Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Off topic forum > Crafts

Old December 31st, 2009, 05:35 PM
Senior Contributor

Discouraged....

Ok so I asked "Santa" for scrapbooking stuff, which he was nice enough to bring, cardstock paper, stickers, scissors, couple of scrapbook albums.
He also gave me a lil money to go buy some other stuff I might need.

I have waited so long to start scrapbooking, so looking forward to it. Then I go to Michaels, and I go to the scrapbooking aisles....and well suddenly I just felt completely discouraged. It then occurred to me, that I had absolutely no idea what I was doing, what I was getting myself into. I have no idea where to start. I was flabergasted at the amount of different scrapbooking products to choose from....and a lil taken aback by the cost of a lot of it
I picked up a few sheet embellishment kits, came home, put a couple sheets together, which look like they were put together by a kid in kindergarten..

I have always been creative....till now. Now I'm thinkin' that perhaps I should've done a lil more research before I decided to get into this hobby. I was just so impressed with the scrapbooking pages I've seen here on Pets. I thought "hey that looks like so much fun, I wanna do it too".
But after the few sheets I've done...I think it's fair to say...that I suck!..:sad:
Wendellan~ Feline~ 10(ish)
Theedee~Feline~10(ish)
"Da-Goob"~ APBT/Dogo x (5-6ish)

"My Pitbulls are better behaved than your kids!" (my favorite bumper sticker)
Old December 31st, 2009, 05:37 PM
-
Asteroids Champion, Starship Legend Champion, Rabbit Hunter Champion, Magic Ball Champion, Candy Tetris Champion, Bounce Back Champion, Breakout Champion

LMPG if you have a dollarama there they carry really cool scrapbooking stuff too, my sis is a scrap book junkie so that's where santa got his stocking stuffers for her from.
Old December 31st, 2009, 05:38 PM
Geek Club CEO

I second that...I was in dollerama yesterday and there's pretty much a whole aisle full of fun stuff... and any new craft is going to take some practice, don't get discouraged, just have fun with it...
Jaida - GSD - tripod trainwreck and gentle soul (4)
Heidi - mugsly Boston Terrier X - she is in BIG trouble!!! (3)
Audrey - torbie - sweet as pie (11 months)
Patrick - blue - a little turd (but we like him anyways) (6 months)
Old December 31st, 2009, 08:16 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

The Michaels' here holds classes in scrapbooking--maybe yours does? Or if there's a specialty scrapbooking shop around, they often have classes, too! They're just 'getting started', one-session free classes--basically you just pay for materials--and you can get some pretty good ideas there.

But I know what you're saying--I have a friend that scrapbooks and comes up with the most spectacular pages, but mine always look pretty pathetic

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old December 31st, 2009, 11:34 PM
Senior Contributor

try try again!!!!! you could always goggle scrap booking and i'm sure they have some tips and things. i have been wanting to scrap book too (i have tons of things) but due to the hubby's illness i haven't started yet. i know how you feel. a lot of the pages here look so good it makes me feel like i have no idea how to even start!

but things take time and practice. and try try again

Cats leave pawprints on our hearts forever

Eclipse July 23th 2004
Serena July 23th 2004
Stormy April 20 2007
Zoey RIP March 2006-April 2 2007
Old January 1st, 2010, 11:05 AM

Try visiting the library. They have books on scrapbooking, and I'm sure some of those show exactly how to lay out specific pages. You could follow directions for a few practice pages, and then start getting more creative and designing your own.
Sunshine~ Golden retriever X white german sheperd (Dad's dog)~October 24, 2008-
Old January 1st, 2010, 12:04 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

I usually find that I am not creative at all and certainly find that I get inspired by others! Try checking out a craft sale/booth or what about a Saturday or Weekend Courses offered through a community centre or school? they have those around here and they usually get you a bit more inspired?

What about friends? any of your friends scrapbook? if so you could start up a scrapbooking night for ladies and then take turns at each others house..great way to get together with the gals and have a night of fun! you also can share ideas of others and maybe get some inspiration from them!
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old January 1st, 2010, 04:13 PM
Senior Contributor

Thanks for the ideas!
There is a Dollarama in Calgary, next time I'm in the city I'll check there for some scrapbook supplies, Michaels is a tad spendy, although they do have some really nice stuff.
I am a member of the Doubledaybook Club, so yesterday I ordered a Scrapbooking Guide, hopefully that will help me get started as well.
I won't give up just yet, I was just feeling a tad discouraged because with what I paid for some embellishment kits and then with what I created, I just felt like I wasted my supplies...
I found a website about scrapbooking and the pages people created and posted were stunning, hopefully in time mine will look like that too.
Theedee~Feline~10(ish)

Old January 1st, 2010, 05:52 PM
Senior Contributor

Hey, just remember, there is no set way to do this. It's whatever you like.

