat it. They just play with it for a while and leave it for mom to dispose of.
The inside kitties I haven't tried on raw yet. I haven't found a store around that has it. Grimsby is sorely lacking pet stores that are up to date on what the consumer wants. I may have to take another drive to Stoney Creek and see what I can find.

rhartjr - I hope you are planning on introducing us to your new addition? Please!!

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old December 7th, 2008, 12:45 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tundra_Queen View Post
What do u mean by premade raw?
There are companies that grind various meats/bones/organs and supplements to make balanced meals for cats or dogs, taking the guesswork out of making sure most of the nutrients are accounted for. These can be expensive, and in your neck of the woods, probably hard to find. A couple examples are Nature's Variety, and Arusha Pet Foods.

I like them cause I won't be getting a meat grinder anytime soon and my geriatric kitty isn't about to start chowing down on chicken wings and organs. Plus, he gets a number of meds and supplements mixed in with his food daily, which wouldn't be as easy if I was dealing with whole chunks instead of ground.

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old December 8th, 2008, 11:50 AM
Geek Club CEO

My kitties crunched up a few chicken necks yesterday...yum!
Jaida - GSD - tripod trainwreck and gentle soul (4)
Heidi - mugsly Boston Terrier X - she is in BIG trouble!!! (3)
Audrey - torbie - sweet as pie (11 months)
Patrick - blue - a little turd (but we like him anyways) (6 months)