Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old February 9th, 2009, 01:11 PM
Pete

Potty training Q???

My little Mooshie is going very well with eliminating outdoors. Im learning his schedule and take him outdoors to potty on regular basis and Im pleased quite sucessfull. My question is how does the puppy learn to ask for the door or does this come naturally from going outdoors consistently? So far, when Mooshie wakes in the morning he does bark or cry to get our attention and then its first thing outdoors to potty. During the day its my attention to his waking after naps and meals, then out he goes to do his business. As he grows older will he naturally learn to attract our attention to his need to go outdoors? Or, will it just be that he learns bladder/poop control and will hold it untill we take him out? Do they automatically learn to signal their outdoor needs?
Old February 9th, 2009, 01:25 PM
Geek Club CEO

Of our two adult dogs, one is very clear in her desires to go out (at the door, whining, pawing the door), while the other one NEVER asks. Both will wait until we let them out at our convenience, however. Now, Gracie (who doesn't signal) will give some signs if she's having tummy trouble. I've noticed that she'll pace a bit if she's got diarrhea. If I hear her go downstairs in the middle of the night, I'm up and letting her out lickity-split, because that's as good a signal as I'm going to get that we're about 20 seconds away from butt-splosions. We never did any specific "training" for potty signals. We always walked them as puppies on leash, had routines/schedules for potty times, and use a potty command "go pee".
Jaida - GSD - tripod trainwreck and gentle soul (4)
Heidi - mugsly Boston Terrier X - she is in BIG trouble!!! (3)
Audrey - torbie - sweet as pie (11 months)
Patrick - blue - a little turd (but we like him anyways) (6 months)
Old February 9th, 2009, 02:36 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Most of our dogs eventually associated having to eliminate with going through the doors to the outside and will stand or pace in front of the doors when they get the urge. We didn't specifically train them--they just gravitate toward the exits when they have to pee or poop.

Our oddball, Ridge, has another signal. She'll go lay down in the bathroom. Go figure

All of them eventually got to the point where they can hold it for a long time and if we can't let them out right that minute, they can usually hold it. It gets less stressful as puppy's bladder grows big enough to hold more and matures enough to hold it longer...I promise!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."