Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old February 16th, 2009, 09:56 PM

Unhappy Help! My dog won't stop peeing in the house!

Hi I have a Labrador Retriever, he is just about two and a half years old.
He had been potty trained, he knew where to go out to the backyard and pee and poop.
However, lately he just started to pee inside the house, it's not marking his territory but more like he couldn't hold it in and just started to pee.
He usually would run and hide right after he pee in the house, like he knows he will get yell at and such.
I only caught him in act once.
My dog is already neutered, and when I am with the dog (meaning within eye sight) he never pee in the house. It happens when there are people in the house but no one can see him.
Please help me out. My family cannot stand this and they really want to give my dog away.
Old February 16th, 2009, 10:03 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Your first step should be a vet check. He may have a bladder or kidney infection. Has he been drinking noticeably more than usual? A vet will be able to rule out a medical cause. Until you can get him checked out, it's a good idea to make sure everyone knows that he should be let out more often than usual to minimize accidents in the house.

Are you cleaning up the urine with a good enzymatic cleaner like Nature's Miracle or Simple Solution that neutralizes the smell of the urine? A dog is stimulated to mark a spot if he smells old urine there, so cleaning up the accidents thoroughly with the proper type of product is essential.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old February 16th, 2009, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelrunpack View Post
Your first step should be a vet check. He may have a bladder or kidney infection. Has he been drinking noticeably more than usual? A vet will be able to rule out a medical cause. Until you can get him checked out, it's a good idea to make sure everyone knows that he should be let out more often than usual to minimize accidents in the house.

Are you cleaning up the urine with a good enzymatic cleaner like Nature's Miracle or Simple Solution that neutralizes the smell of the urine? A dog is stimulated to mark a spot if he smells old urine there, so cleaning up the accidents thoroughly with the proper type of product is essential.
Thanks for the quick reply.
I do clean up the spots w/ an enzymatic cleaner, and I notice my dog doesn't pee in the same spot twice. He actually drinks the same amount of water.
I actually will walk the dog out to the backyard as often as I can as well, especially when I notice he might need to pee, but the behavior is still the same. I might just take him to a vet soon.
Old February 16th, 2009, 10:09 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Don't wait on the vet visit too long, though. If he has a bladder infection, it could work its way up to the kidneys, and then you have a major problem on your hands!

Good luck with your dog! Hope he's better soon!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old February 16th, 2009, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelrunpack View Post
Don't wait on the vet visit too long, though. If he has a bladder infection, it could work its way up to the kidneys, and then you have a major problem on your hands!

Good luck with your dog! Hope he's better soon!
Thanks,
I hope he will be better soon so my family won't throw my baby out.