Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior > Cat behavior forum - cat training

Old July 13th, 2007, 04:25 PM

Thumbs down bad kitty behaviour!

Okay, so my baby cat Romeo seems to be in a "terrible twos" type age. He is 8 months old and seems to be acting up more than he did when he was 2 months old!!! He has two main problems. The first is that he has just discovered that he can jump onto the kitchen counters. We have made it clear to him that we do not like that (by giving him time out, yelling at him to stop or giving him a small spank)...but he continues to do it!! He usually sits on the ground and meows quite a few times before jumping up..is he asking permission in cat language?? Sometimes when I hear him meowing like that, I know what he's up to so I yell "Romeo, no!!!" and then he'll continue to meow a couple of times, but won't jump. However, when we are not paying attention, he will jump! What is the best way to get him to leave the kitchen counters alone!!??

The second problem he has is that he likes to play bite alot. Sometimes, out of nowhere, he will grap onto our wrists or ankles and bite!!! If we yell "ouch!" he will lick a bit but still bite a bit too....why does he do this?? Usually, I keep the area he is biting very still in order to discourage him to keep pursuing it...He can be the sweetest little kitten, but sometimes he really pushes the boundaries!!! Any training suggestions??
Old July 13th, 2007, 04:37 PM
Senior Contributor

First off i dont know about anyone else here,but i NEVER spank my kitten,i just could never do that,and truthfully with a cat i dont think that would even work and proably just piss em off,we didnt want roxy on counters either,but after trying everything we could,she now can go up there whenever she wants,the only time she is not allowed on table is when we eat,my thing is hey it is a cat and they love to go up on higher places,now i think it is cute,and she actually now she does not go up on table when we eat,she is awesome,the biting thing i do think isnt a good thing but as long as it is in a playful way i am now ok with it to.
Old July 13th, 2007, 06:42 PM

I never spank my kitten to the point of hurting him. I am a huge animal lover, especially cats. I just want to let him know that what he is doing is unacceptable. The kitchen counters are where we prepare food and we do not want cat hair or anything else to end up there. He's still young, and I want to break the bad habit now. I guess it's a personal decision for every pet owner to make. However, animals do need some limits, or else they will think they can take over your house!!
Old July 13th, 2007, 06:58 PM
Senior Contributor

I didnt mean it that way,like you beat your cat,and your right everyone is different,my bf couldnt stand her on counters at first,and when we prepare food and stuff she knows not to jump up there and never does,but i can almost guarantee even if they are trainde not to go up there,they do when you arent home.Well good luck to you,try a spray bottle.
Old July 13th, 2007, 07:26 PM

yeah, it's a safety concern as well. He has jumped up on the stove too and I don't want my baby getting hurt or burned.
Old July 13th, 2007, 08:18 PM
Senior Contributor

Funny you say that,the way our stove was in the kitchen before she could lay on this wood thing right above it(picture here somehwhere of that)and i always thought she was gonna jump right on burner,but,well roxy at least,either is just plain smart or i dont know maybe they just know better,but she NEVER did that,she would just lay up there while he cooked and stare at the burnerand when we werent cooking she would sleep up there.But i know what you mean..
Old July 13th, 2007, 09:00 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Nope, never spank your kitty. I found that putting my hand in line with the counter when the cat starts to jump causes the cat's face to hit my hand and he/she will fall back down. Do not push your hand down as this may hurt him, just keep it steady, in line with the counter. Doesn't hurt him, but he then thinks he can't get up. Stopped both of my cats.
Old July 13th, 2007, 09:12 PM

LOL that seems a little cruel to me. Also, my cat is so curious that I think doing that would encourage him to actually jump up to catch my arm. On top of that, I can't always be there to watch him. I guess I just have to use the "time out" strategy and hope that he will get over it.
Old July 13th, 2007, 09:36 PM
Swift Tribe

there were a few thigns we did for our cats to keep them off the counters (and thats all we manage to keep them off of!!!).

uh, there are a few things Shadow wont jump on because he oopsed and jumped up on something that already had something on it. look before you leap!!! that was on accident!

double sided tape. it works for as long as the tape is on there. i guess maybe if you kept the tape on there for a few years they would eventually stop trying. mine havent. i have double sided tape on the banister up stairs on the landing.

aluminum foil crinkled up a little. switching the scary thing... we took Shadow scaring himself and ran with it. celophane doesnt feel good to their feet. might help some. make sure you secure it so they cant get it up when they freak out about it.

there are spray bottles that are set off by motion and it squirts a little water out of it.

and clappingn our hands every time they went somewhere they shouldnt be. i wouldnt suggest this one though if your are hand clapping people. had a friend who loved clap along songs... not a good idea for his cats. when ours get somewhere, liek the counter, where they shouldnt be... a few good claps of the hand and get up like you are going to get them... ive never actually had to 'get them' (whatever thats suppose to mean) but the action of standing up, making the motion towards them with that disapproving parent look on your face seems to ahve a grand effect. saying something like 'if you make me get up and come over there... im gonna *fill in with a cooking technique*' seems to have a good effect too.

squirt bottles filled with *gasp* H2O!!!!

-ashley
Old July 18th, 2007, 06:03 PM

Squirt bottles are key. My kitten is 4 months, and she hates the water bottle. Sometimes just picking it up works to stop her from getting into trouble. Once they learn that jumping, or going to a certain place means water in the face/bum (that works the best) they'll stop. Hopefully
Old October 15th, 2007, 12:15 AM
Senior Contributor

reported to mods