Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old September 25th, 2013, 07:31 PM

Question Cat Housing okay?

Okay, so here's the deal.
I really want to get a cat, but someone in my house is allergic. So I had and idea. I would build a small building in my backyard, about 10x10x8 ft, and keep the cat in there. It would be heated and air conditioned, and would have a litter box, food, scratching post, etc. in it. He would be let out on a leash frequently so he could get some exercise. Also, the cat would only be alone for about 6 hours on weekdays, and during that time he would probably either sleep or amuse himself.

I think this is a good idea, but I wasn't sure. I need some feedback.
Old September 26th, 2013, 07:51 AM
Senior Contributor

How about rescuing a couple of cats so there is a companion, and there are so many cats in shelters? Then you could always add on a fully enclosed chain link run for the cats with stuff to climb on outside! Put windows and or skylights in the house. Cats love sunrays.
Old September 26th, 2013, 01:45 PM
Senior Contributor

I personally feel that this is not fair for the cat. Walking it on a leash it not the same as being able to run around and cats really do not like being on a leash . I would not leave two cats together if they have no way of getting away from one another. They could get onto a fight and badly hurt one another.
Old September 26th, 2013, 01:46 PM
Willing cat servant

I have 2 main concerns about your idea.
1 is make sure that it really won't bring any problems in the future with the allergic people complaining, etc that might leave the cat again homeless and even more confused than before. You really have to make sure it'll be OK for the kitty.
My second concern is you know the saying "Out of sight out of mind" You REALLY have to make sure to spend some time with the cat/s (even if you get a companion) make sure to give some play time and human company and love daily.

An idea based on Marty's post above: Get a cat (or a couple) out of death row (depends if where you live if you have kill pounds)
You could use this opportunity to save a cat from a very dramatic situation.
I wish with all I have that no place with have kill shelters at all. I don't think that's the way to go at all.
But anyway back on track those are my about your idea.
Old September 26th, 2013, 02:53 PM

Exclamation Reply

I don't have the resources for two cats, but I will spend lots of time with the one. And I will not be "walking it on a leash". I will be putting it on a long leash so it freely walk around.
More tips are welcome.
Old September 26th, 2013, 02:59 PM

Oh, and the allergic person won't get tired of the cat or anything.
Old September 26th, 2013, 03:20 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koteburo View Post
I have 2 main concerns about your idea.
1 is make sure that it really won't bring any problems in the future with the allergic people complaining, etc that might leave the cat again homeless and even more confused than before. You really have to make sure it'll be OK for the kitty.
My second concern is you know the saying "Out of sight out of mind" You REALLY have to make sure to spend some time with the cat/s (even if you get a companion) make sure to give some play time and human company and love daily.

An idea based on Marty's post above: Get a cat (or a couple) out of death row (depends if where you live if you have kill pounds)
You could use this opportunity to save a cat from a very dramatic situation.
I wish with all I have that no place with have kill shelters at all. I don't think that's the way to go at all.
But anyway back on track those are my about your idea.
The cat(s) will be leaving cat hairs on the OP clothes and they'll going back into the house and if the allergic person has a really bad allergy to cats this idea is not going to work at all. I really feel the OP should forget about getting a cat after reading what you said about "Out of sight out of mind" . The cat(s) would not be a part of the whole family routines and could every easily be forgotten about during the morning rush . I will have to give this idea a thumb down. The cat(s) has nothing to gain out this setup.
Old September 26th, 2013, 03:30 PM

The cat will not be forgotten, believe me! And the owner will have a special sweater and pants cover they wear that will go straight into the wash.
Old September 26th, 2013, 06:50 PM

Hi catcrazy37 !

One quick point for you: Cats should NOT be placed on leashes - cats are very different from dogs - leaving a cat on a leash can result in fatal injuries and/or death.

Please don't even consider it.

