Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Introduce yourself here - Say hello

Old June 10th, 2005, 10:19 PM

My name is Linda and I'm new

Hi, my name is Linda, I live in Missouri, and I'm new. I sought this list out for additional information when one of my cats stopped eating, and really appreciated the information and support.

I have had cats from the time I was four years old. My mother bought my first cat for me when we had to move and I could no longer take ballet lessons. His name was Tom (hey, I was four), and he was primarily a tiger cat. He lived until I was a junior in college, then just passed away in his favorite sleeping spot in front of the family refrigerator. He was a very patient cat who even tolerated being dressed up in doll clothes and ferried around in a baby carriage.

I got my second cat after I had my first apartment. I was and am a big Star Wars fan, and her name was Princess Leia. I got her at a pet store (never again) so she wasn't very socialized, and I think she had some Siamese in her. At any rate, she was a one-woman cat, and she had very good instincts when it came to men. Unfortunately, when she was about 14, she contracted some mysterious illness, and after struggling to get her to eat for about two months, she too died in her sleep.

Leia's temperament and her illness taught me a great deal about the importance of the right vet. She was a very anxious cat, and when vets tried to examine her or take blood, she became very upset and terrified and naturally fought with everything she had. I'll never forget the vet tech at one hospital, where I went to pick Leia up after the umpteenth IV fluids just to keep her alive. When I asked how they thought she'd do, the tech said: "She'll be all right. The mean ones always survive." I turned back to her and said, "She isn't mean, she's just frightened." I really wanted to tell her that if she thought my cat was mean, she should get another job, but I satisfied myself with finding another vet. Thank heavens for Dr. Rosen, who understood frightened felines and is as tender as a poppa. Leia was in the hospital; she died about midnight and he had her on his lap when she slipped away...that's how much he cares about his patients.

For the last 8 years, I have had two female cats I got from the Humane Society. Chaco came first, a calico mix who looks like a calico and two tabbies all thrown together. My boyfriend at the time and I were doing a lot of theatre and were often gone, so we got her a companion (somehow I think she wished we'd asked her opinon). Maya is a tortoiseshell with long hair. They have amazingly different personalities and I am utterly attached to both of them.

I'm trying to figure out how to post a picture of the girls...I'll have to root around and give it a try.

Linda

Linda
Attached Images

Old June 11th, 2005, 12:01 AM

Welcome Linda!! You will love it here....there is a lot of good information, strong opinions, and honesty. Your girls are beautiful! I, too, am a cat lover and pretty much infatuated with my girls (two cats of my own plus fosters). Your calico reminds me a lot of my Tink (erbell) ....
Attached Images

Old June 11th, 2005, 12:13 AM

oh oops, lol, that didn't work so well.....
Attached Images

Old June 11th, 2005, 04:09 AM
Crusader

Hello Linda... Welcome to the forum...your girls are very beautiful
i hope to see more of them in the near future!..

ohh can you please give a description of your Nickname (WhKnight) or how it came about too be..
Old June 11th, 2005, 07:01 AM

Hello, Amber and IronKnight,

Amber, your Tink is adorable! She reminds me of a friend of mine's calico who's slim like that and so soft.

My nick is kind of a combination of my profession and my penchant for quirky romantic comedy novels and movies. I'm a clinical psychologist and I work primarily with very difficult patients...so when I get home and on my days off, I like to escape completely in a good goofy book or movie, or go camping. So the "White Knight" nickname was born.

How about IronKnight? What's the origin of that?

Good to be here...thank you for the welcomes!

Linda
Old June 11th, 2005, 07:27 AM

Welcome
Your kitties are cuties.

BTW I was wondering the same thing about inronknight
Old June 11th, 2005, 11:37 AM

This is my current favorite picture of Chaco...I have a small card table by my kitchen window which is set up with a pillow and this bed for the cats. When I moved into my apartment, all the furniture arrangement was based on the cats having as much access to windows as possible, LOL...it's all about the cats!

