Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Introduce yourself here - Say hello

Old March 26th, 2006, 10:51 AM

Hello everyone

Hi everybody just signed up. I have 6 cats named Frank, Ringo, Lola, Monty, Charlie & Nut-Nut. I also have a Rabbit called Bunny-Boy, a tarantula called Doris & a fish tank full of fish!! I am pregnant and wondered if others think whether cats can sense this?
Old March 26th, 2006, 11:26 AM

Hi there, Yes I think animals can tell, I used to work in a dog kennel before and during my first preg, some of the regular dogs knew me well. Before I was preg they were fine but during they acted alot different, your body produces different smells via your hormones changing and I had to change my duties there until the end for safety. Now I know you were asking about cats, and most definitely (I feel so), cats are very sensitive to their surroundings and changes in loved ones (hormones,moods,habits,etc...) we had several cats during both pregs and the cats took on different roles, my one who would sit beside you a cushion away now liked to be pressed up against you (for heat I think) I hope you are the type of person who keeps her cats, this is not a problem, (as some people might tell you) have your partner take up cleaning duties for awhile, many people put up temp screen doors on their babies room so the cats cannot go in, there are lots of things that you can do so the cats are prepared and do not take an interest in the babies room and crib etc... hope this helps alittle
Old March 26th, 2006, 02:13 PM
Crusader

hiya chelle79 and welcome!! i cant wait to see pix of your critters! and Thanks for sharing Libby..makes interesting reading i should prob go start a convo on that lol..
Old March 27th, 2006, 11:02 AM

Animals can definately sense pregnancy..especially your pets! I had a dog a few years before I got pregnant..this dog would NEVER potty in the house. After I became pregnant and started working in the baby's room..well at least 2-3 times a week..there would be a "present" for me. I truly believe she knew something was amiss in her world! After Sean was born..no more problems, and she was great with him!
Old March 27th, 2006, 03:19 PM

That's funny I'm pregnant now and my cats have reversed personalities. Thunder, who was more of a dog in how she would pour herself over your lap for you to scratch her belly, now doesn't come to me when I call. Twister, who was perfectly content doing "her thing" and ignored you half the time, spends all day with me. And my pupy can only tell when he's laying by my stomach and he sees the baby kick... then he tries to bite my stomach... i'm working on getting him to stop. But animals definately sense a change and they react differently. I'm hoping to get them all used to this new baby on the way and help them feel loved!

"A righteous man cares for the needs of his animal,
but the kindest acts of the wicked are cruel."
- Proverbs 12:10
www.myspace.com/mhass1129