Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old February 9th, 2009, 03:38 PM

My dog is ruining my love life.

That might be a bit melodramatic, but I'm not liking a behaviour of his as of late. I've dated off and on while I've had him and he's never been quite sure when I'm kissing/hugging someone. However, with the person I'm seeing currently, he makes a huge fuss.

For instance, we might just be sitting on the couch while watching tv and he'll lean over and give me a kiss. Depending on how long the kiss is, my dog will start to whine, which moves into a louder whine, which eventually will move into a bark. This is all the while he's laying in his bed on the other side of the room. Eventually he'll come over to us and try to break us up from kissing by sticking his face inbetween us. Even if he's busy chewing on his bone, he'll get up and come over. Same thing if we're standing and hugging. He'll try to come between us and/or jump on my bf's back or nip him a bit (not hard and not painful).

I've started freezing a kong with wet kibble in it and giving him that, which gives us some peace for a little while. But I don't want to have to do that ALL the time. I want to fix the beaviour.

This behaviour is really bothering me because it's worse than usual and I don't know what to do or why he's doing it. It would be different if he were a small dog, but he's not. He's about 115lbs and is a 4 year old lab/dane mix. His behaviour isn't aggressive... it's cute and annoying all at the same time. It's hard not to laugh at it when it's happening. But I can't continue with him doing this.

Any ideas as to why he's reacting the way he is and what I can do about it? Is he jealous and/or being protective of me? Does he think I'm being hurt or somehow my bf should be paying attention to him instead of me? He's always going after my bf instead of me when he's breaking us up. Help please!
Old February 9th, 2009, 03:42 PM
Geek Club CEO

If she's not being aggressive then she's [robably encouraging you to be polite. Although we love to hug and kiss our dogs (or other people), it's actually not really "polite" doggie behaviour, it's actually pretty rude/aggressive! Many dogs will get distressed by or try to break up prolonged embraces. Our oldest does this, she gets really worked up!
Jaida - GSD - tripod trainwreck and gentle soul (4)
Heidi - mugsly Boston Terrier X - she is in BIG trouble!!! (3)
Audrey - torbie - sweet as pie (11 months)
Patrick - blue - a little turd (but we like him anyways) (6 months)
Old February 10th, 2009, 01:31 PM

Polite or not, it's not exactly pleasant. Does it go away as they get used to the person? Any ways of preventing it other than distracting him?
Old February 10th, 2009, 03:12 PM
Geek Club CEO

Well, if you've trained your dog to be in a long down/stay, or have crate trained, then you should have a solution right there... The behaviour may or may not dissapate on its own, but bottom line, if your dog is exhibiting a behaviour you don't like/want, then you have to train/teach your dog what you DO want/expect.
Jaida - GSD - tripod trainwreck and gentle soul (4)
Heidi - mugsly Boston Terrier X - she is in BIG trouble!!! (3)
Audrey - torbie - sweet as pie (11 months)
Patrick - blue - a little turd (but we like him anyways) (6 months)
Old February 10th, 2009, 03:49 PM
ZiggyZuzuZoeyRaggzy&Keena

LOL...sorry, I know this is not funny but it brought back memories of when I started dating my present boyfriend (17 yrs ago ).

I was terrified of dogs and his family dog was a siberian husky named Tanya. I was the first girl he brought home and whenever we would kiss goodnight at the front door Tanya would come out of nowhere and jump up on my back and put her paws on my shoulders!!!!!! I would freeze!!!! It was obvious that she was jealous of me and the time that HE was spending with me instead of her.

Sooooooo...after dinner WE would take her for a long walk (I would hold the leash). When we would get home we would all sit together to watch a movie, play cards, whatever. After a while, she did not feel so left out and frankly I think she got bored of us as she would ask to go outside! I was the only one she would let brush her and I always had treats for her.

Perhaps, if you include your dog in your date with BOTH of you at first he will not feel threatened. I don't think laughing is a good idea (even tho it is funny) as this is a sign of dominance and you are the humans.

Good luck (and thanks for bringing back a fun memory of Tanya )

Ginger and Hobo at the Bridge (Valentine's Day 2011) but NEVER forgotten <3...

"‎I have sent you on a journey to a land free from pain, not because
I did not love you, but because I loved you too much to force
you to stay" ♥ ♥

We do not have to wait for Heaven, to be surrounded by hope, love, and joyfulness.
It is here on earth and has four legs!