Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Off topic forum

Old May 25th, 2004, 11:10 PM

Worst t.v. show ever!

Has anyone watched Superstar U.S.A. on W.B.? I can't beleive how awful this is. They are litterally riduculizing a dozen people on national t.v. These people will have their hopes put way up, and they will be crushed! They are getting bad makeovers to make them look even more rediculous. Poor people. There should be a limit on these reality shows. There is a difference between a person suffering from their own choices and people who are led to beleive that they might have a real chance at doing something they really enjoy. It's the worst thing I have ever seen!
Old May 26th, 2004, 02:29 AM

Reality shows

The American public and especially the TV viewing portion of them is so lazy and dull witted they will watch anything. Whatever drives the marketing of these shows ($) will hopefully be short lived and the good thing is after a season or two many of them die off. The bad thing is more of them seem to follow.
Until people wake up and go back to reading and quit waiting to be entertained on their potato chip strewn couches- you will continue to see this drivel on TV. We won't have to wait for some cosmic explosion to end life on earth, fast food and TV will do it way sooner.
And while I am on it - the reason so many jobs are going overseas is not so much due to the fact the govt. is sending them there as is it is the simple fact that most of the working and (frequently union spoiled) American public is too lazy to take many of the jobs out there. Many of us have priced ourselved out of the market by demanding to be paid more than we are worth for what we do. Simple economic theory- labor cost rise above a set point for profit to manufacture, you have to cut costs or go out of business.
Enough ranting - I will go fix a cup of coffee and watch the sun rise. There is still some good in the world.
Peace.
Woody
Old May 26th, 2004, 07:56 AM
Senior Contributor

Laura,an apology is expected,Woody is American,just like you,you seem to have a very short fuse cool it!!
Old May 26th, 2004, 08:05 AM

Its difficult to find a channel without its own reality tv these days and this friday uk big brother 5 starts yes thats 5 seasons it has had....can we take much more!
Old May 26th, 2004, 08:45 AM
Senior Contributor

Well,there is one remedy to not watch bad shows,the remote
I consider myself,quiet intelligent,energetic and in pretty good shape...and I do enjoy a good movie and yes,American Idol!!!
There are lots of good shows,on Discovery Channel,National Geographic,Animal-Planet,the Biography Channel etc....but sometimes we need some lighthearted entertainment ie,American Idol
Woody,the fact is,at least here in Canada,companies are moving their business to China,Mexico etc...not because of lazy Canadians but simply to make more profit,exploiting cheap labour.
Workers get despondent when working for minimum-wage and they still cannot buy enough food for their families once the rent is paid.Our food-banks are filled with working people ever day.
It's not the workers that are lazy,the Company CEO's with their enormous pay-checks and bonuses are driven by pure and simple greed,no loyalty to their country.
Our generation was lucky,hard work and loyalty paid off,but today it is simply the bottom-line that matters,nothing else!!!
I try hard not to buy anything made in China,but it's getting harder every day,even my beloved IKEA has the infamous "made in China" stamp on many of their supposedly Swedish products.
I am rambling.....oops!!
Old May 26th, 2004, 03:42 PM

Laura? Ever heard of someone making general editorial comentary about an issue? Woody is from Michegan I believe just for your information. A little sensative about your country and outside perceptions maybe? Yow. You call him very harshly about making general assumptions about Americans, then you make the general assumption first that he is a Canuck and then the general assumption that ALL us Canucks think ALL you American's are dumb witted. Do you know ALL Canadians too? You call him a "JERK" for something you blindly do yourself. I don't think all Americans are dumb witted either, but if someones making general comentary I don't expect them to poll each and every one of the three hundred million out there either. You take statements like the one he was obviously making for what they are intended. General editorial commentary and opinion.

He wasn't calling himself dumb witted either, nor you. Again my friend, general editorial commentary. Did you hear your name specifically mentioned?

Do yourself a favour, don't open the editorial page of the paper. You'll likely feel like you're being personally attacked or something.

Wow, think before you type and take a valium or something to cool the nerves down a bit. And while you're at it, try not to be so reactive.
Old May 26th, 2004, 05:51 PM
Senior Contributor

Why is it when certain people come on here to post, all hell breaks loose??? Tempers seem to flare when really a general comment was made. Some people need to CHILL OUT!!!!!!! Relax, and like Billy Bob said, take a valium!! I'd hate to see how some people bite heads off in real life cuz on here - it's SCARY!!!!

