Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Breed characteristics and traits

Old August 5th, 2007, 04:15 PM

Curious about breeding....

Im not sure if I can even post this.
It seems you cant post ANY info or questions about personally breeding your dog. Not here and not even on Craigslist. can anyone tell me why this is??

Im just curious.

Any info would be helpful. And maybe someone can tell me where I can go about it the right way.

Thanks.
Old August 5th, 2007, 04:43 PM

Hello: What questions did you require answered?
Old August 5th, 2007, 04:52 PM
Senior Contributor

There are almost 200,000 dogs listed on Petfinder looking for homes. This is somewhere between 50% and 75% of the dogs that are homeless but with shelters or rescue groups in North America.

Low estimates of 1.5 MILLION dogs are euthanized every year simply because they have no home. Not because they are viscious. Not because they have a behavioural problem. Not because they are ill. Just because they have no home.

I think that you will find that the members here fully support ETHICAL breeders. However, to be honest - if you have to ask questions on a forum full of strangers how to breed your dog, then you most certainly aren't ready to be a breeder.

Most of the members here are very much involved in rescue. This means that every day we see puppies that have no homes. Some of us have even been in the inenviable position of working at or volunteering at a shelter and have held said puppies while they have been put to sleep. It is a thankless job that is gut wrenching to say the least. Nothing makes us angry faster then someone posting about how they want their little "Cuddles" to have babies so that they can show their children about the miracle of birth or make some cash.

We would be more then happy to tell you what it takes to be an ETHICAL breeder. But we really don't want to help you bring more puppies into the world if you aren't willing to do it the right way.

Does that make sense?
Old August 5th, 2007, 04:53 PM

Why cant we post anything about personal dog breeding?

Craigslist wont allow you to post anything about it as well.
Old August 5th, 2007, 04:57 PM
Senior Contributor

I will assume that you read what I wrote above.

What is it you want to know?
Old August 5th, 2007, 04:59 PM

Completely Understand.

Thank you for the info.
Old August 5th, 2007, 05:09 PM

LavenderRott

I love your direct imput in this area! It is so compliclated to address this area.. We have bred our female Gsd once and she is being spayed we bred our Dob twice and now being spayed..

The intense time effort vet costs and certifications must come into play.. Then it is researching the prospective homes.. then taking the time to explain to the purchasers why you refused them... Its just so intense its nuts.. but in the other aspect it should never be about the money but about the dogs welfair and who they are directed to that must come into play...

Its about breeding for a reason not a season, and breeding for quality not quanity.. making sure that you have the correct homes then again making sure they never end up on petfind.com... We have a buy back contract and a training contract that all purchasers must sign.. as you said its about ethics where our dogs are and should be concerned with...
Old August 5th, 2007, 09:31 PM

IF YOU REALLY LOVE YOUR CAT OR DOG YOU SHOULD SPAY OR NEUTER IT a.s.a.p !!!!!!!! This forum is pro-spaying and neutering. There are far too many unwanted animals out there and no one wants them. Many end up euthanized. The females suffer needlessly, OFTEN PREGNANT SEVERAL TIMES IN THEIR LIFETIME. THAT' S WHY!!!!!
Old August 6th, 2007, 10:45 AM

Hi yes you do have a point, some dogs should be altered and some should be bred.. Its about the breeding practices that we should be concerned with..

We breed and raise Shepherds for Police Services and have done since 1989.. We as well only breed to improve the dogs rather than just breed to for money.. Each and every purchaser receives a full package here.. Such as Ob classes, 4 year health guar and a buy back contract.. None of our dogs have ever ended up on petfind and or at the shelter.. They come home first..
Old August 6th, 2007, 02:19 PM
-

We have had a number of very disturbing and involved threads in the past few months about breeding, ethical breeding, backyard breeding, puppy mills and so on. And I'm sure every so often we will continue to have the odd thread ~ we had two in the last week alone which were .

This particular forum is about BREEDS not breeding. There is no forum about breeding for the simple reason that this board is pro spay and neuter. In other words ~ let's not get into this again.

NY1Chad if you are truly interested in why we are pro-spay neuter and why we don't have a forum Lavender Rott's position is very informative however, if you are still looking for more information, please use the "search forums" function for recent and historic discussion.

Let's NOT get into this again.
Old August 6th, 2007, 02:50 PM
Senior Contributor
Typing Test Champion, Curveball Champion, Mahjong Champion, Zookeeper Champion

I've decided to not get sucked into these discussions anymore either.

Cindy
Old August 6th, 2007, 02:52 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by clm View Post
I've decided to not get sucked into these discussions anymore either.

Cindy
I just can't help it
Old August 6th, 2007, 03:03 PM
Senior Contributor
Typing Test Champion, Curveball Champion, Mahjong Champion, Zookeeper Champion

I know, sometimes it's hard to resist diving right in there. I feel like such a salmon afterwards sometimes though.

Cindy
Old August 6th, 2007, 03:12 PM

Situation under control.. I will refrain from discussing this area again.. I read a few of the closed posts and I too do not wish to go there.. So once again I appoligiz e for any inconviences
Old August 6th, 2007, 08:21 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
some dogs should be altered and some should be bred.. Its about the breeding practices that we should be concerned with..
With all due respect, almost no dogs or cats should be bred in my humble opinion. The ONLY dogs (and I leave it at dogs since this is what the thread refers to) who can be ethically be bred are those who are champions and then the dog must be genetically and medically ready and prepared and there are so many other conditions that it takes a highly experienced and knowledgeable person involved in showing their dog, armed wit lots of money - for vet care and the dog and puppies' needs, a vet on speed dial and a place prepared to care for puppies (and that includes a breeder prepared to take back puppies when necessary at any age). It also means one breeds a dog perhaps only once a year and at the most for three years until the dog retires from the show circuit.

One must breed for the right reason - the love of the breed and improving upon the breed. The only way to breed a dog is to make certain firstly that the pooch is registered with a reputable organization (not some of those fly by night groups that show you a meaningless piece of paper) , secondly that one gains experience and learns through a mentor in the show process and then IF the dog becomes a Grand Champion, it might be possible to breed her or him depending on her/his medical and genetic situation. Usually, s/he should have strong genetic lines even if s/he herself is a Grand Champion. It is along and expensive process - no one I know ever makes money from it - it is a hobby, an expensive and daunting one. You must also learn about the medical aspects of dogs and puppies and the nutritional needs and a plethora of other issues.

Please do not breed your dog unless you can meet all those criteria!! They are far too many wonderful dogs currently siing in shelters and rescues across North America for anyone to simply take up breeding without going through the proper channels.