Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior > Cat behavior forum - cat training

Old May 6th, 2009, 04:41 AM

2nd Cat Trouble

We recently got a new cat, we initially had a 2 yr old Queen, Luna, she is a very playful cat and never wants to sit still unless she's very tired, she doesn't care very much for being pampered and would rather chase rattles etc. She usually sleeps in our bedroom on a picnic basket covered with a fleece blanket.

We introduced a new Cat which was adopted from the shelter on Friday past. As this cat is a stray, we have not yet been to the vet, but have an appointment booked... We have no way of knowing its age, but would estimate it at about 5+. When we brought the new cat home, it was hiding for about 12+ hrs. That night we were playing scrabble and our new cat came out from hiding and rubbed against the humans present for cuddles... Although when are current pet Luna enters there is nothing but hissing from the new cat. Luna doesn't seem that bothered and at times goes right up to the new cat and touched noses on one occassion. Although now it seems as though she doesn't even bother and tries to aviod our new cat at all costs.

We have the new cat in the front room for the time being and at night leave the doors open in the hope that our new cat will venture out and make friends in the night. I was up very late last night as we had the big fight live in our bedroom last night.

I have a feeling we have gotten a new cat that is too old and lazy and very fat. I have a feeling this cat would be more suited to an older couple, but at the time when we were at the shelter we felt really sorry for this cat as we can see no way she would appeal to a couple looking to adopt a new pet. Its just I am gettin worried about our current pet and feel her quality of life has deteriorated significantly...

Anyone have any advice, as to whether we should bring our new cat back to the shelter and get a younger cat, possibly a male???

Thanks for any help you can provide.
Old May 6th, 2009, 06:55 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

I really don't have time to give details of introductions, but somebody will very soon.

The new is cat probably terrified so hissing is VERY normal. It takes about a month for a mature cat to settle in, there is no way of knowing how his personality will turn out.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old May 6th, 2009, 07:31 AM
Teddy's Canine Railroad

OT but why is your original cat not sterilised? Queen = intact female cat.....

Which explains why there was a fight to begin with......
Old May 6th, 2009, 08:31 AM

Both Cats are female, both cats are neutered.

I thought queen just meant female...
Old May 6th, 2009, 09:38 AM
Senior Contributor

Introductions need to be done slowly, especially with cats who are no longer kittens.

You should keep them separated for a couple of weeks, periodically exchanging blankets, pillows, beds so they can get used to each others scents. If you are able to let them smell and touch each other through a door this helps as well.

I would not have put them together until the new cat got a check up from the vet.

I took in a stray last year. She's about 5 now, and I didn't bring her into my home until she was checked out first. After she was examined and found to be healthy, I brought her home and had to keep her in my kitchen, away from the others for several months. My kitchen doesn't have a door so I had a screen. My girl pretty much stayed inside her little bed for a month, until she began to feel comfortable enough to venture out.

It is very stressful for a cat who has lived for so long outside, to come into a home, especially with another cat.

You have to think, you have taken them out of their universe, and stuck them in a totally different place. It takes time for them to get used to things and realize no harm will come to them.

Here are a few sites you might want to look at:

http://www.our-happy-cat.com/introducing-cats.html

http://www.fourpaws.org/pages/adopti...cing_cats.html

Here's a video:

http://www.expertvillage.com/video/1...g-new-cats.htm

Good luck.
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

http://nuriaandthegang.shutterfly.com/