**I have put up my shield to reflect any nasty retaliations......have at it girls!!!****

P.S. Yes I do agree that show is completely horrible!!! So I just don't watch it!!! It will be sad to watch the final show to see the looks on their faces!!
1 very mean tiger barb (who killed all of our other fish)
3 leopard geckos - Dave, Jenn & Jane (gone back to their original owner)

GONE TO CRITTER HEAVEN:
1 house gecko - George (RIP)
2 giant african land snailS - Kaimah (RIP) & Kamau (RIP)
2 baby african land snails - Tiny & Pokey (RIP)
1 Veiled Chameleon - Chip (RIP)

Last edited by Catt31; May 26th, 2004 at 05:56 PM. Reason: agreeing with Luba
Old May 26th, 2004, 05:54 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

I saw this show and I don't think its very nice, downright horrible if you ask me!

Some people's personalities are very sensitive, and even those who aren't would have a hard time coping after being humiliated.

Jokes and pranks can be carried too far and this one takes the cake!

Bunch of idiots that created this show.
Old May 26th, 2004, 06:31 PM
no, I am not a chick!

to help clear the air, I remember reading somewhere not to long back that on a global scale, Canadians were among the tops for laziness, and yes i'm from Kanaduh
Old May 26th, 2004, 06:45 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Laaazy nooooo really? uh oh!

But do we have a high rate of obesity as well?

I'm very shocked to hear that but notice kids don't play as much and adults work too hard to want to do anything active after work most days.

So maybe it's just how society has become, so fast paced people can't relax.

Ohhh I can hear the register money ringing up a storm my business will be booming LMAO

kidding joking well maybe not!
Old May 26th, 2004, 07:53 PM

Thumbs up Woody respectfully replies

LORDY, A couple members of this board must be in excellent physical condition from all the exercise they get by JUMPING TO CONCLUSIONS!

First, if you researched and reviewed some of my earlier posts ( I have been a member of this board under the names of WOODBYTER and WOODY but use the name "Woody" to sign off, you would have not made the assumption that since this is a Canadian board everyone on it is Canadian, unless otherwise specified. I don't think one's nationality is any more important than one's race and thankfully the board seems to agree since no one said I had to hang a tag on my neck saying I was American, Canadian, Black or Jewish or tatoo a number on my body so I can be identified.

In my earlier posts I have stated I am American, Work for the Federal Govt. and live in the thumb area of the great state of Michigan.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion and I am glad I live in a country, I also fought for, which allows everyone the unfettered opportunity to express whatever opinions they hold. I am especially proud of my Canadian neighbors and happy we share a long land border with such fine people.

While I don't agree with some of the factless assumptions which were made I defend your right to express them and most of us will allow them to pass without judging or determining what type person you are.

The type person you are is not always indicated by a few comments and generalizations.

In closing you may want to notice that I used terms such as "Many of us"--"What we do" -- "ourselves" -- when referring to the American Public.
I am not going to foster an ongoing war of words trying to explain what was intended and should be -- obvious.

We American's value our Canadian brothers and sisters and allow them to adopt what ever life style they wish, without commentary on how or why they arrived at even incorrect conclusions. We would prefer to polk fun at ourselves.
Woody
Old May 26th, 2004, 09:27 PM
no, I am not a chick!

I like a few shows on MTV all of the ride gides for instance, wild boys is simply hilarious also, as for reality shows, survivor and the like I could care less about. But stuff like american choppers, american hotrod, and monster garage apply as reality shows I think, and if your into cars, bikes, building stuff, there pretty good. all the others on the above list however I agree to just not watch them.
Old May 26th, 2004, 09:48 PM

American Choppers is the best - just too much nagging! I wish they would get along, so we could see more bikes! I love Harleys!
Old May 26th, 2004, 09:51 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

No way man Monster Garage kickes Choppers butts off ! LOL
Old May 26th, 2004, 09:58 PM

Oh yeah it's good! But I'm a Harley girl, so I have to stick to my roots Plus, Jesse James is into motorcycles too so... maybe that's why Monster Garage is so good!!
Old May 26th, 2004, 10:53 PM
no, I am not a chick!

