Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Breed characteristics and traits > Breed bans - BSL - Pit Bull bans

Old October 27th, 2004, 08:02 AM
Senior Contributor

Petition for nothing!

Quote:
“Mr. Bryant’s last minute media release was vague, to say the least,” said Tim Trow, President of The Toronto Humane Society. “The Society hoped to be allowed to present its Anti-Breed Ban petition, with over 5,000 signatures, to the Assembly.” Unfortunately, the Society had no notice of Mr. Bryant’s intentions for yesterday.
From the THS offical statment regarding yesterday's legislation... they didn't even have a chance to give his office the numbers... :sad:

This jerk realized that many of the citizens of Ontario were against the ban of one particular breed, so he pushed this through again, unfairly - to get what he wanted.

This guy needs to resign! What a complete waste of life. Polls are truning in favour of protecting the one breed and saying that irresponsible owners are to blame and this ass hat takes it upon himslef to decide what HE wants!!

We need to start another petition requesting he resignation...this is a very sad day for the people of Canada.

Don't be fooled. THis man is capable of anything, and this sets precedent for other breeds to follow, don't foul yourself to think that this is the only one. :sad:
Old October 27th, 2004, 08:04 AM
Senior Contributor

Copies of the petition should go to every MPP then. Maybe they will listen.
Old October 27th, 2004, 10:47 AM
Senior Contributor

I sent an e-mail to the humane society asking them to present the petition and thier concerns to members of the opposition. I'm hoping they will.
Old October 27th, 2004, 10:52 AM
Senior Contributor

I did the same thing Scwhinn, I hope they don't feel to defeated... I know I do... I said that since they are such a vocal and well known organization in Ontario that they should present the information to the opposition in hopes that they will stand up for us....
Old October 27th, 2004, 11:43 AM

he's not announcing the readings with ample notice of the legislature cause he dosen't want to allow parties opposed to it to have a say.

he's trying to force the bill through before mpp's start questioning things. there is still two more reading though, and hopefully the petition will be recognized at one of those.

when you send out you letters to the mp's link the petition site and encourage them to look at it.
Old October 27th, 2004, 11:48 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kigaro
when you send out you letters to the mp's link the petition site and encourage them to look at it.
It's not there anymore. I went to it this morning and it appears that the THS has removed it for their site.
Old October 27th, 2004, 12:28 PM
Love all creatures

Does anyone know where we can all hire a hitman?
Old October 27th, 2004, 12:58 PM
Zookeeper Extraordinaire

It's not for nothing! Don't give up.

I find it interesting that Bryant is quoted as saying something along the lines of that he had consulted over 5000 Ontarians on the issue being for the banning of Pit bulls that helped him make his decision, yet our petition has over 8000 signatures now..

Maybe point that out to the MP's when emailing them.

MAJORITY RULES PEOPLE!
Old October 27th, 2004, 01:15 PM
banned user

Believe me I know how mad we can get and it doesn't help, I am in a fight too with the puppy mills in Quebec.. I will also email the HS and ask them to pass it along to every MPP. Keep going and hey you never know, have faith as every pitbull in Ontario is depending on us the people.
Old October 27th, 2004, 01:29 PM
Senior Contributor

As defeated as we feel we cannot and should not give into this a$$hole he needs to be called on these decisions he is making on a behalf of himself. I could have sworn this was suppose to be a democratic society what happened? Did he change that law too? I think we need to keep the emails going to the MPP's and more importantly the media. They are more concerned about negative press than they are about the citizens of Ontario. If they start to look really bad in the press we might accomplish more that way. Because you know what publicity hogs politicians are. I am sure that is why the reading was pushed through so fast because the media is starting to get more of the facts and he does not want anybody to realize he is only hearing one side of the issue
Now owned by Clark the Crazy American Bulldog
Old October 27th, 2004, 02:04 PM

good post mastifflover

quit. i'm just getting started. i got an email back from the city and they are having a townhall meetin in nov. i've already sent them my request to depute.

he may get the law passed, but that doesn't mean we can't fight it in the courts. regardless, if he says he's worried or not
Old October 27th, 2004, 02:07 PM
Senior Contributor

Obviuosly hes a sneaky guy. Its funny how the supporters of BSL where there yesterday but he didn't mention anything to anti-BSL Organizations.
Old October 27th, 2004, 02:19 PM
Senior Contributor

Why would he start talking to them now?
Old October 27th, 2004, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvmypit
Obviuosly hes a sneaky guy. Its funny how the supporters of BSL where there yesterday but he didn't mention anything to anti-BSL Organizations.
exactly. he announces the reading with minimal notice to the public, but probably provided lots of notice to those who support his cause.

he doesn't want a debate on the issue cause he know's the legislature will get tied up forever if that happens. he wants to ram it threw, and let the courts settle out the differences.

i really feel sorry for those people that were attacked, and can even understand why they would want pitbulls banned. i also understand that they are looking at the issue from an emotional level, and not objectively. it's difficult for them to see pitbulls as being friendly house pets because of the pain and suffering inflicted on them by a pitbull of an irresponsible owner. it must be very hard for them to accept that it was moreso the owner's fault than the dog's.

what's sad is they are being used as political pawns. when the mpp who lashed out against the ban as a political coverup, bryant immediately played the "tell that to the victims in the gallery card". if there were advocates for pitbulls there the response of the mpp could have been "okay, you tell all the owner's of well adjusted and loving pets here, that all there dogs are ticking time bombs".

he only wants one side of the story to be heard.

all dog attack victims are better serviced with a law the holds irresponsible owners accountable. i have a friend who was ravaged by a doberman in high shcool. she empathizes with these pit attack victims, but gringes when the a-g would have you belief that other dogs aren't capable of causing the same level of damage. she feels disgusted because it feels to her like bryant is downplaying other dog attack victims. she is also vehemently opposed to bsl.
Old October 28th, 2004, 04:24 PM
banned user

Last time I checked -over 9200 names on it..

That is a force to be reckoned with, whether, M.B. wants to recognize it or not. I should be sent to every M.P.P. It exists as a fact, & cannot be denied.