Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old March 21st, 2011, 10:56 AM

Large dog having neck pain

Hi, My 95 lb bluetick coonhound Leo seems to be in pain. He got up and shook his head around, like he does every morning, and yelped and cried in pain. I've checked his ears and he lets me pull and move them around, without any protest. So, we think its his neck. He's currently sitting completely still, trembling, won't eat. We've called the vet, we're going in for a visit in a few hours. Any insights on what it might be? And how we can make him more comfortable in the meantime? He's currently sitting under the kitchen table... my poor big baby, I hate to see him in pain.

Leo's stats: he is older, although we don't really know precisely how old. Vet estimates him at around 8 or 9? We rescued him about 3 years ago, and we don't really know anything about this 'former life'. Also, he's a touch overweight, maybe 10 lbs.

Any advice is appreciated.
Thanks, Lauren
Old March 21st, 2011, 11:05 AM
-

Until you are able to get to the Vet you might want to try ice packs around his neck for 20 minutes on/ 20 minutes off at a time.
Old March 21st, 2011, 12:52 PM

Thanks Mumum. I'll give that a go. We have managed to coax Leo back to his bed and he's resting quietly. Still hasn't eaten, which is VERY unlike him.

I hope the vet can determine the problem.
Old March 21st, 2011, 12:59 PM
-

Hopefully it's something as "simple" pinched nerve (which aren't always so "simple" of course but comparatively...).
for a speedy recovery!
Old March 21st, 2011, 01:46 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Aw, poor Leo! I hope the vet can figure out what's going on and get him back to rights quickly!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old March 21st, 2011, 06:31 PM

update on Leo

After laying around all morning like an invalid, we managed to coax our creaky and stiff hound into the car for a visit to the vet. As soon as we got to the vet, however, Leo made a miraculous recovery and seemed perfectly normal. Typical.

He got a work-up and while they did notice that he seemed a little stiff and sore, they weren't able to find anything particularly wrong with him. He got some meds to help his joints, as well as some pain meds if his neck pain returns, but... that's it. He seems to have recovered from whatever his affliction was this morning. Who knows. I guess he's just getting older...

Anyway - I guess we're relieved it doesn't seem to be anything serious.

Thanks for the tips!
Attached Images

Old March 21st, 2011, 06:34 PM
Senior Contributor

Lauren, don't worry about him not eating. He sounds as if he's suffering the sort of pain our Cuddles did when she hurt her back. When Ian let her out of her yard she ran yelping all the way to the house - where she's been a house dog ever since I might add, for fear it ever happened again. A chiropractor helped her, it was the second time she'd pinched nerves in her back. Earlier in her life she'd jumped for a Kong but fell to the ground without grabbing for it, then when she tried to run to us she crabbed off on an angle and fell over. Quite alarming. Poor Leo, I hope relief from the pain is just a vet visit away.
Old March 21st, 2011, 06:41 PM
Senior Contributor

Hey, that's great news, I'll have fingers crossed it was just like Cuddle's first pinched nerve, she got over that one almost instantly too. The second time was more serious. You do realise they do these things just to worry us? LOL. I love that breed by the way. When bluetick coonhounds arrived in this country I was blown away by them. Another 'blue' dog, yay! Nice looking too.(I may have had only blue cattle dogs back then, no reds.)
Old March 22nd, 2011, 12:11 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

How's my favorite hound doing today, LaurenBev? Glad to hear that he was feeling better after his trip to the vet!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old March 22nd, 2011, 04:27 PM

Leo update #2

Leo is still on the mend. While he's not in the same type of pain he was in yesterday, he's definitely not 100%. I'm hoping that he's just slowly recovering from an injury, and that its not something more significant. I guess time will tell. Its tough to see him like this, though. Its a sad reminder that they continue get older.

I keep saying to my husband, 'I wish he could talk' so he could tell me what's wrong, but my hubby is quick to remind me that if Leo could talk, he would probably say things like, "Why don't you scamper out to the store and get me a steak," and "How about you go sit somewhere else so that I can really spread out and get comfortable on this couch." So... its probably for the best that he keeps his opinions to himself!

Will keep y'all posted on Leo's recovery!
Attached Images

Old March 22nd, 2011, 04:36 PM
Senior Contributor

Lauren,he is beautiful,as is the little two-legged one,hopefully he'll recover fully
Old March 22nd, 2011, 04:42 PM
-

Your husband's a hoot!

Have you thought about massage and Tellington-Touch to help with the aches and pains? I recommend it strongly if you haven't. My old fella loved it and it really did help with his old bones and arthritis. I've used massage and in the past few years T-Touch with both Ceili and Bridie. Bridie has no health issues so she just tarts it and lies there all google-eyed and floopy afterwards. But, Ceili has severe HD and both cruciates have had surgery so there is arthritis in the joints. I find she REALLY relaxes and seems to have an easier time getting up/down and has a smoother gait afterwards.

I think someone else mentioned swimming? If you can find a heated therapy pool ...do it. It is THE best thing exercise-wise for older or mobility-challenged dogs. It was invaluable in helping Ceili recup from her surgeries.
Old March 22nd, 2011, 07:55 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Aw, there's Leo!!

Yep, I agree--if he'll let you do it, massage could be beneficial. And swimming is great, low-impact exercise if he's a water-lover.

Heal quickly, Leo! And tell your Mom not to be such a stranger. We always appreciate updates on ya! (Specially if they come with pics )

Old March 22nd, 2011, 10:47 PM
-

LOL, yep, it's amazing how they are okay once they get to the vet.

I hope it was just a one time thing and Leo will recover quickly.
Old March 24th, 2011, 01:08 AM
Senior Contributor

I would make sure that there isn't a tick disease involved.

My boy has neck problems. I make sure that he is on a good joint supplement, and he also sees an AVCA certified chiropractor on a regular basis: www.avcadoctor.com

Recently we started Adequan injections for his neck, which have helped quite a bit. He's almost 10 years old, and has a had neck issues for a very long time. I also use a harness, no collars, nor any front clip harnesses.
Old March 24th, 2011, 07:43 PM

Thanks MaxaLisa, those are good suggestions to keep in mind if Leo starts having problems again. I'll continue to keep an eye on him for a few more days, but I'm happy to report that he woke up this morning seeming 100% again. Yesterday he stayed in bed (our bed) all day and didn't eat until dinner time, but today he's back to his old self.

Thanks all, for the input and concern. Leo appreciates it.
Attached Images

Old March 24th, 2011, 09:48 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Glad he's better today, LaurenBev!

Love his Santa shot!

Old March 24th, 2011, 11:25 PM
Senior Contributor

He's gorgeous. Those dogs even have tan where our cattle dogs do. He makes a good Santa Paws. Great to hear he is feeling a bit better.