Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old March 4th, 2005, 11:07 AM
Got Rotts?

Exclamation Help for Smooth

Smooth is a 10 year old Rottweiler lost near Pulley's Mill, Ill. Her owner was involved in a fatal accident over a week ago on her way to an Agility trial in Chattanooga. Smooth escaped the accident scene and is constantly sited in the area but is avoiding her rescuers. Here is a blog on the coordinated rescue. http://smoothssearch.blogspot.com/ There are links there to the original newspaper story as well.

We would appreciate all good thoughts and prayers to whomever you believe in for her safe return to those who love her.

Thank you!
Old March 4th, 2005, 11:18 AM
Got Rotts?

If you go to the blog and are wondering why people are wanting to write to thank the Truck driver, I'll explain.

The original article reported that the Truck Driver who stopped to help was prevented from entering the vehicle by Smooth.. that she was in "protection mode". Later in the week the Truck Driver was in the same area and heard what was being reported. He came forward with what really happened.

He saw the accident scene and saw Smooth jumping up and down outside the driver's door. He crossed 4 lanes of traffic on foot and tried to open the driver's door. When he couldn't he went to the passenger side and opened it. He climbed inside and Smooth climbed inside next to him. He uncovered Diane's face and discovered she hadn't survived. Smooth looked at her owner's face and then turned and ran. The truck driver saw three other dogs in the van. Two were okay but one was pinned inside a smashed crate. He pried the crate open and got the dog out. It had a piece of metal sticking in it's leg. He pulled the metal out and the dog ran off. They caught that dog just a few hours later. Rottie owners everywhere wish to thank the Truck Driver for telling the true story of Smooth's behavior.

As for Smooth. She stays in the same general area of the accident. She's been spotted numerous times on a rock outcropping that overlooks the accident site. I just want to cry thinking of her out in the cold snow, alone and missing her mom.

Susan
Old March 4th, 2005, 01:46 PM
Teddy's Canine Railroad

just wondering...

If they got a dog trap from a humane society, put it near where she is spotted and put some of her owners unwashed clothing(meaning worn laundry) in it, if she wouldn't go in there for comfort?

I think about her daily as I have seen it on many message boards about her and the accident.
Old March 4th, 2005, 02:04 PM
Got Rotts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMDLuver
If they got a dog trap from a humane society, put it near where she is spotted and put some of her owners unwashed clothing(meaning worn laundry) in it, if she wouldn't go in there for comfort?

I think about her daily as I have seen it on many message boards about her and the accident.

They have... two humane traps in two locations she has been seen often. They have thing's of Diane's in and near them.

I think of her daily also. It just breaks my heart.

Susan
Old March 4th, 2005, 02:16 PM
Teddy's Canine Railroad

Dog

This poor girl must be so terrified. I really hope they are able to get her soon.
Old March 4th, 2005, 03:52 PM
Senior member - formerly goldengirl

I may get jumped all over for this, but would the local zoo have a tranquillizer gun??? The poor thing is obviously in great distress and in danger, especially if she is near the highway/roadway where the accident happened. Smooth has been spotted frequently, so it might be worth a try. Of course, if they miss and the sound of the shot spooks her, she might not return to the area again.

Is Smooth spotted at relatively the same times? Maybe if a family member was there with one of the other dogs, she might come around. Poor thing, my heart goes out to her. Scared, mourning, cold, probably hungry.

The truck driver restores some of my faith in people and Smooth, her canine and human family are in our prayers
Old March 4th, 2005, 04:03 PM
Got Rotts?

I won't jump all over you for the thought. I thought of the same thing. I'm sure someone there has thought of it as well. Maybe because of her age (10) they veto'd the idea?? <shrug> I don't know.

You can post your thoughts at Smooth's blog. Maybe one of the persons in the search area could better answer the question.

Susan
Old March 4th, 2005, 04:25 PM
Missing My Ciara, 3-21-06

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengirl
I may get jumped all over for this, but would the local zoo have a tranquillizer gun??? The poor thing is obviously in great distress and in danger, especially if she is near the highway/roadway where the accident happened. Smooth has been spotted frequently, so it might be worth a try. Of course, if they miss and the sound of the shot spooks her, she might not return to the area again.

Is Smooth spotted at relatively the same times? Maybe if a family member was there with one of the other dogs, she might come around. Poor thing, my heart goes out to her. Scared, mourning, cold, probably hungry.

The truck driver restores some of my faith in people and Smooth, her canine and human family are in our prayers
RDA guns are relatively quiet and safe, but you do have to fire from a close range.
Old March 4th, 2005, 04:47 PM
Senior Contributor

What a sad story :sad: I am hoping to read some good news soon,poor Smooth,just the idea of her running around confused,scared and lonely and mourning her owner Diane...My sympathies to he family :love:
Old March 4th, 2005, 06:19 PM

When I worked for animal control we were alway's called in for accidents with injuries/ fatalities that had animals in the vehicle. (Sometimes the dogs would not allow paramedics near the victims)..many times the dogs would bolt, confused & scared. The greatest tool for capturing them safe was a relative of the victim or someone in canine rescue. And alot of patience.
Using a RDA gun is always an option but I hated to use one on an animal hanging around the accident site. The dog will not drop immediatly and the risk of it running into traffic is high..saw that happen once.
We called Jaye Parrett, who is still the cruelty investigator for the county, she set's up camp in the area and will not leave until she befriends the dog. I have not heard of any unhappy endings when she was involved.
Old March 4th, 2005, 10:29 PM
Got Rotts?

