Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old February 5th, 2009, 10:05 AM

Pyreneese aggression

I am looking for help on training my great pyr . She is 3 years oldand spayed we live on a 14 acre farm where she protects out livestock and cats from coyotes. I have 4 children . Gabby is a great dog but in the past 8 months she has become increasingly aggressive to our 2 other dogs . They were here before her and she has had no problem with them till now . The fights are becoming more violent and requiring vet attention . My other dogs are scared of her now i have tried what i know to stop this behavior please help i do not want to have to give her up she is great with everyone accept the two family dogs thanks angie and tom
Old February 5th, 2009, 10:12 AM
Doggie Wench

This situation must be very stressful for you and your family. Has Gabby been to the vet for a full physical to see if there are no medical issues that can be causing this change in behavior?

Do all three dogs live in the home with you?
Old February 5th, 2009, 10:15 AM

Of course she is seen by a vet every year her last check up was september and she was fine but has a few worms thats it and yes she lives with all of us and all animals are treated equal here she has never been a house dog being inside makes her nervous but the other two can come in at night if its cold
Old February 5th, 2009, 10:42 AM
Doggie Wench

By any chance, did the vet take a blood test to see how her thyroid function was?

It's difficult to tell what the problem is without actually seeing how all three dogs and family interact with each other. Have you considered having a certified (experienced with aggression) behaviorist come to your home to assess the situation? I think this would be your best option if there isn't anything medical going on with Gabby.

Would you like a list of behaviorists/trainers in your area?
Old February 5th, 2009, 10:55 AM

Yes please i would like a list the vet doesnot seem to think she would have any autoimmune disorders like thyroid problems but she has not been tested he thinks it is a breed problem she is seeing them as invading he space instead of things she is to be protecting she does seem a bit jealous too when i observe them she seems to want to keep them away from us and keep us to herself but i am not sure if its jealoust or protection she is going for could be either its hard to figure out what she is thinking she seem to view me as the pack leader but not when the other dogs are near she minds very well accept in these situations
Old February 5th, 2009, 10:59 AM

Also i forgot to mention she does seem to have food aggression wich she has had since she was young so all three dogs have their own feeders in seperate areas. She shares everything with the cats but not the dogs she even sleeps with cats tucked under her fur
Old February 5th, 2009, 11:06 AM
-

We used to have a Pyr, she would always push her way in when we were petting our other dogs. A couple of times minor spats broke out between them until she finally got it in their heads that she was the Alpha, no questions asked. Are your other dogs challenging her or is it her that is starting the scraps?
Old February 5th, 2009, 11:09 AM

She is definatly starting it she startd by growling and i try to redirect her then she gets mean
Old February 5th, 2009, 11:10 AM
Doggie Wench

Here's a link to the APDT. Read the article Choosing a Trainer (left column) then click on Dog Trainer Search.

http://www.apdt.com/default.aspx

I think it would be safest to keep the dogs apart to avoid any further injuries in the meantime.