Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old April 6th, 2006, 09:10 AM

Best types of dog collars

Hi all. I'm new to the posting thing but have been reading all your great information for a while. My husband and I brought a rambunctious black lab into our family in late Sept 05. She's about 8 months now and is part horse - she's huge. I think it's time to get her a 'real collar'. I bought a trendy one with a buckle and I've noticed on two occasions that it's come undone. I'd like to get her another one but I'm wondering what kind you'd recommend.

Thanks for your help!
Old April 6th, 2006, 11:02 AM
Agility Addict

Other people will probably have better ideas - I chose Dodger's collar out of practicality!

Dodger's collar is by Remington and is totally water proof (it has a rubber coating over the nylon) - its called a Safety Dog Collar and has an "O" ring between the buckle...It is for sporting/hunting dogs and the theory is that the collar flips itself inside out if it gets snagged (not sure about this!)..If your dog pulls, I wouldn't recommend it...

Dodger was destroying his plain buckle/snap-on nylon collars because he was always walking through the creek or swimming, which is why I needed a waterproof collar!

Last edited by Lissa; April 6th, 2006 at 11:11 AM.
Old April 6th, 2006, 11:31 AM
Senior Contributor

with my dog, I use the flat wide nylon collars w/ a buckle. The training school I attend w/ my dog ONLY permits flat nylon collars (or harnesses), so this is what I stick with.

I've tried a coated one, but it rubbed my dog's fur right off his neck, and it wasn't on tight, I could fit 2-3 fingers. poor guy had a bald neck! so I went back to the nylon. My dog also has very thin fur, so I don't get the collars w/ gromits on the holes, or any "rough" spots.

I tried the snap-in buckle ones... those didn't stay on. he pulled a bit, and it came off fast, so we use the buckle ones.

it was a bit of trial and error finding what worked and what was comfortable for my dog.
Old April 6th, 2006, 12:20 PM

I like the flat nylon buckle types. My beagle will pull when excited and will break the snap-on type. Flat leather buckle collars are also very sturdy. I don't use them on my beagle because her neck is white and leather will discolour her coat. They would work for a black lab though. If they didn't discolour Misty's coat, I would go back to leather.
Old April 6th, 2006, 10:41 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lissa
Dodger's collar is by Remington and is totally water proof (it has a rubber coating over the nylon) - its called a Safety Dog Collar and has an "O" ring between the buckle...It is for sporting/hunting dogs and the theory is that the collar flips itself inside out if it gets snagged (not sure about this!)..If your dog pulls, I wouldn't recommend it...
I have two of the same Orange Remington collars and two Remington leather collars.

I like the orange simply because they are bright and waterproof – great for off-leash. The leather ones are their 'dress collar', 'home’ collars and walking around the block collars.

I could never figure out what the ring was for -- thanks. It does flip pretty easy, I can see it working now that I think about it.

I connect the ‘safety’ strap to the ring and then onto the buckle of the leash. If a prong breaks apart I still have them on leash ---- barely.
Old April 6th, 2006, 11:53 PM

I'm old school and my doggies still have chokers. I tried flat collars, but they are always so bulky on my babies. These chokers are pretty thin and weak (Boo has broken his once already, so I'm fairly certain if they get hooked on anything, they'll snap off).

You can sort of see them in this one. They're very tiny chokers
Attached Images

Old April 7th, 2006, 06:59 AM

Prin-
I am not sure about this, but isn't it the thinner the choker, the more severe?

Sam has a flat snap-on collar with a cool ocean pattern on it. Maia is naked mostly but also has a flat snap-on collar too. I chose them because I liked the patterns and since I take them on and off often, just because they are easy to use. http://www.silverfoot.com/catalogue/pet.html

I just got sucked in to the cute patterns.
Old April 7th, 2006, 08:21 AM

Phoenix...great website...thank you. I have been searching for a good collar for Lily and I like what I see on this website!
Cindy.
Old April 7th, 2006, 09:04 AM

My papillon pulls like crazy, something we're working on, anyhooo... because of this we use a harness, er... almost exactly like this one....

http://store.good-doggie.com/Detail.bok?no=133

It was 25 dollars where I got mine, and she's extremely small, however, out of practicality, we got this one for the life-time guarantee, and they're serious too, she chewed through the bottom strap the other day, 'cause we didn't take her to the mall with us, I took it back to the store and no questions, no filling out any papers, just straight, here's a replacement.

