Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old March 19th, 2004, 06:15 PM
banned user

Can't believe this

I got a letter from the pound today saying my neighbor complained about my dogs barking.
We have had trouble with this neighbor for 6 yrs. Now he calls the pound on me? They bark but not all day or night and generally I'm right there to tell them to be quiet.

Now what do I do? I looked up collars. No way for the electric ones. Citronella spray????? But I read it doesn't really help., and can traumatise them. Oh I'm so heart broken right now.

I did go and talk to the SOB and he admits he did it to get back at me cause we don't like his stereo pounding. What an *&% he is!

HELP!!!!!!!!
Old March 19th, 2004, 06:44 PM
Senior Contributor

Then I suggest you call the cops when the stereo is blasting.

Then I also suggest that you call the pound and tell them the situation...That your neighbour is an A$$.
Old March 19th, 2004, 06:50 PM
Senior Contributor

OK, thats just so unfair. Say no to getting in trouble. Just repeat it over and over "no, my dogs are not problem barkers. Whenever I hear them bark, I am right there to stop them. This guy has just called the pound because he wanted to get back at me for his stereo pounding."

Just keep repeating it over and over until they get the message!
Old March 19th, 2004, 07:55 PM

I agree...and that's so awful. I was an SPCA agent for a while many years ago and so many of the calls that they would receive were from vengeful neighbors looking for a way to make trouble. You would investigate a claim of animal cruelty/neglect and find out that the animal was in a good home but that there was a long-standing feud between someone in the neighborhood and this was one more attack. It makes it sooo much harder to figure out which dogs really need help

If you explain it to them, I'm sure they will understand. It happens so often...and you can also offer them an invitation to your place so they can see that your dogs are well-behaved and that you have control over them.
Old March 19th, 2004, 08:09 PM
Senior Contributor

And what gets me is,the pound sent a letter instead of coming down to see you.

A friend of mine has an a$$ for a neighbour.He called animal controll on her and said her 2 bichons Misty and Mojo were pooping on his lawn.They never go on his lawn.They live side by side and there is no fencing for the front lawn.Those dogs are on a leash at all times.Well animal control came to her house.She talked to them,and they went back and talked to the grumpy man.

The nerve of some peoples children.
Old March 19th, 2004, 08:11 PM
Senior Contributor

Amaruq,I am sorry to hear that and I hope you get it resolved....
There is barking and then there is barking
I complained once to the owner of a little wiener-dog who was yapping all day long,but his problem was being left alone all day outside.The owner from that day on kept the dog inside when she was gone all day.
But yours seem to be a mean-spirited problem,why did he call the HS? Just be careful so he does not harm your dogs,you never know!!!
Old March 19th, 2004, 08:58 PM
banned user

Thanks you guys ((((group hug))))))

I'm having a really tough week and this just seems to be the icing on the cake.

I went and looked at all the collars and could not bring myself to buy one. I did buy a muzzle, and will use it sparingly. I feel so sorry for her.

Missy as an ASPC agent what did you do when you found out it was revenge. I'm absolutely sick that they will take away my girls. I would never mistreat any of them and butt head next door knows that. It's his G/f that has a problem. I was just at the vets and go again in april...vets said they are all in great shape.
Old March 19th, 2004, 10:23 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

What a bugger neighbour

Do you know what your poochie is normally barking at?
Old March 20th, 2004, 08:46 AM
banned user

Yep the rotten squirel that sit on the above wire and waves its butt! But truly i bring them in quick as not to bother people. Or I'm outside with them playing? He's being a jerk bait is all and trying to get back at us. But I still worry about my babies. Hubby is going to the pound today and talk to them. I have pictures of what his dogs live in. Garbage and garbage. Its gross.
Old March 20th, 2004, 09:20 AM
Senior Contributor

This really is nasty isn't it .....useing your babies as a pawn to get back at you!! I know my Ursa goes just bolistic if she see's a squirell she will sit at the bottom of the tree till it comes down but will bark the whole time.......thank god I don't have neighbours close by to complain!!......I can really sympathize with your dilema I hope you can resolve the issue your neighbor sure is an a$$
Old March 20th, 2004, 09:32 AM
Senior Contributor

