Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Cat health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time! > Senior cats

Old December 10th, 2009, 01:36 PM

Hyperthyroid cat - weak hind legs ;_;

My Simba, 14, diagnosed 2 1/2 years ago with hyperthyroidism, is on Methimazole, 1 tab am, 1/2 tab pm doing ok with that dosage. Occasionally needs Cyproheptadine(sp?) 1/4 tab am to encourage eating. His weight is relatively stable at 8 lbs, but I've been noticing that HIS HIND LEGS ARE BECOMING WEAKER AND WEAKER. What causes this and can anything be done to help my sweetie.

I just lost my cat, Mikey, 5 days ago from cancer and cannot have my only other cat leave me now :sad:
Old December 10th, 2009, 02:12 PM
Senior Contributor

Has Simba had a check-up recently with blood work and a urinalysis?

What does he eat?

Arthritis might be a possibility, as something like 80-90% of cats over the age of 12 have it to some degree. Would definitely be a good idea to mention this to Simba's vet if you haven't already.

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old December 10th, 2009, 02:45 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

So sorry to hear about Mikey

I've no experience with cats, but I do want to send you and Simba and a

Mikey

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old December 11th, 2009, 10:19 AM

Thanks!

Simba's last Vet visit was 1 month ago and had all tests and does not have arthritis. He is showing the same symptoms as all the cats I know that had or have hyperthyroidism. Eventually their hind legs become weaker and weaker. I guess I'll be taking him to the Vet the beginning of January.

Re his diet - he eats raw food, Wellness Core and sometimes, if his appetite is bad, Gerber's Stage 2 Turkey.

Just received the baby scale so I can weigh him and I'm happy to report he now weighs 9 lbs. - up from his lowest weight of 7 lbs!
Old December 11th, 2009, 10:28 AM

To Hazelrunpack and Sugarcatmom

Thanks so much for your kindness at this difficult time for me.
I'm posting a photo of Mikey.
Attached Images

Old December 11th, 2009, 02:10 PM
Senior Contributor

Mikey sure was a beautiful kitty. Very elegant in his perfectly fitted tuxedo jacket. My condolences on his passing.

As for Simba, the reason I ask about his lab work is because hyperthyroidism can mask renal disease, and renal disease can sometimes cause hind-end weakness (for a variety of reasons). How well is Simba's hyperT controlled? Is he well hydrated? I'm a bit concerned about his appetite issues.

It probably would be a good idea to take him for another check-up when you can, but in the meantime, would you be able to get a copy of his latest lab work?

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old December 11th, 2009, 03:02 PM

Hi again -
I have lots O'lab test results.
In looking at them, I see that his T4 is 7.3 (10/19), down from 8.1.
Have increased his Methimazole dosage - will be retested in beg Jan.
His ALT is high, 134 as well as his BUN 47; his CRE is normal - 1.6

He is on daily Calcitiral, .3mg so there is some renal prob., right?and LIXOTINIC vitamin and mineral supplement

Do you need anymore info??
Old December 11th, 2009, 07:22 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Mikey was a beautiful boy He had Siamese eyes! Thanks for sharing his picture!

I hope you can figure out what's ailing Simba and get him on the road to recovery

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old December 17th, 2009, 09:37 AM

homeopathy? any suggestions? experiences?

Simba had a visit to the Vet yesterday. I was told that it is common for cats w/hyperthyroidism and some kidney issues to lose muscle mass in the hindquarters. When I asked why - he didin't seem to know.

Simba will have blood work done in two weeks to check his T4 and kidney function.

I hate giving him the cyproheptadine to get him to eat a decent amount of food, but I have to because he can't continue to eat his favorite, partially cooked ground turkey. It has too much protein for him. He is allowed his 1/2 jar Gerbers Stage 2 turkey baby food.

Does anyone know about homeopathy?
I was reading about it and yesterday I gave Simba one pellet of 30 Nux Vomica - it seemed to calm him.

