Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old October 12th, 2004, 02:16 PM

When Are Claws Ready For Clipping?

All I can say is thank god for this board - without other pet owners to give advice I'd be stuck!
Tally's claws are becoming sharp and scratching really bad - when will she be ready to have them clipped? Our westie pup is 15 weeks, so can anyone give advice as to when they will be ready? Thanks
Old October 12th, 2004, 07:51 PM
Senior Contributor

If they are long and have the little "hook" on the end, clip them now. Don't wait, because nails allowed to grow long lets the "quick" grow long in them too and this can make clipping very difficult and painful. By keeping them trimmed regularly, the quick will recede and then you can keep them shorter.
Old October 12th, 2004, 08:01 PM

Lucky, what if I've already let them get too long (and the quick is also getting long)... By shortening them a little to be sure not to cut the quick, but more often, will I be able to get the quick to shorten again???? DOH! Sadly, the reason I let them get too long is because I was worried about the quick. Casey's claws are black, so cutting them is frightening and I once DID cut the quick and he cried and there was blood.... Cutting his nails is the only chore I absolutely HATE with Casey. Thanks!
Old October 12th, 2004, 08:19 PM
Senior Contributor

I don't clip Den-Den's nails. It's cheap to have the vet do it and he holds so still for him when he does. I'm afraid if I hurt him, he won't want me to clip his paws when I groom him.
Old October 12th, 2004, 11:58 PM

usually i clip my dogs nails as soon as i can hear then click on the hard wood floor. if you can hear them clicking on a hard surface its usually time to get them done. this can be done by you or your parents, if you know how, or you can get them done at a vets office or a groomer this is usually inexpensive and can be done fairly quickly. you should be playing with his toes on a regular basis to help the cutting process go more smoothly....good luck
Old October 13th, 2004, 12:00 AM

cutting the nails frequently will keep the klick chort and will make this job easier on both the owner and the dog--stress level--it will take time for the click to recead but keep at it a little at a time