Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old March 25th, 2005, 08:48 AM

Choke collar or you could call it a "training collar". It is not scary when you understand how to use them. They are a essential piece of equipment.
Old March 25th, 2005, 11:33 AM

the "choke" collar is a chain collar..hard to explain how u put it on..kina a loop process..if the dog is walking at the required distance, or sitting or heeling or whatever..the collar remains loose..if they try to pull on it and away from u...it tightens up..i use it for my dogs only during training ,or going to the vets. A choke collar shud never be left on a dog unattended or for any other purpose than training..if they ever got it hooked on something and it tightened they wud never get it off. My dogs wear reular nylon collars at all other times..put on as such if they ever got hooked up in the bush..they cud slip out of it easily.. i hope this helps..maybe others cud explain it better than i..Top.
Old March 25th, 2005, 11:45 AM

Chokers are not more susceptible to hooking inside the house than any other collar unless you are dealing with hooks, crates or branches... Anything bigger than that and the dog will get hooked too. If a choker fits properly (I don't think I have met one dog yet with a choker of the right size), it is even less likely to get hooked on something. My house is completely dog proof. There is nothing they can eat nor is there anything to hang themselves on. Even if you don't use a choker, I think it is still necessary to remove anything hook-like within their reach. Here are two pics-- one on the left is a choker the one on the right is a prong collar. When used properly, they don't hurt or damage the dog (maybe snip their hair a bit but nothing painful.)
Attached Images

Old March 25th, 2005, 12:02 PM

Prin..ty for showing the pics..i don't know what u mean by dog proof..but if its the same as child proof ..yes itoo have anything damaging child proof for my 2 grandbabies..the only dog who is in a kennel is the puppy and that only at nite. So there is no place even my shep/rottie can hook even a nylon or leather collar.I did mean thay w/the nylon or leather( I prefer the nylon where i live) they cud slip out more easier. My shep has the run of 160 acres of forest land..i wud never put a choke collar on him outside. As for the leather i don like as much cause when it get wet it stiffens when he's out side. i beleive on the post about the girl haveing probs w/ walking her fog shows a large pic of the prong also..thx for your info..Top
Old March 25th, 2005, 12:28 PM

They should slip out easier in a collar that is not a choker (material or leather) if the choker fits properly... Like I said (maybe in the other thread), the choker should be tight as it goes over the ears to fit properly-- if it fits properly, there is no way a doggy can weasle out of it, even in an emergency. That is why I try to eliminate all possible hooky things.

And yes, by dog proof, I mean like kiddie proof. (But dog proofing includes places they can jump up to. Kids can't jump too high...)
Old March 25th, 2005, 03:55 PM
banned user

I leave the collars on both boys all the time, except when brushing. They are not choker chains!

Never leave a choker collar on the dogs when not training, a friends son left his house for 10 minutes. Came back to his dog passed away with the other dogs foot caught in the choker chain. Choked to death while playing, it happens alot more then people realize honestly.

Last edited by goldenblaze; March 25th, 2005 at 03:59 PM.