Amaruq I hope your hubbie can resolve this,but clearly the pound would not remove dogs that are loved and cared for?
I would think they have enough UNWANTED animals
Are you saying this miserable man has dogs too?
If only more humans would be like dogs
Old March 20th, 2004, 09:37 AM

Don't worry - taking someone's dog away is a last and worst case scenerio...and it was never done unless we had some concrete evidence that the dog was being neglected or abused.
Have them come by so they will be able to see that your dogs are happy ahd healthy and if you explain to them about the problems with your horrible neighbor then it should help resolve this.

I am pretty positive that they wouldn't have any cause to remove your animals and there is no way (if they are responsible people)would they take well-treated dogs out of a good home and put them into a cage in the pound.

Maybe you could start documenting when and for how long your dogs bark and keep detailed notes on all your interactions with your neighbor from here on in as a way to protect yourself and your dogs. That way you will have specific details to respond to if he continues to try to do this.

Anyway, I would think this be more of a noise by-law problem than a case for the pound.
Old March 20th, 2004, 03:47 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Well you can always do someting cruel LMAOOOO

Throw peanuts into the neighbours yard HAHAHHAA
Old March 20th, 2004, 05:07 PM
Senior Contributor

Luba

OK OK,it was funny.....LOL..
Old March 20th, 2004, 05:48 PM
banned user

Hubby went and talked to the pound. They said not to worry. He explained what's been happening. They also think its a vindictive neighbor. Hopefully its over and done (crossing fingers)
Old March 20th, 2004, 07:27 PM
Senior Contributor

Yay!!! Everything will be OK now!
Old March 20th, 2004, 10:49 PM
Senior Contributor

I did not think they would do anything....itis more of a by-law issue,like someone said before.
Here,dogs barking after 11pm is a no,no...so just in case,don't forget to put their watches on
Old March 20th, 2004, 10:57 PM

I can relate. I live below a guy who, without fail every 3:15am almost every night (the time it takes him to walk home after the bars close) will stomp around on his wood floors and blast his music. I've asked him at lease 3 times a month since I've moved in a year ago to please buy a pair of headphones or something.
The other day I was out walking my dog and he has the gaul to accuse my dog of barking all day causing him to not beable to study. I had been home all day with my dog all day and she had not barked at all.

Some people are just rude.

The noise bylaw (for Toronto anyway) actually states that noise -anytime- is grounds for a fine. See I served my rude neighbour a copy after his music was so loud that i could actually make out which songs he was playing.
The noise issue is why it's good to be civil with your neighbours. Since right now I'm living in those Victorian stack type house which are built side by side and there's an elderly couple right next door I usually keep quiet after 11 and they stopped playing their radio at full volume on Sunday mornings (my only day I get to sleep in)
Old March 21st, 2004, 03:55 PM
Senior Contributor

what are the noise laws where you are, surely a dog is allowed to bark in the day time, it is only expressing itself. a bit shocked at the toronto noise bylaws, wow, i would be to scared to fart. here in oz you can make as much noise as you like between the hours of 7am to 7pm, seriously i could stand in my yard with a jackhammer for 12 hours straight and no one could say a thing. but find out this noise info and your companion animal act or similar so you know your legal rights and responsibilities. then take it to the neighbour and shove it up his nose
Old March 22nd, 2004, 11:31 AM

What a nasty neighbour!
I can relate somewhat. I live in a townhouse and my dogs rarely bark when I'm gone. Once in a while when we go away for the night (which isn't often and we always have someone coming over to feed and let the dogs out) we seem to have a certain neighbour running to us complaining about our dogs barking all night long. I find this really hard to believe and usually when we investigate by talking to other neighbours, it really wasn't all night long, it was for a specific time period at night but certainly not "all night long"

One of my neighbours dog anoyed someone so they came home to a notice posted on the door with the box checked that said the animal had been reported abandoned and they were to call within 24 hours. The dog had only been there for the day while my neighbour was at work! Nothing happened but how nasty to report someone falsely. A dog barking or something is certainly a different story than abandoning them!