I also have Bach remedies - Mimulus and Impatiens to mix w/water.
Old December 17th, 2009, 09:45 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Too much protein? Not sure why you are concerned about this, cats are carnivores they should be eating protein. That is what they use to get their energy and develop their muscles from.

Not sure if you are only feeding baby food or cooked ground turkey, but that is not nutritionally complete for a cat.

The best way to get your cat to gain muscle mass is to have your cat on a raw diet, period. I have seen it happen over and over again. My senior Puddles is one example, my many foster kittens who go from starving to raw back to kibble (kibble makes them loose muscle mass) when they go to the shelter for adoption. Not even canned food (Wellness kitten) was able to develop the muscle mass that an appropriate prepared raw diet does.

Here is a great website on cat nutrition, it is long reading, but well worth the education:

http://maxshouse.com/feline_nutrition.htm

Here is another website on raw feeding:

http://www.catinfo.org/

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old December 17th, 2009, 10:29 AM

I guess the doc doesn't want his BUN level getting too high.

Yes, you are right about raw diet - I tried the conversion many years ago though Simba, has 3 teeth - 1 front on top, 1 front on bottom and 1 right side!!!
(He had cogential gum disease as a kitten when I adopted him)

He can not chew, so that's why I started again w/ground raw turkey, and a little ground beef. He immediately gets diahhrea, though, so the quantities now are small.

He eats a combo of Wellness Core, baby food, ground turkey & beef
Also, Lixotinic Vit&Min, meds - Calcitriol, Methimazole

Thanks for the websites - I've seen them and they are very informative.
Old December 18th, 2009, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey&Simba View Post
Does anyone know about homeopathy?
I was reading about it and yesterday I gave Simba one pellet of 30 Nux Vomica - it seemed to calm him.

I also have Bach remedies - Mimulus and Impatiens to mix w/water.
Homeopathic remdies really should not be given unless prescribed by a homeopath or homeopathic vet. Nux Vomica 30C is a fairly high potency to give a cat when not instructed. The copper content in Nux Vomica can cause cramping when given at too high potency, or too often. It can also cause very dark almost blackish poop.

Yes Nux Vomica is used in both hyperthyoidism and kidney failure but there might also be a remedy that is better suited to your cat and his needs plus you need a proper potency for your cat.

Have a look at the referral list here http://www.drpitcairn.com/referrals/anhc_referrals.html for a trained homeopath vet in your area.

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying
Old December 18th, 2009, 10:13 AM

Thanks for the warning.

I've been reading Dr. Pitcairn's Complete Guide to natural Health for Dogs & Cats and also, The New Natural Cat for information.

I can't afford to go to a homeopathic vet - in my area, NYC, they are $$$$$$
I may be able to get some advice from a pet store that sometimes has free homeopath consultations.

I only gave Simba one nux vomica pellet yesterday. I'll hold off today.
Old December 18th, 2009, 10:44 AM
Senior Contributor

Hi there,my Rocky,13 yr old tabby also has HT,went from 16lb's to 12lb's before he was diagnosed .
He too has lost muscle-mass in his hindlegs,but has gain 1 lb.
I always thought cats with HT have a very good appetite,Rocky certainly does.
He takes 2,5 Tapazole daily,1 morn,1/2 mid-day and another whole at night.
I wish my cats would eat raw,they will only take a little raw chicken or beef,not a whole meal.
They all eat Wellness canned,Rocky however has had loose stools for about 1 yr,I add Slippery Elm Bark to his food,to try to combat that.
Old December 18th, 2009, 11:18 AM

Gee whiz - isn't it difficult to see them shrivel up and become ghosts of their former selves ;_;

Simba was 16 lbs! now down to 9 lbs - happily, up from 7 lbs!
He used to have a hearty appetite, but that's no longer the case and he needs the appetite stimulant so he's not food fussy.

Thanks for your slippery elm bark suggestion