She uses a collar, but because we live in the city with not too many chances of her getting caught in any underbrush she just has a simple nylon one with the snap thing.
Old April 7th, 2006, 09:06 AM
Senior Contributor

I perfer a leather collar but Bud has a very fine choke as well. I bought it at a show for Mastiffs it is very fine and does not pinch the fur or skin. He really only needs a leather one since he is an angel on walks no pulling or lunging. Chokes can be dangerous so you must know how to use them properly. They can damage the dogs trachea. Also never leave it on when at home or not on lead they can hang themselves if they get caught. If your dog is a puller than I would suggest a Lupi Harness it worked for a Bloodhound rescue that I had who had never been walked he could pull me down the street this thing helped to make him a great dog on lead.
Now owned by Clark the Crazy American Bulldog
Old April 7th, 2006, 10:15 AM
Agility Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by twodogsandacat
I have two of the same Orange Remington collars and two Remington leather collars. I like the orange simply because they are bright and waterproof – great for off-leash. The leather ones are their 'dress collar', 'home’ collars and walking around the block collars.
Woohoo !! Someone who has the same collar - everyone thinks I'm nuts! Orange has become Dodger's signature colour now - he has the orange lead and the matching harness! Aside from the colour, I love the collar - it still looks brand new and he's had it over a year!
Old April 7th, 2006, 10:38 AM
Rottie owner and lover

Harley has a buckle collar, a leather collar, and a snap on collar. Out of all of them, I prefer the buckle collar...
Old April 7th, 2006, 10:48 AM
Senior Contributor

If my Eskimo were to have a collar it would be rolled leather with a buckle (rolled leather due to double ruff of fur around neck). Since he is a serious puller he has 3 harnesses. I do know the Silverfoot line, my groomer carries the line - they have some nice products. Not sure but I think leash #13 - the leather one - and the one that still is with us because I don't let my husband use it - is Silverfoot. I lost confidence in the snap nylon collars when they snapped open 2 times with my mini Dachshunds - certainly it can happen - but 2 times was 1 time too many - with different collars.
Old April 7th, 2006, 11:49 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinkerbellB
Hi all. I'm new to the posting thing but have been reading all your great information for a while. My husband and I brought a rambunctious black lab into our family in late Sept 05. She's about 8 months now and is part horse - she's huge. I think it's time to get her a 'real collar'. I bought a trendy one with a buckle and I've noticed on two occasions that it's come undone. I'd like to get her another one but I'm wondering what kind you'd recommend.

Thanks for your help!
While a flat (or rolled) leather collar may last longer, for pulling problems you may want to try a training class.
Old April 7th, 2006, 02:16 PM
Alex's daddy

A harness is best. This way the dog wont chock himself. My alex, a boxer, has a very big chest and a smaller neck so I had to find her a harness that would fit her odd shape. A sizewize harness is unique in the fact that instead of two individual loops (one for the neck and one for the chest) it is one continuous piece of material that constantly adjusts. If the dog pulls back it gets tighter around the chest if the dog pulls forward it gets tighter around the neck. It really works well!
Old April 7th, 2006, 03:21 PM

Thanks for all the great advice!

We're in a training class here in Calgary at Sit Happens. We're up to walking across our deck in a loose leash walk now! Our trainer said that it would be a while before we're up to a full loose leash walk because we have to wait until she masters it with minimal distractions (like in the kitchen) before we can move out on to the street.

The thing that terrifies me is that the collar has come undone not while we're walking but when she's just playing. I'm worried that it will come undone on a walk.

Have a great Friday all!
Old April 7th, 2006, 07:59 PM

I like the flat nylon collars - but leather is certainly more durable....

If she is able to get her collar off during playtime in the house (and it's not a collar that's meant to come off, if caught on something) - I would def'n get a new collar!! Last thing you want is a puppy that's still learning recall to get off lead while you're out walking.....

My old blk lab had a flat collar with the reflector strips on it & even a motion sensing 'doggie bone' tag (kind of like the flashing bike lights) - really helped to see her, since I could 'loose her' in the backyard - let alone if she ever got out (never did, I'm just freakishly paranoid)

C.
Old April 7th, 2006, 09:29 PM

My dogs only wear collars outside, mostly they wear a harness on our property. When we go out they wear either a leather or nylon collar and I have never had a problem with them coming apart or breaking. The brands I have are Weaver Leather and Rogz Dogs. Often I use prong collars, however, they can come apart so I either attach the leash to the flat collar as well or I have a little attachment I put on so if the prong collar comes off they are still attached to the leash.
Old April 7th, 2006, 09:48 PM

We have had some leather collars made for us top notch I think they will last a life time. Hand made to your liking. Not trying to sell anything here just a bit of info for those who are interested. click the top link on this page
http://www.bluewhippet.net/truman/links.html
Old April 8th, 2006, 01:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix
Prin-
I am not sure about this, but isn't it the thinner the choker, the more severe?
That's what they say, but it's really just a gimmick. These collars, according to the pet store, work wonders with any dog, and they're made in Germany and are virtually indestructible... It's a load of bull. The big ring on them is pretty weak and thin, and they're more expensive than the regular chokers, too. My doggies only have them because they don't pull. If they did, the collar would snap off in a second (like I said, Boo snapped one early on). They're just decoration, basically- not for strong pullers.. (But yeah, if they were stronger, they'd probably cut into the fur and hurt- but I didn't use these for training or anything.).

