Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old February 13th, 2009, 10:52 AM

Peeing and Pooing-whatelse is there...

Hi,
We have had our puppy who is 4 1/2 months now for 2 1/2 months. Training was going really well in the beginning, she was using her pee pads (when we are at work or out on the weekend) and goes to the door all the time. She loves her walks expecially now that weather is a bit easier on her. She now seems to be chewing the pee pad everyday, she is locked in the kitchen with her bed, toys, and her pee pad. I change the toys all the time, buy new ones, do the peanut butter in kong and freeze it and other items as well(these are all things many have told me). Like I said eating her pee pad and making a pretty big mess, she sometimes still tries to pee on it so cute I think but of course misses, or she just pees elsewhere. I have been using the nature Miracle so of course the spot moves and she never poops on the pee pad at all. This is can't figure out why, we take her out after she eats in the morning but sometimes she is just not ready to go so it is a given she will go in the house which is fine if she would do it in the appropriate place. I need some help with getting her back on track and not to chew the crap our of the pee pad. Any suggestions on what we can do my husband is getting really mad. She sleeps in out room on another bed or in our laundry and uses the pee pad their too(but is holding it really good until my alarm goes off and out we go) but today she peed right where he steps off the bed (oh not good) and is not using the pad. Thanks for your help in advance.
Old February 13th, 2009, 11:00 AM
Geek Club CEO

I would suggest that you start working on a potty schedule that doesn't involve using pee pads. IMO, by using pads regularly, as well as outside, you are sending her conflicting messages about your expectations for her potty habits. Right now you're basically saying "well, I want you to pee outside and be clean...buuuuut you can pee in the house too. Where we live (our den). And be dirty." You are really not teaching her clean habits. I would start a routine that involves going potty ONLY outside. And if you're not home to supervise and provide routine potty breaks, then she should be in a crate, which she'll be much less likely to soil. You need to stop this now, before she thinks your whole house is a toilet (sounds like she's almost there). You'll also want to address the chewing issue. She's of an age where she's going to want to chew/shred everything she can get her mouth on, including her pee pads. Take some time to puppy-proof your house, removing things off the floor that might be tempting, then go out and get some good quality chew toys like kongs and nylabones so she can do the chewing she needs to do safety and non-destructively.
Jaida - GSD - tripod trainwreck and gentle soul (4)
Heidi - mugsly Boston Terrier X - she is in BIG trouble!!! (3)
Audrey - torbie - sweet as pie (11 months)
Patrick - blue - a little turd (but we like him anyways) (6 months)
Old February 13th, 2009, 03:26 PM

We are using all of those toys and changing them so she doesnt get bored of them...
I thought we might be confusing her but she is so little most say that smalls dogs can't hold their pee or poo for 8 hours especially if she has not done her business before we leave. I pick up the pee pads when we are home so she goes outside, the only time she has peed on the floor in the house when we have been home has been twice and I think she was mad at my husband because she does it so he can step in it. I will remove the pad at night, I was getting up and taking her out I can here her walking around...but what about the daytime I choose not to use a crate for my reasons I choose to gate off the kitchen what would you suggest if I am right about her tiny bladder not being able to hold it. Especially on a day where I may not get home exactly at 5 (pick up something for dinner or something like that).
Thanks for your help.
Old February 13th, 2009, 04:08 PM
Geek Club CEO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouthov View Post
We are using all of those toys and changing them so she doesnt get bored of them...
I thought we might be confusing her but she is so little most say that smalls dogs can't hold their pee or poo for 8 hours especially if she has not done her business before we leave.

I pick up the pee pads when we are home so she goes outside, the only time she has peed on the floor in the house when we have been home has been twice and I think she was mad at my husband because she does it so he can step in it.

Dog's don't pee/poop on things out of spite/anger, they just don't. It's about training, territory, and/or simple need to "go".

I will remove the pad at night, I was getting up and taking her out I can here her walking around...but what about the daytime I choose not to use a crate for my reasons I choose to gate off the kitchen what would you suggest if I am right about her tiny bladder not being able to hold it. Especially on a day where I may not get home exactly at 5 (pick up something for dinner or something like that).
Thanks for your help.
Yep, no more pads at night or at any time when you're home. If she's sneaking off an peeing when you're home, then put on her leash and tie it to your belt, you'll be able to keep her close and watch her for signs she needs to be let out much easier.

Ok, so if you're gone during the day, is anyone able to let her out at lunch for a break? (You're right, she's too young to be expected to hold it all day). If not, DO block her off in the kitchen during the day, with a pad, but ONLY put the pad in that room and then do not allow her access to that room or any pad once you're home. Then, all potty times should be on-leash and outside only. You can expect that she will eventually be able to hold it during the day, but probably not until she's much older, and it may be more difficult in the long run to completely train her not to "go" in the house, just because pads create confusion no matter how little their used (I say this from experience). The sooner you can get her off the pads the better.
Jaida - GSD - tripod trainwreck and gentle soul (4)
Heidi - mugsly Boston Terrier X - she is in BIG trouble!!! (3)
Audrey - torbie - sweet as pie (11 months)
Patrick - blue - a little turd (but we like him anyways) (6 months)
Old February 17th, 2009, 09:44 AM

I must say things are going much better. We confined her to the kitchen with her pad during the day only because I know she can't hold it. She has not ripped it up yet but still does not poo on it, she does that beside it??? When I am home we remove the pads and go for long walks, she is good at going to the door she gets it that when someone is home she goes outside except this morning she pooed on the floor I was in the shower, my daughter still sleeping and my husband in the downstairs bathroom, I dont know if she was whining or not to go out...mistakes happen. Things are good so far lets see when I get home today, thanks for the help. Any suggestions on the pooing?