Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old February 9th, 2007, 12:38 AM

Question Witts end with Doggy pee

My parents and I recently (early December) adopted a terrior mix pup from Last Chance Rescue. He is a lover, pretty hyper but very enjoyable. He is just over a year old and uses the outdoors to do his number two business. However after having him for a few weeks we realized he is peeing everywhere in our dining room and livingroom. He is neutered. We have tried everything. We watch for signs he needs to go and take him out instantly, then 10 minutes back inside, he pees again. We have sprayed carpet stuff for pets, vinigor, and even keep him in a crate at night and often when we are not home during the day to prevent accidents. It still keeps happening and he just won't learn. We love him and don't want to have to give him up but he is damaging our carpet and house and we need help! We need some advice and other options to keep this from happeneing!
Old February 9th, 2007, 01:00 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Have you had your pup to a vet? He might have serious problems with his kidneys, or a bladder infection, maybe even something like diabetes. Only a vet will be able to tell you--and unfortunately, we aren't vets here. If it's a medical problem, he'll need a vet's care.

At any rate, I'd get him to a vet asap and have him checked out. Might not be a bad idea to bring along a urine sample when you go.

Hope it turns out to be nothing serious
Old February 9th, 2007, 07:17 AM
Senior Contributor

Yeah I agree with Hazel. Better to get it checked out by a vet.
Old February 9th, 2007, 09:35 AM
Senior Contributor

After you visit the vet and rule out any underlying conditions, you may want to try a belly band on him. It sounds like he is marking in the house.
Old February 9th, 2007, 10:34 AM
Senior Contributor

Rule medical stuff out as recommend then put him on a leash and tie him to you whenever he is not crated, that way you can catch him in the act a correct with a stern no and take him directly outside, they key is catching him in the act and correcting every single time, eventually he will catch on that no peeing is allowed in the house, oly after a month of no corrections should he be allowed off leash in the house, if he starts again then repeat
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion." - Unknown
Old February 9th, 2007, 11:39 AM

Thank you

We are first time dog owners. Thank you for the advice I will have him checked out at the vet and then go from there!
Old February 9th, 2007, 12:00 PM

If you just realized he is doing this you wouldn't have had enough time to do anything to stop it. Even though he is 1yr you will need to start from scratch as if he is a new puppy and has never been house broken.
Old February 9th, 2007, 12:22 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by OntarioGreys View Post
Rule medical stuff out as recommend then put him on a leash and tie him to you whenever he is not crated, that way you can catch him in the act a correct with a stern no and take him directly outside, they key is catching him in the act and correcting every single time, eventually he will catch on that no peeing is allowed in the house, oly after a month of no corrections should he be allowed off leash in the house, if he starts again then repeat
I agree 100% Once medical reasons have been ruled out, you need to have your eyes on him at all times when he's free in the house. If you can't watch him, he's in a crate. I know it may sound cruel that he'll be crated even when you're home, but tell yourself it's temporary and this is the only way he'll learn. You can also use babygates to lock him in a room with you (for example close off the kitchen and have him with you while you're cooking).

If he slips just once and you don't catch it, it can be a huge set back. Dogs don't remember what they've done a few minutes after they've done, so if you don't catch him in the act, it's no use scolding him, because he doesn't know why he's being scolded.

Good luck!

Deep thought, by Jack Handey : "I think my new thing will be to try to be a real happy guy. I'll just walk around being real happy until some jerk says something stupid to me."
Old February 9th, 2007, 11:47 PM

Today I kept him tethered to me all day. NO ACCIDENTS! When he wasn't with me he was in his crate. He wasn't a happy camper but there were no problems. I can't get him to the vet till Monday but this is hopeful that he did not mess the house. Thanks again for all the advice and we'll keep with it, i'll let you all know how it turns out!
Old February 10th, 2007, 09:52 AM

Great advice from everyone here.

I got my dog when she was a year, given away because people got tired of her peeing in the house. :sad:

Even sadder, it became my problem all of the adivce given above helped, especially the tethering, something else that helped was extending walks, and a lot of praise when she would go in the right place. Also, always watching her closely when she went outside for pee, sometimes she would just sniff and not go, then come home and let loose on the carpet.

At this point, almost two years later, I still can't leave her alone, loose in the house, which is okay because she feels more secure in her crate, this goes for night time too. At night she puts herself to bed in her crate.

We have this schedule worked out for her, as soon as we wake up she's taken out for a pee break, then we get ready for our day, I put her back into her kennel while I take the kids to school, I come back take her out of her crate and take her outside for some exercise. I take her with me to get the kids and then she has free run of the house until before bed when she gets another walk and then when I go to bed it's back into her kennel.

She feels safe in her schedule, she likes having it, knowing exactly what's going to happen, it makes her feel safe.

I'm not going to lie, every once in a while she has accidents. However, she is doing so much better now, I'm actually quite proud of how well she is doing these days. It takes a lot of work, but it's well worth it.

Good luck!
Old February 10th, 2007, 12:12 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinnylover View Post
Today I kept him tethered to me all day. NO ACCIDENTS! When he wasn't with me he was in his crate. He wasn't a happy camper but there were no problems. I can't get him to the vet till Monday but this is hopeful that he did not mess the house. Thanks again for all the advice and we'll keep with it, i'll let you all know how it turns out!
I know it's hard, but keep up the good work, and it'll be SOOOOO worth it in the end!!

Deep thought, by Jack Handey : "I think my new thing will be to try to be a real happy guy. I'll just walk around being real happy until some jerk says something stupid to me."
Old February 10th, 2007, 03:33 PM

I can't tell you all how thankful I am that I came across this site! It gives me hope that we can keep our loved pup and all the encouragement is much needed. We'll see what happens!
Old February 10th, 2007, 06:29 PM
Senior Contributor

trust me, you CAN DO THIS!! It may seem desperate now, but all it takes is a little patience and some hard work Thank you for sticking it out with your boy, he's already been abandoned once, it'll mean the world to him to know that even through rough times, you guys won't give up on him!