Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Off topic forum > Tech talk

Old June 9th, 2006, 02:37 AM
Performance Spaniels

Internet Woes

Storm fried my sympatico modem partially. Took 7 hours of tech support.. I finally asked, they finally agreed. New modem arrived.

Takes tech support to load all the stuff on the computer that one is on windows 98... Can connect to the net.. AIM connects. No IE. the *beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep* from sympatico says it's my fault.. and I need the win 98 disk to update IE. I think he's full of it/ I don't have the disk..

In the 7 hours of help I got my own computer on XP did the same thing and the guy asked me to do a bunch of stuff and it finally had IE working.. and I didn't update IE..

I've found when the sent and recieved bytes are low, AIM connects not msn, no IE. My XP com was doing that. They fixed it.. New modem, other computer exact same problem... And he's telling me it is unfixable..

My family is throwing a fit.. I need sympatico fixed to put the wireless network together.. I''m using the half broken modem on my computer right now..

*cries*.. any help? Thoughts?

Last edited by mafiaprincess; June 9th, 2006 at 02:40 AM.
Old June 9th, 2006, 09:27 AM
PeachesnSimon'sMamma

If you're getting certain things to connect and not others, then your wireless router is the issue, and not the cable/dsl modem. I'm guessing the Sympatico tech had you reboot the whole system in sequence and turn it back on in reverse, but if not, then you'll need to power off the computer, power off the wireless router, power off the modem and let 'em sit for about 10 minutes (I'd suggest yanking the cables between the wireless router and modem too in this time). Then power up the modem, reconnect the wireless router, power up the router then the pc. If you're still having issues with some stuff connecting, you'll need to log into your router interface (usually open IE or Firefox and type 192.168.1.1 - should be default IP for interface) and make sure your router settings don't require a login for your ISP, or a specified DNS addy from them. If all is well with the wireless, next to check is Windows Firewall. If it's on, try turning it off and then connecting with the apps that don't work. There might be some stuff on the allow list and others that aren't (Windows can get cranky like that). If you have any other type of firewall, try turning that off as well. I know for a fact that the last Norton update that went out did not have my company's info in their allow list, and folks were unable to connect until the firewall was turned off and they were able to download an update to correct that issue. I hope this helps, if not, please feel free to IM me on jawert1 (AIM) or PM me

~Those who KNOW better are responsible to TEACH better~

Jenn, Simon and Peaches
12/14/03
Old June 9th, 2006, 12:05 PM
Performance Spaniels

The router isn't in the system. As soon as problems started I disconnected it. The problem is now getting sympatico to fully work on that computer with the new sympatico modem..

So the guy had me try non secure webpages, a dns number for sympatico.. Nothing connected.. and I pointed out aim could and I got a lecture on how IE was screwed. I tried to explain I'd just done this on my old computer but couldn't remember how the tech fixed it he told me I was wrong. Wasn't the same no correlation.

If I ever get the modem alone to work I assume it will be multiple hours with the Dlink people again. I've never felt so computer illiterate. And no one else in my family can deal with it because they really are...

Guy went into msconfig and turned off pretty much everything. I don't think their win 98 has a firewall though..
Old June 9th, 2006, 12:31 PM
Senior Contributor

get a mac.
Old June 9th, 2006, 03:14 PM
Performance Spaniels

LMAO. I think the coloured laptops are fun but I'm all girly.

So I'm up to 14 hours tech support in a week.. last sympatico guy was wrong. It's all fixed now.. But there are errors in the line, between our home and a main bell station. So it's theie issue they are trying to resove.. So I'm waiting till Monday to call Dlink.

Each computer works alright alone. But it's funny to have to do it like this for now..

So stressed, but it's so much closer to being fixed..