the one thing that monster garage has going for them is they have a different crew for every project they do, so its not always the same re-hashed arguments going on
Old May 26th, 2004, 11:01 PM
Senior Contributor

oh oh oh, i love frasier, it is one of the funniest, satirical and witty shows i have seen. oho and i love the dog, freddy, my husband swears i only watch it for the dog bits, no its not true just adds to the shows charm. you guys get all the good stuff, now i feel neglected by my tv.
good discussion, i was not sure how the usa and canadians got on, my information only comes from cartoons such as simpsons and south park (do you canadians watch south park, and if so have you seen the 'blame canada' song), very funny for someone with no idea about the place, so i love lots of your shows.
and let me say now, us australians we are a brilliant bunch of good looking cheeky larikins, (did i mention good looking) we will do a half assed job and we will do a lick and promise job on the other days and yes i think we are oh sooo bloody LAZY (even our dogs are lazy) and we have a disorder called tall poppy syndrome, we take any high achiever (tall poppy) and cut that bugger down for being better than us, such an australian failing. (but we are not dim witted, how could we have such great humor if we were dim witted, but maybe....)
here all the great scientists and other academics go overseas for jobs as the australian government do not seem to respect the academic and scientific fields, oh and we dont pay doctors properly so have to outsource them too. it seems if you play sport here, you are worth a million $$$ but if you dont, well bugger off and go to america or euroupe to be a scientist. sadly this has lead to a decrease in new technology and scientific research and all our brains are leaving the country with our technology being claimed by other countries.
and laura i dont think you are a druggo and woody we would never consider you a jerk and im sorry that happened, now lets all make up and be friends funny i have always been told that people from USA can be touchy about nationality and identity so now i know, well at least i am learning about international culture am i not??
Old May 26th, 2004, 11:06 PM
no, I am not a chick!

you mean there's a show that makes fun of us Canadian's!!
Old May 26th, 2004, 11:07 PM
no, I am not a chick!

Just kidding, if you think that the show is funny, watch the south park movie, they invade us!!!
Old May 27th, 2004, 07:38 AM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Invade us
Blame us
but can't live
without us!!

Old May 27th, 2004, 08:26 AM
Senior Contributor

I LIVE for Monster Mondays!!!!! WHeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!! Jesse James is my hero!!! hubba hubba!!! LOL Chopper is good too, as is American hotrod, but so is Over haulin',....sooo many to list!!! Does that make me lazy cuz I admitted I liked tv?? UH OHHHH!!

Speaking of lazy..... I think EVERY country in the world has lazy people - its no better here nor there! We ALL work hard at what we do - we just don't find the need to keep telling people how hard we work to justify our crankiness!!!

GONE TO CRITTER HEAVEN:
Old May 27th, 2004, 09:02 AM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Everyone has and is entitled to an opinion.
Old May 27th, 2004, 04:04 PM

Sorry but I just have to say big reality t.v. fan here!! I haven't seen the one show first posted here but as for Big Brother 5 I'm waiting anxiously for it.
Old May 27th, 2004, 04:33 PM
Senior Contributor

oh i am so over australian big brother, they are so boring, this is the forth bb in australia and they are just a bunch of wet blankets, no fights, no fisty cuffs no controversy, soooo boring (my friend was the executive producer of the first three and recently told them to shove it so this may be a mjr reason im not watching).
but i forgot to mention I LOVE OPRAH oh yes she is sooo beautiful and clever and really covers important issues to the world and lives of woman. and i think she played a beautiful role in the color purple, one of my favs. also have a weakness for jerry springer, i just love to watch the freaks, amazes me that they would do it, he is coming to oz soon but i cannot afford the $300 tickets, i was thinking i could make up a story to get on the show, but no one will go along with my plans
Old May 27th, 2004, 05:09 PM
Senior Contributor

Pretty presumptuous thinking I was referring to you & you alone. Many people have made comments, and as a matter of fact, I was agreeing and referring to Woody's post. So END of story! I don't need nor want to waste any more time on silly arguments.

GONE TO CRITTER HEAVEN:
Old May 27th, 2004, 05:34 PM
Senior Contributor

huh, im confused
Old May 27th, 2004, 09:52 PM
Senior Contributor

Oh Melanie,you just reminded me of the worst TV-show and the worst and kinkiest TV-host,Jerry Springer!!!!I don't even think he's still on TV here,but I could be wrong
Old May 27th, 2004, 10:45 PM

Yeah Jerry Springner was bad - but second to Superstar U.S.A., that's downright cruel!
Old May 28th, 2004, 07:48 AM
Senior Contributor

Could be....I've never watched Superstar USA
Old May 28th, 2004, 07:58 AM

big brother 5 starts over here tonight.

They apparently have sperated the house into two where you are sent between each depending on popularity... they have called it 'big brother goes evil'anyway my freind was on big brother four - justine selman. She was kicked off first! I didnt mind the first series i just think its had its time...