It annoys me when some neighbours try to make it out like dogs shouldn't live here because they don't like them and make out like some little thing is a huge problem. Some people! I could go on and on but I'll stop now.

Good luck with resolving your issues with your neighbour
Old March 22nd, 2004, 04:43 PM

amaruq... I had the same thing happen to me where i used to live.
My neighbors eldest son teased my 2 GSHP causing them to bark.So i ended up with a fine of $135.00 from the City and animal control. What a !#$%*

I explained my situation but they didn't listen.

So i got even by studying the land code laws my fine cost me $135.00, He had to replace his shed cause it was to high $600.00
He also had to put up a new fence around his pool because it wasn't high enough that was an easy $1000.00 or more

I hope that gives you some ideas to battle back.

DeerClan
Old March 22nd, 2004, 05:19 PM
Chocolate

HOLY SH!T!!!

I best get my dogs under control!!!!!!!

when ever the neighbours let the cats walk around the rooftops or when the CHILDREN taunt the dogs, they got ballistic!

I figure they're the once suffering... but once I dont hear it coming to an end, I bring the dogs in the house.

I had NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO idea I could be fined for my barking dogs.
Old March 22nd, 2004, 05:38 PM

wAggie....The fines are realy big now!
The GSHP i had before Tracker bit a guy that used to live next me where i am now,The police came and everything and that cost me just under $200.00,Plus i had to pay the guys wages for the month he was off and that was another $1600.00

Out of court settlement

DeerClan
Old March 22nd, 2004, 05:49 PM
banned user

What the pound told us is every dog barks. You can't stop a dog from totally barking but there is a by law again excessive barking..where it goes on for long periods of time. One two three woofs is nothing. Its the dogs outside that bark for hours on end that get fined.
I am writing a diary of when they bark...how many. Like today we are up to 4 woofs.
My neighbor is a pig! Can't take the garbage out for love or money. I have been taken pictures for years as it stinks and at times has been piled so high I can see it over my 5'5" fence. He doesn't like to clean up doggy do do. He now got a pup on top of another dog. It's gross. He has all of 10'x 25' yard. All garbage. In fact today i was out taking pictures again as they have boxes of old food open all over. I never called health dept. But dang he ticks me off enough I will.
Deerclan...was your neighbor responsible for the dog bite? Like did he do something to the dog? I think when people get bit they should look at the reason why? Most times people deserve it.
Old March 22nd, 2004, 06:46 PM
Senior Contributor

please be careful not to let him see you taking the pics, this could antagonise him or make him angry or a real bitch just to wage war with you (and he seems a little crazy so you dont want him to hurt you or your dogs). and OMG will they ban talking in the streets next, if anything animals should have more flexability in these areas as they are only natural creatures doing what comes naturally. just makes me mad
Old March 22nd, 2004, 08:50 PM
Chocolate

omg, this sounds SO horribly insane I cant believe it!!

Chocolate goes on a feuding bark when Honey's chasing him & he's enjoying it... so he lets her know he wants her to TRY & catch him

and that's a darn loud bark, oops, I meant barkS
Its not "excessive" in the sense that it lasts for hours but it can be a min or two

the instant my ears start ringing my blood pressure skyrockets & I stop them IMMEDIATELY.

*sigh*
Old March 22nd, 2004, 09:18 PM

amaruq....Yes he did my oldest daughter witnessed him poking her with a stick.

DeerClan
Old March 22nd, 2004, 10:49 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Thats disgusting deerclan...
probably a deliberate taunt to stir something up.

What happened to your dog after this?
Old March 23rd, 2004, 09:02 AM
banned user

What a jerk bait your neighbor is deerclan!!!!!!!!

Waggie don't worry about a few minutes....you also try to stop them...its the people who don't stop the dogs and they go on and on. I love the sound of kids playing and dogs playing. Its a happy sound and you know they are happy doing it.
Old March 23rd, 2004, 01:26 PM

Luba....Nothing happened to my dog she actualy played with a couple of the police officers they determined she wasn't vicious.

She later died that year of a stroke.