Smooth Has Been Caught!!!!

She's been caught!!! Whoo Hoo! More details as I get them...

Susan
Old March 4th, 2005, 10:35 PM
Kitty Consort

Oh, I am so glad they were able to get her!
The poor thing must be totally terrified and traumatized.. hope she will be re-united soon with loved ones. :love:
Old March 5th, 2005, 09:28 AM
Senior Contributor

Awww,that's what I was waiting for Made my day!!!
Old March 5th, 2005, 10:47 AM
Got Rotts?

Exerpt from Smooth's blog re: her capture

Saturday, March 05, 2005
To get a copy of the rescue "bible"
Someone asked about getting a copy of the book. Go to this website and click on Sheltie Rescue Shop. I bought several, gave one to our library, have others to loan out.

http://www.jacksonvillesheltierescue.org/

Regards, Martha

posted by jan @ 7:06 AM 0 comments

Friday, March 04, 2005
I almost forgot
I want to extend a special thank you to the many animal communicators that have been telling Smooth to go to the trap and await friends that will love and care for her. I have never used a communicator, but I have had friends assure me they are wonderful and have performed the unimaginable with animals.
Thank you to each one of you for your persistant help you have graciously offered throughout and to the one that talked to Michelle just this morning....'how 'bout that????
Hugs and God Bless everyone!!
jan

posted by jan @ 9:37 PM 5 comments

Smooth is found!!!
At 7:10 p.m. the phone rang and a voice said, "Martha, this is Janice. Bob says tell you that dog is in the cage."
I called Michelle and probably split her eardrum and we both took off for Pulley's Mill for maybe the 50th time but this was the ONE. I didn't call anybody because I wanted to see her with my own eyes first, and there she was -- wearing the same collar as in the photos we used on the flyers.
We carried the trap down the hill and put it in the vehicle. We waited a few minutes while Bob's sister came down, as she was the one who had called me yesterday and said Bob had seen Smooth in his yard. She was very glad to see people and was licking any fingers she could reach through the wire.
Then we drove in caravan to the secure kennel, carried the trap inside, and let her out. She was SO hungry, when I left she was still looking for food and loved having clean water. She looks remarkably good considering she's been out 12 days. She's thin but not severely thin, her eyes look puffy and she's favoring her left hind.
After talking to Bob yesterday, I made the decision to move the first trap to his yard, even though that meant both traps were within sight of each other. The reasoning was that the terrain was so different she could have a choice of the hilltop or the valley and trees. She chose the valley within an hour of the trap being set.
Thanks to Darley Duffy and her "bible" on how to find a lost dog, and her constant reminder, "Be patient!!!! Give her time!"

Martha

posted by jan @ 7:59 PM 22 comments

Now some instant details
NO, I do not have the info on her capture, but I am on the phone as I type this and I can hear Smooth panting and Michelle baby talking and have been told that Smooth is lying on the floor between Michelle's legs with her head in her lap as Michelle is picking off ticks.. Ooops...apparently Michelle is getting her face fully washed and all the while Smooth's stump is going a thousand miles an hour.
They have taken her to a local grooming shop, whose owner is also helps with rescue....but I think Michelle will be taking Smooth home tonight because Smooth has become like velcro to her. It is amazing, I am sitting here in tears...I try not to get emotionally involved with the dogs over the years, but Smooth and Diane more than touched my heart.
I have to say the tenacity of Martha did pay off and for that I am so grateful, it is either that or the Lord or Diane heard my carefully laid out long terms plans and told Smooth to get her rear in the trap and end this....
Smooth is acting as if Michelle were her long lost best buddy...Michelle had permission to go to the RV and obtain whatever articles that might be used in the recapture of Smooth so she had gathered laundry etc and lots of dog's toys this afternoon...apparently Smooth recognizes her toys...(now doesn't that sound just like a Rottie)....
Smooth is one happy dog right now but is sure not going to let Michelle move away from her...sigh
Thanks again everyone....I will let you make comments for a couple of days, then this blog will close....
Love, hugs and
God Bless
jan

posted by jan @ 7:17 PM 6 comments

SMOOTH HAS BEEN CAUGHT!!!
I came home to a call on my phone that Smooth has been caught. I am sure that Martha will post ASAP with all of the details. If not I will find out and post ASAP!!
God Bless everyone for there Prayers....they WORKED!!!!
jan
Old March 5th, 2005, 01:01 PM
Got Rotts?

News article re: Smooth's capture

http://www.southernillinoisan.com/ar...0626561460.txt
Old March 5th, 2005, 06:25 PM

I love happy endings!
Old March 5th, 2005, 06:34 PM
Teddy's Canine Railroad

wonderful news!

Thanks heavens Smooth's ordeal is now over.