Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old December 20th, 2008, 04:23 PM

Unhappy Desperate for Puppy help! Mange :(

Hello everyone. I am so sorry if I missed a previous post on this subject.

I breed German Shepherds but not for money but more for enjoyment of the breed. I had a litter of 6 Puppies Born on November 4th, 2008. When I took them to the Vet, they were diagnosed with puppy mange. I had not really noticed it until it was pointed out to me. It was not bad at all. That was on 12/13 when they got their shots. Here is my problem. The vet gave me a medium bottle of Chlorhexidine Shampoo for them and I am supposed to get them wet, lather them up (entire body) let it sit on them for 15 minutes and somehow keep it out of their eyes, then rinse them twice and let air dry. I swear I love my dogs and pups more than anything in the world...but there has to be a better way. I work 3 jobs and doing this takes hours.

A friend of mine has had this issue before and he brought me some Mnage Treatment and it is 25.0% Sulfur and 0.3% Phenol. It is in an 8 oz bottle and it says not to use on young puppies still feeding. My pups are eating solid foods and not suckling any longer. Does that mean this will be okay for them? I would hate to burn the skin. Can anyone help me with the mixing measurements? The bottle says to rub the medication in lightly, let dry and apply a second time. At 7 day intervals for 2 treatments. So, I am concerned why one would have me spend hours at a time for weeks, maybe months and the other only needs two applications over two weeks? I hope someone else can see where this would be appealing, however, the thought of my puppies being uncomfortable is unbearable. I will welcome any and all suggestions. Thank you all, I know I am long winded.

Concerned Crys

Last edited by crystwitch1; December 20th, 2008 at 04:24 PM. Reason: wrong title
Old December 20th, 2008, 04:32 PM
Senior Contributor

The puppys are just over 6wks correct? I wouldnt put anything other then what vet has prescribed..
Old December 20th, 2008, 04:37 PM
Blue eyed funny farm

Quote:
Originally Posted by crystwitch1 View Post
I swear I love my dogs and pups more than anything in the world...but there has to be a better way. I work 3 jobs and doing this takes hours.
But thats a big part of breeding dogs... doing things that require alot of time

Honestly, at that age I would definitely "suck it up" and use the stuff the vet recommended, even though it will take hours and seem to be a burden right now, how would you feel if something did go terribly wrong with the other stuff?

Good luck.
Old December 20th, 2008, 04:39 PM
Senior Contributor

is there not different types of mange? What type do they have?
Old December 20th, 2008, 04:45 PM
Blue eyed funny farm

There's scarcoptic and Demodex...

Demodex lives on the hair follicles while scarcoptic lives under the skin ( scabies)

One is contagious to other dogs the other is not.
Old December 20th, 2008, 04:57 PM
Senior Contributor

I thought so...Tx erykah That med the friend gave may be for the one kind but not the other?
Old December 20th, 2008, 04:58 PM
Senior Contributor

mange info
Old December 20th, 2008, 05:03 PM

I am not a hardcore breeder...as a matter of fact, this litter was an accident...as much as that can happen. I care for my dogs and they get any Vet attention they need. I recently moved into a VERY rural area and changed Vets...that is part of my problem...I do not have a good feeling about him. One reason for this concern is precisely the question submitted a few moments ago. He did not tell me which kind they had. After researching on the internet as accurately as possible I am almost certain they have Demodectic Mange. I have already started feeding them extra nutrients because they need the extra nutrition for the overall defeat and to make sure it does not come back. I have seen many posts and blogs and even "Vet" sites recommending "lyme" dips. I promise, it is not that I don't want to take several hours a day to care for these beautiful pups...I simply can't...perhaps I should find someon to adopt this litter that can care for them. Due to unchangeable circumstances I simply have to keep all three jobs. I would love to quit one...or two! I would like to thank you all for your responses and please don't think me heartless...I am truly trying to do what is best within the limits I am confined to. Who would not want the best for these faces??? Yes, I have two grey ones...they are georgeous. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Attached Images

Old December 20th, 2008, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamondsmum View Post

Thanks Diamonds! Also, I called my friend and he is not really positive of anything regarding this medicine and it just seems much too strong for the pups. Also, I cannot find any information regarding the use of it...I am starting to wonder if they should even be selling it!
Old December 20th, 2008, 05:39 PM
Senior Contributor

Given that they are so young, I would personally be looking for the most gentle methods possible to get rid of the mange. Dr. Pitcairn's Complete Guide to Natural Health for Dogs & Cats has good suggestions.