Last edited by Prin; April 8th, 2006 at 01:28 AM.
Old April 8th, 2006, 06:09 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinkerbellB
We're in a training class here in Calgary at Sit Happens. We're up to walking across our deck in a loose leash walk now! Our trainer said that it would be a while before we're up to a full loose leash walk because we have to wait until she masters it with minimal distractions (like in the kitchen) before we can move out on to the street.

The thing that terrifies me is that the collar has come undone not while we're walking but when she's just playing. I'm worried that it will come undone on a walk.

Have a great Friday all!

There is something wrong with your collar if it is coming unbuckled, if it a metal buckle possibly is is not long enough, definitely find something else

I make collars, and one thing I like to warn people to do is to check over their dogs collars regularly, as threads that seam the collar can rot or unravel , plastic hardware can also be affected by UV radiation and become brittle and crack, I have had this happen with side release buckles on commercially made collars, some of the very cheap collars and leashes can be made with low quality hardware like unwelded d-rings and leash clasps may not be suitable as dog hardware and can break if the dog lunges, also ifthey have plastic hardware it may be of the cheaper plastic that is meant for the apparel or bag industry and not have the breakstrength required for the pet industry.

But even correct abs Plastic hardware is not suitable for large powerful breeds
for example the webbing straps are held with the loops of the side release buckle the wall that holds can only handle about 120 lbs of force your dog can weight a lot less but the amount of forces being applied direct to that 1" area would be twice that of what the dogs weighs if he lunges, overtime with exposure to UV radiation the plastic will get weaker

The newest ones available are now of metal

Of the leash hardware this snaphook is my favorite, when you pull back the lever it is like a pair of scissors so it is easy to see if it is properly closed unlike the regular snaphooks where some rust or bit of dirt can get inside the trigger and and cause is not close properly.

The collar type I prefer is a martingale also referred to as a limited choke

THe small loop is what creates the choke and can only tighten until the 2 smaller rings attached to the loop come together, thus limiting the choking action just tightening on the neck without actually choking the dog. This particular collar needs to be adjust to the dogs neck each time put on.

This is an alternate style with a buckle to make putting on and off easier without having to adjust each time

This is a tapered very special occasion version designed for somebody that wanted their dog to be part of their wedding ceremony, these types have to be custom made to fit

Last edited by OntarioGreys; April 8th, 2006 at 06:14 AM.
Old April 8th, 2006, 11:31 PM
-

Wow OntarioGreys - beautiful craftsmanship - they're gorgeous!

I tried regular buckle collars when the grrrrls were pups but they were major pullers. We moved onto harnesses - they still managed to make me hydroplane across puddles in a rainstorm. It was when they completely tore my rotator cuff to shreddies that we moved to the Gentle Leaders. They hate them, I love them and yes,they are a gimmick. But when you're stumbling about at 5 a.m. and two rambunctious, wickedly strong dawglets want to GO NOW in two different directions the Gentle Leader is not a gimmick it's a dawgsend! The first time I tried to use one with Declan you would have sworn on a stack of bibles I was torturing him for all the crying and bucking like a horse going-on - so I never bothered again.

Our dawgwalker requires martingales so we also use three 1 1/2 inch wide nylon Rogz martingales with our much-loved by me Smoochy-poochy leashes !
Old April 9th, 2006, 12:47 AM
And Zoodle's Mom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OntarioGreys
The collar type I prefer is a martingale also referred to as a limited choke

THe small loop is what creates the choke and can only tighten until the 2 smaller rings attached to the loop come together, thus limiting the choking action just tightening on the neck without actually choking the dog. This particular collar needs to be adjust to the dogs neck each time put on.
I have these collars for my dogs and I love them because they aren't stiff like the thick nylon collars are. They are kind of soft! Anywho, they do keep loosening off a little so like Ontariogreys said "check them regularily!!" But Copper's collar broke the other day! The metal piece that holds each end of the collar(not the loops to hook to the leash)broke and one curved end came out straight! His line got snagged on our step, and he wasn't even pulling hard and it just gave way and his collar fell off! Thank god I was right there when it happened! And luckily, I always have a spare whatever i may need for the dogs!
Old April 9th, 2006, 10:12 PM

Get the Gentle Leader, it really works. My boy and I went to training class with a 4yr old unsocialized lab and her owners put that gentle leader on her and it worked miracles!! I got one for my little boy(Kohl is a 7.5lb Chihuahua) and he actually paid attention!! There is literally an instant difference in behavior when you put it on them. I does take them a little getting used to but it is an excellent collar.
Old April 9th, 2006, 11:31 PM

Well I might be threadjacking a little bit... Sorry... But I just wanted to know, in the vein of this question, if any of you guys had any recommendations as for puppy collars. Do any of these actually work, or would I be better off just buying a new collar every time my puppy grows?

