Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old August 29th, 2009, 03:00 PM

Smile Hyperthyroidism

My cat is 17 and in excellent condition. He was diagnosed with hyperthyroidism and is taking 'tapazoid'. When he takes 2 pills (evenly spaced throughout the day) he becomes depressed, isolated and and lacks an appetite. Right now he is on 1 pill a day and is doing well but the vets are increasing it to 1 and1/2 a day. The only other alternative is radiation or surgery to remove the gland. Does anyone know of a diet that can help/hinder this disease? Any feed back?

P.S. thx Joanne for this web site!!

Last edited by Dragonsteel; August 29th, 2009 at 07:15 PM.
Old August 29th, 2009, 04:25 PM
Senior Contributor

Dragonsteel,my 13yr old cat was diagnosed with HT about 2 yrs ago.
Now he takes 2 1/2 Tapazole pills daily.
It does not seem to bother him,he's put on some weight and is doing good,I don't know if loss of appetite is a side-effect,certainly not with my cat,runny poop was a problem for a long time,but he's better now.
HT,often make the cats have a great appetite,maybe there is something else going on with your cat

I don't think there is a special diet for HT-cats,or anything herbal that I know of,maybe someone else does.
A member here(Growler)had her cat go through the Iodine treatment and she is doing great,not an option for my cat.
Old August 29th, 2009, 05:27 PM

Smile Reply to Chico2

Thanks for the info.! Yes, I've run the gauntlet with Squeak. A geriatric profile, urine, stool; and every 4 to 6 weeks, his T4. Will ask the Vet about iodine treatment. He started at 136 but with the one pill, he is at 81. We need to bring him down to under 50, so I'm hoping the extra half a pill will do the trick. He is gaining weight and no runny stool. He used to eat and eat and eat but no weight gain, but the loss of appitite is a side affect of the pill. He was drinking a lot of water and that is slowing down as well.

Thanks Chico2!
Old August 30th, 2009, 01:42 AM

Hi Dragonsteel

Depression & loss of appetite are fairly common side effects of the medication, be sure to mention that to your vet in most cases it can be resolved by stopping meds temporarily and then restarting lower gradually increasing the dosage.

Quote:
http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Con...&S=0&C=0&A=510
Approximately 15% of cats will experience some kind of side effect. The usual side effects are: lethargy, loss of appetite, and vomiting. If one of these side effects occurs, medication is discontinued until the symptoms resolve. Medication is then restarted at a lower dose and gradually increased to the former dose. These side effects do not generally recur if medication is increased gradually in this way.
In order to have either the surgery or iodine therapy the numbers so need to be controlled and have the kidney function tested first. HyperT often masks kidney failure and it isn't revealed until the thyroid level is stabilized.

There are homeopathic treatments that can be used for HyperT however you need to see a qualified homeopath vet for the right treatment for your cat as one may not be right for all cats.

There is some information and links on HyperT here: http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=60971

for getting the levels regulated & let us know how it goes

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying
Old August 30th, 2009, 09:40 AM
Senior Contributor

Hello Dragonsteel,

Glad to see you posting on here. As I mentioned, this forum is full of pet advocats and people with great ideas, not to mention caring personalities

Hope to run into you again soon. I am trying to deal with cleaning Harey's ears and administering some topical medications, and my little man is NOT enjoying this at all.

Cheers,
joanne
Harvey the English Bulldog Extraordinaire