Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old June 30th, 2008, 12:49 AM

1 yr old chihuahua/greyhound mix.

Hello

We recently adopted two small 1yr chihuahua's a week ago. Both are crate trained. Both of them get extremely excited when we get home. The female, Peaches (yes i know its a terrible name), just can't hold it until she gets to the door, and will very often pee as we getting her leash on.Its extremely annoying, and a habit i really need to get her out of asap.

We've also caught her randomly peeing in the middle of the living room, always in a different spot.

I walk her at least 4 times a day, and her brother doesn't pee anywhere. She is neutered. She is monitored constantly, and is always kept in the same room...we only have a one bed apt, so its not that difficult.

Any advice would be much appreciated. If anyone needs to know more info please ask away.

PS....I read several other pee threads and didn't find any circumstances similar to this.

Thanks.
Old June 30th, 2008, 02:00 AM
Live well, laugh often

First of all I would recommend taking her to a vet to rule out any physical problems. She could possibly have a urinary infection. Once she has a clean bill of health I would recommend that you tether her to you with a leash while she is loose in the apartment. That will enable you to "catch her in the act" and prevent any incidents. If she does start to pee then don't punish her just startle her by clapping your hands or saying uh-huh etc. and then moving her to a pee pad / litter box or area that is approved for peeing.

All pee accident spots should be thoroughly cleaned with an enzyme cleaner that will destroy any leftover scent.

When coming home make sure to keep things as quite and subdued as possible. Ignore any excited behaviour and only talk and interact when the dogs are calm. This might help prevent those early accidents where she can't hold it until you get outside.

Is it possible that she is submissive peeing? If she is nervous in her new surroundings that might be what is happening. Again ... do not interact when you first come home until she is calm and quiet. If it is submissive peeing then she might outgrown this as she begins to feel more comfortable.
Old June 30th, 2008, 05:24 AM

Sounds like she is peeing out of excitement. My puppy does that, and they say they should grow out of it around 5-7 months old. However, maybe she is still doing it as it is a new environment for her. For me, as long as I ignore her for a couple of minutes and then put her leash on I am okay. Otherwise, I will get a sprinkle on the floor.

Chi's and small dogs in general are very difficult to potty train. They have small bladders, and need to be let outside often. After they drink, eat, and play they should be taken outside. I have a 5 year old chi, and that sounds like what mine did at first. Keep in mind, they are still new to your environment and will need to take some time to get use to their suroundings. I agree though, I would make sure there wasn't any health problems too.
Old June 30th, 2008, 08:09 AM

At a year old I think I"d do a health check with the vet first thing. Than if all is ok, you have a few options. There is thethering her to you if your able to have the time to do this and there is also starting the whole trainning over. I suggest a puppy pad very near the door your going to use to take her out. There is something in the puppy pads that does attract a dog to them,, than you can work your way to outside and hopefully if she isnt' going to make it out she will make it to the puppy pad.. Excitment piddles or nervous piddles aren't going to be helped by a puppy pad though. I"m sure your vet will have some great suggestions too. I don't know a lot about that breed,, and I could be very wrong,, but I think they tend to be a nervous type of dog, so pick your vets brain too, he/ she has experience with all breeds. ( oh and if she is piddling while you leash her,,, I really suggest you totally ignore here while your doing this till you get her outside, My dog did that too and the min you acknolaged her ,, she would go, so I wouldn't say a thing to her or look at her till we were out the door,, and it helped a lot )
Old June 30th, 2008, 06:04 PM

Thanks to everyone that replied. We're first time dog owners and all the advice is much appreciated.
Old June 30th, 2008, 07:01 PM
-

chihuahua/greyhound mix ?? I have to see this do you have any pictures ?
Old June 30th, 2008, 07:10 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchy View Post

chihuahua/greyhound mix ?? I have to see this do you have any pictures ?

I'm glad you asked, Frenchy, cuz I was wondering the same thing.
Old June 30th, 2008, 07:14 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbow View Post
I'm glad you asked, Frenchy, cuz I was wondering the same thing.
I'm hoping the greyhound was the mom but ... how can a Chi reach a Greyhound ?
Old June 30th, 2008, 07:21 PM
-

Quote:
I'm hoping the greyhound was the mom but ... how can a Chi reach a Greyhound ?
The greyhound was sleeping.
Old June 30th, 2008, 07:25 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbow View Post
The greyhound was sleeping.
and probably didn't feel a thing
Old June 30th, 2008, 07:27 PM
-

Quote:
and probably didn't feel a thing
Exactly !!!
Old July 1st, 2008, 01:21 AM

It's probably an Italian Greyhound they're a couple of inches bigger than a Chihuahua

I have no advice for you just & would love to see pics

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying
Old July 2nd, 2008, 02:19 PM

ok I tried to insert a pic of her, but it didn't work out too well.

Last edited by pumpino69; July 2nd, 2008 at 02:24 PM.
Old July 2nd, 2008, 02:58 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by pumpino69 View Post
I think you need a minimum number of posts before you can upload pics...5 maybe? So please post a few more times and try again!

