Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Personal pet blogs

Old November 10th, 2010, 11:24 AM

Question TOBIE's Blog

Hi my name is Tobie. I am a 2.5 year old goldendoodle. I got flees this past summer & mom got rid of the fleas with shampoo, but I am still itchy. I have a scabby rash and a big sore on my back near my rump that is now slowly healing.

Ten days ago mom and Jonathan (my owner) took me to the vet. $ 200.00 + later, we left. Vet did not take blood tests, but diagnosed my condition as staph infection and he said that I had allergies. He prescribed bioclav 375, betadine scrub & fuciderm gell.

Problem is that although the sore on my back is slowly healing, the rash around my legs and on my tummy is spreading and I am scratching like heck.

Jonathan is not exactly flush with cash and $200.00 was a lot of money for him. He knows that he has to take me back again, which I don't mind because I love car rides, but we want advise on how to deal with the vet.

Jonathan does not want to have to dish out $200.00 again if it does not fix me. The vet was nice enough, but obviously the vet misdiagnosed me or something. We are wondering how we should we handle the situation? Should I just bite him and tell Jonathan to suck it up? Should we go to another vet? Problem then is we have to start all over again. Your comments and suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks & woof, woof!
Old November 10th, 2010, 01:29 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

It may be more than just a flea allergy. What are you feeding Tobie? It might be something in his food or a sensitivity to something in the environment. Regardless, allergies are a tricky thing and it's not too surprising to need multiple visits to the vet to pinpoint the trouble. Might not be a bad idea to have a scraping done, too, to rule out things like mange.

Good luck, Tobie!! Hope you're more comfortable soon!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old November 24th, 2010, 04:01 PM

We could never really second guess a vet, first; most of us aren't vets, and second; a diagnosis on a internet forum board .. well

A second opinion from another vet is certainly logical (more expense..sigh)

What you can do is make sure you are feeding well..it will certainly not hurt to feed a limited protien diet made for allergy cases with seem quite previlent today. I have done a lot of research just recently for Maggie with regard to dry brands and came to conclusion of Natural Balance Limited Ingredient formulas .. reasonably priced mid/high range large bag about $80 CAN.. but you should first have a vet help you get it under control as feed will take some time to curb IF food allergy is the culprit.
Unless your dog is herding sheep in the outback the above will provide all the energy protien for most dogs.
Old April 20th, 2011, 11:01 PM
Senior Contributor

Old thread but oh so true

There ain't no cure for stupid ...... but we should make sure we laugh and point it out to everyone else

Tags
tobie