Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old September 13th, 2009, 12:41 AM

Unhappy confused about a potty behaviour

I have a 3 month old puppy. I have taught him to go potty in one area of the yard. When I am leash/walk training him in the yard, he will pull me in the direction of the yard when he has to go potty. I take him out about every half hour for about 10 minutes and I do not let him leave the potty area. When he goes he gets lots of praise and a treat.
Here is the problem...when we come back from a car trip to the doggie park, I bring him to his "spot" sometimes he potties and sometimes he doesn't, when we are in the house he never attempts to get my attention to go outside to potty, I bring him out about every 1/2 hour, sometimes he potties and sometimes he doesn't, sometimes he potties right after bringing him in. If I am not watching him constantly, he just squats and drops.....he never attempts to go to the door or to bark or to get my attention. Initially, he would potty in his sleep kennel as well, but that has stopped. I have a much larger kennel for when I can not keep an eye on him, however he will potty in there, even though I had already put him outside before placing him in the kennel.
He is a very smart dog who will on command, come, sit, stay and will not eat his food until told "okay". I feel he has a bit of a dominant streak, so he is not allowed to enter a room before me or a doorway.
Please help as I am very confused, and don't know what to do?
Old September 13th, 2009, 01:36 PM
Senior Contributor

Dogs generally aren't house-trained until a full year, and even then it depends on the dog and the environment he/she is learning in. My 10 month old labradoodle is completley house-trained and learned within the week, whereas my 3 year old rescue is still having some problems and the occasional accident. 3 months is quite young to expect perfect progress, so don't lose hope. It will just mean your continued persistance and patience.

When I housetrain my dogs and take them outside to use the washroom, I stay there until they relieve themselves, period. It takes a while for a dog to feel the 'urge', especially number two, so you can't expect a young pup to go to the bathroom just because they're in their 'washroom spot'. It's the same as humans - just because you walk to the toilet doesn't mean you have to use it.

Taking him out every 1/2 hour is great, but like I say, stay out there until he goes. We generally kneel down, tap the ground, avoid eye contact and don't say anything except our bathroom command. We also don't encourage play, so no touch happens during this time. When they do go, we follow that with lots of praise and touch.

Your pup is going in his large kennel because it's too big of a space for him to consider his 'bed'. Dogs generally won't go in their kennel, and if they are it usually means the kennel is too large. I'd avoid putting him in the big kennel until you feel like his house-training is a bit more under control.

As far as having your puppy learn to ask you to go out, this also varies with dogs. Some go to the door, some whine, and our labradoodle will walk under our verticial blinds so they bang against the door - she thought of that one on her own. Many members here have had success with bell training - so you may want to start that with your pup.

Bailey (Labradoodle)
Tippy (Collie/ShepX)
Vali (American Bulldog)
Artiro (Cane Corso)
Old September 13th, 2009, 07:44 PM
Senior Contributor

confused about

When you take him out to potty walk him around the block as this stimulates the need to go and make this a routine 2-3 times a day. He's way too young to ask to go out but by picking up his leash for the 'walk' and using that word he will connect it to going potty.
Old September 14th, 2009, 09:12 AM
banned user

Stop using the leash and try to bring him to the door and let him walk out on his own. I also think every 30 minutes is overkill - really pay attention and take him out after he east/drinks and wakes up! Just what others have said the "Kennel" is too big so try to limit the space inside so he can't pee in one corner and comfortably sleep in another. Your pup can easily hold it for 6-8 hours with the right "crate".
Old September 14th, 2009, 10:44 AM

I think it's too much at this point to expect him to start letting you know when he wants to go out, but you can do some things to train him this. Like lifting his paw to scratch on the door, or a bell, right before you open the door to go out. He will learn to associate that with going outside.
A 3 month old pup should NOT be expected to hold it for 6-8 hrs Brecker
Old September 14th, 2009, 03:54 PM

thanks

Thank you for your comments. I can accept that I was expecting too much from him. I shall keep in mind that progress will be made as he ages and it is too soon to expect him to let me know.
I am happy to say that today I kept him in his overnight crate and I came home to no messes at lunch or after work. This is progress
Keep the comments coming as I am learning as it has been awhile since I have had a puppy
Thanks again