A friend of mine gave me an idea and I thought it was great. She said you can get embelishments, and then add to them. Make your own. Get fabric remants and cut them into shapes, or use them as borders.

There are no rules.
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

http://nuriaandthegang.shutterfly.com/
Old January 1st, 2010, 10:46 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ancientgirl View Post
Hey, just remember, there is no set way to do this. It's whatever you like.

A friend of mine gave me an idea and I thought it was great. She said you can get embelishments, and then add to them. Make your own. Get fabric remants and cut them into shapes, or use them as borders.

There are no rules.
Ya know I was wondering bout that. Some of the pages I have seen online use lace and ribbons and even silk flowers, altho I wonder how the flowers hold up being closed between pages in an album.
Theedee~Feline~10(ish)

Old January 1st, 2010, 10:50 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

You could also try setting a page up but not actually attaching anything until you are sure you are happy with it. Then you have not "wasted" anything.
I have done the same with some of my projects. Everyone elses seem so nice and mine look like something the cat dragged in. No pun intended.
Practice, practice, practice.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old January 2nd, 2010, 10:02 PM
I'm a softy

Ok, i will see if i can help u a bit, my name on the site that i met l4h is craftymom, i give scrapbooking classes.
Start with a color, and layer another over it, about 1cm around. Always mat your photos, and i like square and rectangle, star, heart shape photos never look right. Add a title, and some embelishments.

Best thing to do, get a scrapbooking magasine and copy their layouts, i do! I prefer stampin up to creative memories if you go to a crop. I will try and post a couple pics of some nice but easy ones tomorrow, feel free to copy!
Adoptee Prada crazy dog extrodinaire
Tickles Tortie cat the owns my daughter
Old January 3rd, 2010, 09:48 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by lUvMyLaB<3 View Post
Ok, i will see if i can help u a bit, my name on the site that i met l4h is craftymom, i give scrapbooking classes.
Start with a color, and layer another over it, about 1cm around. Always mat your photos, and i like square and rectangle, star, heart shape photos never look right. Add a title, and some embelishments.

Best thing to do, get a scrapbooking magasine and copy their layouts, i do! I prefer stampin up to creative memories if you go to a crop. I will try and post a couple pics of some nice but easy ones tomorrow, feel free to copy!
I would love to see a couple of your pages! Thank you for the advice, I'm going to do some scrapbooking again tomorrow, if possible I'll post a pic of what I've done and perhaps you could tell me what I can do to make it better and such.

I went to Dollarama today, I spent 28 bucks and got tons of stuff! That 28 bucks at Michaels would've gotten me maybe a pad of papers or a couple embellishments. Dollarama didn't have much of a selection today, lots and lots of empty spaces, cleaned out by fellow scrapbookers! I'm going to go again later this week, hopefully everything will be restocked, but I am very happy with what I did manage to get.

Theedee~Feline~10(ish)

Old January 6th, 2010, 10:24 PM
Slave to the Kitties

I had problems at first too, but i think my pages got better with more practice. What 14+ said about laying them out first before glueing things down is how i do it also. Stick with it, it can be addicting though.
Old January 7th, 2010, 11:03 AM

My friend who lives in Michigan is very into Scrap booking, and it seems like the stuff she gets is way less expensive. I agree that dollarama is a good place for buying supplies, and I know they have many 'how to' books in the the libraries here. I also think Winners has more of scrap book stuff, and is often on clearance. It usually comes in 'kits' with a general theme, or colors.
But I have seen huge packages of with emelishments, and even fabric ribbon,
pens and all the stuff for around 5 dollars. Hope you continue to pursue your
scrap booking.

Last edited by Tig's mom; January 7th, 2010 at 11:04 AM. Reason: spelling
Old January 7th, 2010, 12:38 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tig's mom View Post
My friend who lives in Michigan is very into Scrap booking, and it seems like the stuff she gets is way less expensive. I agree that dollarama is a good place for buying supplies, and I know they have many 'how to' books in the the libraries here. I also think Winners has more of scrap book stuff, and is often on clearance. It usually comes in 'kits' with a general theme, or colors.
But I have seen huge packages of with emelishments, and even fabric ribbon,
pens and all the stuff for around 5 dollars. Hope you continue to pursue your
scrap booking.
Yeppers! I'm going to keep trying. My Jersey page gives me a little hope!
I'm working on an Abby page, but have pretty much run out of "supplies" thanks to Jersey's page

I'll have to make a trip to the city one of these days...
Theedee~Feline~10(ish)

Old January 7th, 2010, 02:19 PM
Senior Contributor

The beauty of being creative is being unique with your creations. You stamp it as your own work of art.

Let your own unique style dictate your work. Don't follow all the rules - go crazy and you will have something different.

There are no mistakes when it comes to art as it can be interpreted in so many different ways through different eyes. Just have fun with it.