The only time a cat should be on a leash is when the guardian is with the cat.
Old September 26th, 2013, 07:14 PM
Senior Contributor

And is not safe to leave a dog tied up alone as more wild animals are going into people back yard . I know I sound like a broken record but I really think the OP idea is not safe for a cat.
Old September 26th, 2013, 08:41 PM

You sound like you really want a cat, but the situation isn't right for one right now. Why don't you go to a shelter two or three times a week and visit with each cat there, you could spend as long as you want there. The cats would absolutely love the attention that they seldom get, and you would feel good knowing your helping a homeless animal. It would also help you in the future in case you feel you must get a cat, this way you would be familiar with each one at the shelter.
Old September 27th, 2013, 07:26 AM
Administrator - Pet lover

Imo opinion it's not the ideal situation as domesticated cats can be pretty social and this one will live its life alone outdoors 'waiting' for visits from you.
The leaving the cat on a leash unattended is very dangerous.
Newcomers FAQ - How do I post on this BB?
Pet facebook group
Check out the Pet podcast
Follow me on Twitter
Old September 27th, 2013, 07:35 AM
Senior Contributor

Great idea Lindapalm. Be a volunteer at a shelter and give some TLC to the cats.
Old September 27th, 2013, 08:31 AM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Marko! very well put.

To the OP I am sorry your not likely getting the repsonses you want to hear but this is really a bad idea. My late kitty lived to 18 years old. Can you honestly see yourself going outside for possibly that long? can you see your kitty living in a house by itself for that long? its just not a win win situation for either of you.

Volunteering will get you close to animals and it is a great idea!!

Please consider the kitten or cat first!!
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old September 27th, 2013, 11:17 AM
Willing cat servant

I'm sensing OP is getting a bit annoyed by our concerns. I'm sorry. I really can see how you like cats and want to get one and maybe you think we whine too much however it doesn't seem like an ideal situation unless it was a life or death situation.
I think Lindapalm's idea is AWESOME. If you go to a shelter you get to spend time with cats, play with them, pet them, hold them they need it and you seem to be willing to give some wove. Maybe you could consider that instead.

P.S. Never leave a cat on a leash unsupervised it's reaaaally not a good idea. They can hang themselves, get entangled, all sort of stuff.
Old September 27th, 2013, 03:08 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koteburo View Post
I'm sensing OP is getting a bit annoyed by our concerns. I'm sorry. I really can see how you like cats and want to get one and maybe you think we whine too much however it doesn't seem like an ideal situation unless it was a life or death situation.
I think Lindapalm's idea is AWESOME. If you go to a shelter you get to spend time with cats, play with them, pet them, hold them they need it and you seem to be willing to give some wove. Maybe you could consider that instead.

P.S. Never leave a cat on a leash unsupervised it's reaaaally not a good idea. They can hang themselves, get entangled, all sort of stuff.
And it could become a meal for some wild animal. A coyote can right to my dog when I had him on his leash and I was standing right next to Marty. Will this a forum for people that love animals and their pets so I think it's strange anyone would get annoyed about us being very concerned about the cat safety and well begin. The OP did ask us what we thought of their idea and it's very clear we'll think it's not a good idea. I agree also that Lindapalm idea is great . It's a win win situation for the shelter cats and OP.
Old September 27th, 2013, 08:01 PM
Willing cat servant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingdog View Post
And it could become a meal for some wild animal. A coyote can right to my dog when I had him on his leash and I was standing right next to Marty. Will this a forum for people that love animals and their pets so I think it's strange anyone would get annoyed about us being very concerned about the cat safety and well begin. The OP did ask us what we thought of their idea and it's very clear we'll think it's not a good idea. I agree also that Lindapalm idea is great . It's a win win situation for the shelter cats and OP.
Actually you're right. I'm just speculating about what's on the mind of the OP
I think what we all want is the well being of animals ♡ Just like you said.

Tags
allergic, cat, feedback, mrow, problem