Oh, yeah, she knows she's cute.

Linda
Attached Images

Old June 11th, 2005, 11:45 AM
Senior Contributor

I have a calico too.... I think they are so pretty.....

Here is Morgan.....
Attached Images

Old June 11th, 2005, 12:06 PM
Meowwww!

Hello Linda & Welcome.

Love your kitties they are cute. Have had cats my whole life too! Not to much luck with puppies. We lost seven beautiful beagles within a year mostly because people seem to think back roads are race tracks.
Sport aka "Sporticus" - 4 year old black & white kitty
Clio aka "Baby" - 4 year old grey kitty
Old June 12th, 2005, 08:56 AM
Senior Contributor

Linda,welcome to our Forum,I have 3 male cats..eagerly waiting for more pics of the girls,here they are..Rocky,Chico and young Vinnie...we love Calicos!!
Attached Images

Old June 12th, 2005, 09:15 AM
Crusader

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhKnight
Hello, Amber and IronKnight,

How about IronKnight? What's the origin of that?

Good to be here...thank you for the welcomes!

Linda
Hello and Welcome again Linda... It's always a pleasure to see a fellow Kitty lover
I've been a bit lazy lately so sorry for not responding sooner.. darn it's the weather.. okay as far as the the origin of iRONKNiGHT goes... i'll just have to tell you that another time.. soon tho, still in lazy mode lol..

That's an Awesome Picture of Chaco, i cant wait to see more posted

Chico, Vinnie and Rocky how i love them
i always wait for their pictures to be posted...
Old June 12th, 2005, 09:38 AM
Senior Contributor

Thank's Knightie The problem is,I have 2 million OLD pics,but I have new pics coming soon...can't wait for my Digi-Cam,then everyone will be sick of my pics,cause I take pics of everything,except people
It's raining finally but not much cooler!!
Old June 13th, 2005, 06:45 PM

Chico2, your kitties are GORGEOUS! What happy, healthy looking boys. I thought I had a million pictures of my cats after I got my digital camera, but it turns out I don't even have a hundred...so I have decided that gives me license to photograph them like mad now.

Thank you again for the welcome...here's another picture of Chaco, to be followed by one of Maya.

How'd you get multiple photos, and such large ones, in your email?

It is still hot as Hades here in Missouri...the weather keeps teasing us with thunderstorms and then they pass right over.

Linda
Attached Images

Old June 13th, 2005, 06:46 PM

Here's cutie-pie Maya.
Attached Images

Old June 14th, 2005, 06:09 AM

Welcome!
Your kitties are beautiful :love:
I've always loved the uniqueness of calicos
Old June 14th, 2005, 06:32 AM
Senior Contributor

Thank's Linda,don't ask me how to explain anything about the PC
Since I do not have a Digi-cam yet,I scan the pictures and put them in my photo-album,to be attached to e-mails or the Forum and some are big,some are smaller...your girls are very pretty :love:
Old June 14th, 2005, 03:41 PM

Thanks for the kind words on my calico. Chaco is a gorgeous cat (sez the proud "parent")...she looks like several cats put together. On the top, she has typical calico spots, but from the front, she has one perfectly marked grey tabby paw and one perfectly marked yellow/ginger (not sure what the official name for the color is) tabby paw. She is also very sweet-tempered and somewhat shy.

My sad/funny story about Chaco is that she was originally adopted from the Humane Society with a biological sister, then the first adopter had to return her because they couldn't afford two cats. My then-boyfriend and I really fell for her coloring and her sweet disposition and adopted her the day we "met" her.

Soon after we adopted her, she had her first car trip to the vet (I think to have her stitches removed from being spayed). She just cried and cried the whole way...and this was a cat who hardly ever meows, and for such a...substantial cat she has the teeniest little mew. I think she was really afraid I was taking her back to the Humane Society again; the mews were just so heartbreaking, I still get tears in my eyes when I remember them. She's never cried like that in the car since...

Cats are amazingly perceptive...they astound me all the time.

Linda