Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old July 14th, 2015, 03:23 PM

Pet Insurance

Which insurance company & policy did you select and why?

I would like to protect myself against really large vet bills.

Based on http://www.petinsurancereview.com the only good choices in Canada, based on reviews, are:
- Pets Plus Us (9.7 rating based on 32 reviews)
- Petplan (9.2 rating based on 2472 reviews)
- Trupanion (9.0 rating based on 2998 reviews)

Pets Plus Us doesn't seem favourably priced at all when compared to Petplan or Trupanion (if you think I'm wrong, let me know why).

(1) Petplan Silver package for $27/mth covers up to $12,000 in annual vet expenses but has a small deductible of $200 (max allowed) and co-pay is 90/10.

(2) Trupanion for $27/mth has no limit in annual vet expenses but has a deductible, which I selected of $1,000 and co-pay is 90/10.

Both options seems excellent to hedge against freak accidents that may cost a significant amount.

If you were in my shoes, which option would you select? Is there anything else I should consider? How likely is it that expenses will exceed $12,000/year?

Another option is to select Petplan Bronze package for $24/mth covers up to $8,000 in annual vet expenses but has a small deductible of $200 (max allowed) and co-pay is 90/10.

It seems unlikely that the vet bill will be too extravagant, based on this: http://trupanion.com/blog/2013/05/in...and-illnesses/

Based on this, perhaps it's better to go with Petplan bronze?
Old September 9th, 2015, 09:17 PM

Thanks for the post, I find it very useful. We are looking for an insurance for our 4 years old cat. She was always in good health but a month ago she got sick. It turned out to be a bladder infection but they discovered also high level of calcium in her blood. The investigations plus treatment costed us a little bit under 1000$ and we are not off the hook yet.