How is she doing now? Any updates?

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old July 2nd, 2008, 09:32 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by pumpino69 View Post
:sad: we'll wait for pics , is she doing better ?
Old July 3rd, 2008, 02:18 AM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by growler View Post
It's probably an Italian Greyhound they're a couple of inches bigger than a Chihuahua

Oooops....never thought of an Italian Greyhound.

pumpino69, how is Peaches doing?
Old July 3rd, 2008, 06:04 AM

I am also waiting for the pictures....I once saw a Shih Tzu/Lab mix......it had the HUGE body of the Lab and the little legs of the shih tzu. I kep trying to figure out how the shih tzu did it...a step stool maby
Old July 3rd, 2008, 11:50 AM

Ok then I'll post a few more times.

We did a fostering to adopt scenario to make sure the dogs were a right fit for everyone. Obviously my wife and I fell in love with them instantly....but infortunately we had to go back to NJ for a week. Hence, they are back with the previous owners for a week while we're away.

Once I get back they'll be with me, and I'll definitely post an update. Apparently she's not peed anywhere in the foster home.
Old July 3rd, 2008, 12:12 PM

Unhappy

OK finally managed to do it. Here's a pic of both the pups, Max is a Chihuahua/Minature Pincher (spelling) mix.
Attached Images

Old July 3rd, 2008, 12:17 PM

Here's a better shot of her.
Attached Images

Old July 3rd, 2008, 01:24 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

They're both so cute! Peaches looks so feisty.

As for the peeing--how is the foster family handling it? I'll bet they'll be able to give you some solid advice on what works.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old July 3rd, 2008, 01:44 PM
-

They are both adorable and I can see why you fell in love with them. And it sure seems like they get along great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pumpino69
We did a fostering to adopt scenario to make sure the dogs were a right fit for everyone. Obviously my wife and I fell in love with them instantly....but infortunately we had to go back to NJ for a week. Hence, they are back with the previous owners for a week while we're away.

Once I get back they'll be with me, and I'll definitely post an update. Apparently she's not peed anywhere in the foster home.

Does the foster home include a male figure as well? I have heard several times of submissive peeing in a dog only when it is around a male person....perhaps because of a gruffer voice or appearance.
Old July 4th, 2008, 01:22 AM

They are both adorable

Since the foster home is the previous owners....I wonder if the peeing has just been new home stress

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying
Old July 4th, 2008, 11:34 AM
-

Cute pups ! They look like great friends
Old July 16th, 2008, 05:37 PM

We've had them back for a week and the peeing has stopped!!

Unfortunately, Peaches has turned into a raving lunatic on the leash. She's now barking and lunging at everybody that walks by. She also can not or will not pay attention to either of us. She's just pulling so much that if we stand still she's still pulling up onto her hind legs.

I've started to stop her, move her behind me wait until she sits...(20 mins this morning) once she calms down we move. But....she just rushes off again. So round and round we go....its getting very boring, and i'm not going to lie, I have gotten frustrated a few times.

Any advice on that???

I'm contemplating a shock collar for the barking, as she just ignores the citrinella collar, infact she just barks at it. I'm also contemplating a pong collar, although I don't know how extreme that is.

Unfortunately she's a year old!! She's had zero training, and has always gotten her own way.

I need it to stop asap.

Once again, any advice is much appreciated.
Old July 16th, 2008, 08:41 PM
Senior Contributor

1 yr. old chi

Congrats on your cute new pups. I would enroll Peaches in obedience classes if thats feasible.
Old July 18th, 2008, 05:16 PM

Quick update!! Obviously my wife and I have never had any dogs in our adult life, so we're pretty much learning from the Dog Whisperer as we go along.

We had two issues:

1) Peaches constantly pulling and rushing everywhere on the leash. if Max was infront of her she would not be able to focus on anything apart from been at the front.
2) Peaches barking at everyone and every dog...sometimes scarily.

Well when we got them back I decided that no dogs were allowed into my apt until I let them in. So they sit on our door mat, with the dog wide open and they stay there until I'm ready to get them in. I generally won't go for more than 10 mins, but I will do it while I put their food together and I'll also put their food down on the floor and hold them outside. Until they are calm and understand that I am in control......wow.....they have suddenly found a new level of respect for us...and they will sit there for 10 mins with just one "STAY".

Secondly while walking her I've began to step infront of her and literally not allow her to overtake me. After 8 walks in two days, no more pulling (even if Max is in front) she seems happy now that she has been put into place.

the barking hasn't completely gone, but I have figured out its just solely because she wants to play. Not because she's been overly aggressive. Its just her playful nature and once she's sniffed the other dog its all fun and games. Unfortunately a lot of people don't want to bring their dog near her when she is going crazy....I'm working on it.

Anyway, we've made a lot of progress over the last few days...hopefully we'll have a nice peaceful life from this point forward!!!