I hope you'll spay and neuter the mother and puppies before placing them, as they should clearly not be part of any breeding program.

http://www.peteducation.com/article....2+2107&aid=729
Quote:
Demodectic mange is not an inherited condition, but the suppressed immune system that allows the puppy to be susceptible to the mites can be. Remember that all puppies receive the mites from their mother, but only a few have ineffective immune systems and develop the mange. This sensitivity can be passed genetically through generations. Individuals that have a history of demodectic mange, and their parents and siblings, should not be bred. Through careful breeding, most cases of generalized demodicosis could be eliminated.
Old December 20th, 2008, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitgrrl View Post
Given that they are so young, I would personally be looking for the most gentle methods possible to get rid of the mange. Dr. Pitcairn's Complete Guide to Natural Health for Dogs & Cats has good suggestions.

I hope you'll spay and neuter the mother and puppies before placing them, as they should clearly not be part of any breeding program.

http://www.peteducation.com/article....2+2107&aid=729
I do realize that and will take the necessary precautions.
Old December 20th, 2008, 06:56 PM
Blue eyed funny farm

Does the mother have mange as well?
I would insist that the vet tells you which mange you are dealing with here, scarcoptic ( scabies ) is highly contagious and although they can not complete their life cycle on humans they can still irritate the skin until they die.
If every dog in your household has mange, its most likely the scarcoptic, demodex wont affect the mother neccisarily as she will have a healthy immune system to fight them. I'm not sure if scarcoptic would fall under the same category as weak immune system or not?

Could you perhaps get someone to help you out with the prescribed treatment?
Old December 20th, 2008, 07:11 PM

Hi Erykah...The mother does not have any signs of the disorder at all, but I do understand she may not be showing it. It is funny you asked that because I was just on the phone trying to drum up some help. I just cannot consider using the Sulphur, it is in the trash. All of the Puppies are not infected, well, at least they are not showing the symptoms yet. Even the 3 that are is very mild at this point so I am sure te quicker I move the better. I will just have to go without sleep. umm, "Suck it up" as you said. Thanks.
Old December 20th, 2008, 09:55 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Have you talked to the vet again? First ask if it's sarcoptic or demodectic mange. If it is demodectic mange, supplements might help. Anything that boosts the immune system will help. Ask if omega-6 supplements are okay to give at that tender age. And if the mange is not widespread, there are topicals that he might be able to suggest for you. Given their young age, though, I wouldn't use anything that you haven't cleared with the vet.

If it is demodectic mange, then it isn't contagious--most dogs have the mites, but only those with compromised immune systems develop the mange. Generally, once they've kicked it, they don't get it again. But it can be serious, so treatment is always a good idea.

Sarcoptic mange is contagious and I think all the pups would be showing symptoms...the mom, too...if this were sarcoptic mange. that you're dealing with the demodex mites!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old December 21st, 2008, 02:18 AM

Speaking from experience....If you're not comfortable with the Vet's findings go to another VET and get a second opinion. My poor puppy had a few bumps and when I took her to the Vet he told me it was normal and her immune system would kick in and she'd outgrow it. Fast forward 1.5 weeks, her entire body was covered in pussy sores, she had lost 80% of her hair and she was not in good shape. I rushed her to another Vet and it was determined she had generalized Demodectic mange and a bacterial infection. After 2.5 months of weekly visits, many different antibiotics and medicated shampoos and alot of time she is almost in the clear. It was very stressful, costly and time consuming but that was nothing compared to the discomfort she was in. I guess the point is if you're not happy with the results from the first vet, go see another...It's better to be safe then have unhappy puppies that will require alot more if left untreated. Good Luck
Old December 21st, 2008, 09:36 AM
Blue eyed funny farm

HOw are the little pups doing today? I always hate when pets are not at their best especially youngins like these guys.
As for the "suck it up " comment, I didn't mean it in a rude way, just since I have been hearing the country song " suck it up butter cup" its sorta stuck into my vocabulary.
Old December 21st, 2008, 10:36 AM
Senior Contributor

uh - Chico - that's 'build me up, Buttercup'.
LMAO
But I like your lyrics way more.

(unless it's not the same song)
Old December 21st, 2008, 10:45 AM
Blue eyed funny farm

Uh, I think your replying to me (tee hee)
ITs a nifty catchy country song it goes
"Suck it up butter cup... move on, get over it, this aint the school of hard knox, so pull up your socks, you're having a fit.... its just a little bitty hold up so calm down..... and so on, its really catchy.

Tags
chlorhexidine, dip, mange, puppy, sulphur