I just adopted a rescue puppy, just to give you an idea we think he's mostly Rottie/Lab with a little bit of hound maybe, so he'll be growing pretty big pretty fast... any help or recommendations on what to do to save money on collars that will still be effective would be great.
Old April 10th, 2006, 03:26 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Well I might be threadjacking a little bit... Sorry... But I just wanted to know, in the vein of this question, if any of you guys had any recommendations as for puppy collars. Do any of these actually work, or would I be better off just buying a new collar every time my puppy grows?
My suggestion is to buy him collars appropriate for his size, you can start with the adjustables with the plastic hardware, but don't go to the maximum size he will fit in where it is adjusted to the smallest point, for example his neck size is 12 inches the collar should be around 14 or 15 inches maximum, an 18" collar might adjust down to fit but the collar would be double folded almost all the way around his neck which would be uncomfortable, but also with so much fold over it is easier for a curious pup to get snagged on something. So you are better off buying him new collars as he grows.

Quote:
the Gentle Leader, it really works. My boy and I went to training class with a 4yr old unsocialized lab and her owners put that gentle leader on her and it worked miracles!! I got one for my little boy(Kohl is a 7.5lb Chihuahua) and he actually paid attention!! There is literally an instant difference in behavior when you put it on them. I does take them a little getting used to but it is an excellent collar.
A halti or Gentle Leader is a great choice for dogs that are pullers with some training, but can be a disaster for dogs with strong chase or prey instincts, because the drive to chase is very powerful and a dog will not even think about the collar, if they lunge to chase a bicyclist, jogger, car or small critter and hit the of the lead the collar will cause their head to snap back which can result in severe neck trauma

Last edited by OntarioGreys; April 10th, 2006 at 03:43 PM.
Old April 12th, 2006, 10:39 AM

collar type

Hello

My Papillons where the snap type nylon collars and so far I have not had a problem with them. But I do have a leash question, Ontariogrey I saw that you had a special clasp do you know if those are harder to open then the regular lever type ones, my youngest dog has figured out how to open his and get his leash off,this is scary especially when we are outside also when they get playing while on walks these clasps have come undone really easily leaving them without a leash. I have thought of somehow attaching a carbeiner to his collar and then his leash anyone out their with a better leash idea.
Marian
Old April 12th, 2006, 12:30 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Ontariogrey I saw that you had a special clasp do you know if those are harder to open then the regular lever type ones, my youngest dog has figured out how to open his and get his leash off,this is scary especially when we are outside also when they get playing while on walks these clasps have come undone really easily leaving them without a leash. I have thought of somehow attaching a carbeiner to his collar and then his leash anyone out their with a better leash idea.
Yes this type is more difficult, the lever has to be pulled all the way back for the it the scissor open enough about 3/4 of an inch compared to the bolt snap that can become unhooked with a 1/4" movement or less depending in the size of the d-ring on the collar, and this can occur if a dog is wearing a coat and the fabric catches the knob or say the dog bites on the leash, which is the reason I use the trigger type.. A lot of people I know who have the regular bolt snap are using carbiners with them now after having them come open, so yes it is a good idea

Lupine a collar and leash manufacturer has a different style of snap bolt that need to be pushed inward to open only available on their 3/4 and 1" leashes , their collars and leashes are 100% guaranteed even if the dog manages to chew it, they are very tough collars and leashes, it has a very small thread very tight weaved webbing the pattern is weaved right in

http://www.lupinepet.com/dog/med_dog.html

Here is their Canadian list of stores that carry http://www.lupinepet.com/dealers/cou...d_province.php
Old April 12th, 2006, 03:26 PM

Ontariogreys

Thank you for your reply. There is one place in Calgary that sells the lupine leash I will check them out. Do you know if the type of clasp you have is sold in Calgary and if so where do you buy them or do you sell leashes made with them?
Marian
Old April 14th, 2006, 09:53 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lissa
Woohoo !! Someone who has the same collar - everyone thinks I'm nuts!

Nuts? Really? Imagine acres of this terrain and then imagine trying to spot the dog in this picture if he didn’t have an orange collar..
Attached Images