Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old June 14th, 2005, 04:53 PM

Anyone have rabbits AND dogs?

I was thinking of getting a pet rabbit and we have a beagle now. I grew up with beagles and pet rabbits, all outside, and never had a problem with the dogs bothering the rabbits, and these dogs were used for rabbit hunting. They knew the difference between the pet ones and the wild ones.

But would it be way different IN the house? I could keep the rabbit caged at times if need be, and would definitely keep it caged at night and when we're not home just like I do Sophie. What do you all think? Bad idea?

Another thing is I keep the house divided in two sections with a gate, so Sophie is only allowed in the living room section of the house. The bunny could be in the bedroom half with the kids if we needed to do that.
Old June 14th, 2005, 05:05 PM
Senior Contributor

Bunnies and dogs

I used to have a pet rabbit and a dog and two cats. All got along well. The rabbit used to sleep on the dog. If they are introduced slowly and in a controlled atmosphere there's no reason they shouldn't get along - just like introducing a new puppy or a cat. But beware bunnies in the house are not always simple. They chew anything, such as phone cords, electrical cords , anything - thing chewing baby gate also... Any kind of gate, other than something metal can be chewed through and won't last long so it shouldn't be counted on as a protection barrier. The bunny can be litter box trained though, just like your cat. So with lots of care and attention it can work, but it's not easy!
Old June 14th, 2005, 05:18 PM

Thanks, dogdancer, I was going to get a better gate anyway because the one I have isn't very sturdy and the older kids are always knocking it down. I'll get a metal one so Mr or Miss bunny won't chew it up.

It'll probably be a while before we get a rabbit anyway, dh says we should wait til we get our next house, which will be much bigger than the one we have now. That won't be for at least another year unless we go crazy and decide to try and buy the house that we've been looking at. It's SUCH a good deal and perfect for us, but we're just not ready yet. Dh is getting a higher paying position and we need to wait until his higher pay kicks in. Oh, well, I know it'll all work out.
Old June 16th, 2005, 11:03 AM

LOL, can't believe no one else has any opinions on this.
Old June 16th, 2005, 11:17 AM
Senior Contributor

when I was younger I had a dog (border collie/shephard mix), a cat, and a rabbit (dwarf lopp). The rabbit didn't live inside the house unless it was very cold outside, then we had a large cage in the house for her. We'd let her run around the house for exercise, and they all got along beautifully.
Old June 16th, 2005, 02:19 PM

Jessi, is that your puppy in the pic by your name? It's adorable!!