Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old April 22nd, 2003, 02:14 PM

Unhappy My cat has a bad eye

My cat is 15 years old and just underwent surgery to remove absessed teeth. Before we put her in surgery, I noticed that her eye was watering. The vet gave her some eye antibiotics and said that it should clear it up. After finishing the medication, her eye didn't clear it, instead it seemed to get worse. Her left eye looks very infected and has a cloudy coating over it and still waters. I was wondering what this could be and if I should get her another anitibiotic shot of some sort. She is old and I don't want to put her through any unnecessary stress . Any advice would be great.
Old April 28th, 2003, 09:46 AM
Administrator

Eye problem in cat

There is a possibility that the problem with the eye may be connected to the teeth. She may still need to go on an extended broad spectrum antibiotic, but would recommend that you take him for a recheck and tell your vet that he hasn't responded. A bacterial culture and sensitivity may need to be performed to help determine which antibiotic to use.

Was any blood work done - sometimes there is evidence of an underlying virus that cats may carry for a long time which may also be reducing his resistance.

Martin Slome DVM

Centre Street Animal Hospital
7700 Bathurst Street Units, 40-42
Thornhill
Ontario
L4J 7Y3

Tel. (905) 771-9855
Old February 12th, 2005, 10:41 AM

Cats eye

My cat is 13 yrs old, over the past 4 wks she is showing the colour orange around the pupil in one of her eyes. Sometime this disappears, but seems to come back after a couple of days, more orange some days than others. There is no discharge and it doesn't seem to be troubling her.

Is this something serious - kidneys?