Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Off topic forum

Old March 29th, 2011, 10:26 PM
Senior Contributor

I am Thinking

of renovating again.... Last year did roof, windows, doors, bathroom, ceramic, new appliances, paint..yada yada yada. So what more can I do? Well I am not happy with the bathroom so out it comes again.(And for all you that remember, this time I am checking into a hotel) I am putting in marble this time and all the hardwood floors are being redone. I have the old wood from 70 years ago so that stuff is almost indestructible. You can wear high heels on it and and not ding it.

So is anyone else looking at doing any Reno's this year?

There ain't no cure for stupid ...... but we should make sure we laugh and point it out to everyone else
Old March 29th, 2011, 10:29 PM

Hope so. Last year I hired "help" for it. This year I am hoping for freebies from family to fix the mess and finish the job.
Old March 29th, 2011, 10:32 PM
Senior Contributor

I let the professionals do it now. If I have to fire them, it does not start a family friend war...lol

There ain't no cure for stupid ...... but we should make sure we laugh and point it out to everyone else
Old March 29th, 2011, 10:34 PM
You can call me DOG!

Oh a marble bathroom sound so luxurious!

I've been bugging hubby to repaint our bedroom. It's been hunter green with a cranberry/brick ceiling for 18 years! It looked nice back in it's day but I'm so sick and tired of it!

I'd like to re-do it in a nice taupe/brown with cream/cranberry coloured accents but it'll probably take alot of priming to cover the green and red. Hopefully I'll succeed this summer!

Rest in Peace Bailey: 12/10/95-1/9/09 (Golden Retriever)
Rest in Peace Kitty: 7/1/2000 - 10/7/2013
Rest in Peace Gryphon (sounds like Griffin): 10/15/2004 - 11/18/2017 (English Springer Spaniel)
Bella: 3/09/2005 LHD Cat adopted by/from Child
Mollie: 6/2/2009 (English Setter)
Old March 29th, 2011, 10:42 PM
Senior Contributor

I did all my colours in the house beach colours. All the rooms have the three main colors then different accents. Kitchen light blue, white trim, bamboo counter top, hall and living room bamboo with white trim and light blue door, bathroom white with bamboo trim light blue ceiling, and so it goes through the whole house. I like these colours they are calming and look so clean. In my bedroom , I run the same colours and have accented with beach glass, wild grass and wild flowers. I just looked at my stove, I think I may buy a self cleaning one. Hubby hates cleaning the stove..lol

Old March 29th, 2011, 11:17 PM

bathroom reno? Check!

Shay... those colours sound great! and i'm a big fan of marble in a bathroom... easy to clean and durable too!
I've been living with a bathroom that is falling apart... (in the middle of a pretty big reno here: oil/rad coversion to forced air/gas, removed structural walls and installed header, removed all knob and tube (which was NOT done as advertised and home inspected), plaster and lathe all gone on the first floor, buttered floor joists on first floor)... bathroom to go in two weeks!

Going to buy tile this weekend. Purchased the tub and toilet and finally landed on a vanity... all white with grey marble top. So I need to decide on the colours for accents... I'm already stressing!

Klm... my house was had not been painted since the late sixties... and there was some aggressive colour on our walls Just invest in a good primer.. it cost more (but i waited for the sale ) but made a big difference....
Old March 29th, 2011, 11:20 PM
-

OMG ...if you guys seen my house you would all
Old March 29th, 2011, 11:22 PM
-

Shay, your house sounds gorgeous ....I hope we are getting pics of all the renos.
Old March 29th, 2011, 11:22 PM
Senior Contributor

Just pick a colour you like and use the colour wheel for your accent colours. I actually took pictures of the rooms and used a computer program to "Paint" the room so I could get an idea of what it would look like.

Old March 29th, 2011, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbow View Post
OMG ...if you guys seen my house you would all
Why certainly not! The English language is full of nice words like "quaint" and "unique" and "flashy" and "wow". So, any changes planned for you, or is it perfect just the way it is?
Old March 29th, 2011, 11:28 PM
Senior Contributor

It is a labor of love. My house was built in 1930 and I had all the original doors, windows etc. When we did reno last year I was surprised to see not one bit of wood rot. The roof has solid 2 inch solid planks right across. You could land a plane on the thing, it is so solid. We stored the doors and the windows because someday this house will go heritage. I will show bits and pieces of my house but not much, reason I because of what work I do. I would rather show pictures of the dogs lol...

Old March 29th, 2011, 11:29 PM
Senior Contributor

Rainbow, if anyone were to make faces at your house, they are not a friend. I would not make a face even if my friend lived under a troll bridge. lol

Old March 29th, 2011, 11:32 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaykeija View Post
Just pick a colour you like and use the colour wheel for your accent colours. I actually took pictures of the rooms and used a computer program to "Paint" the room so I could get an idea of what it would look like.
Thanks for the tip Shay ...I'll keep it in mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamIam View Post
Why certainly not! The English language is full of nice words like "quaint" and "unique" and "flashy" and "wow". So, any changes planned for you, or is it perfect just the way it is?
Actually, the only word that comes to mind is boring.

Far from perfect and I actually hate it but right now we are not able to change it ....hopefully soon.
Old March 29th, 2011, 11:37 PM
-

Quote:
It is a labor of love. My house was built in 1930 and I had all the original doors, windows etc. When we did reno last year I was surprised to see not one bit of wood rot. The roof has solid 2 inch solid planks right across. You could land a plane on the thing, it is so solid. We stored the doors and the windows because someday this house will go heritage. I will show bits and pieces of my house but not much, reason I because of what work I do. I would rather show pictures of the dogs lol...
Okay, I'll settle for random pics whenever you can.

Quote:
Rainbow, if anyone were to make faces at your house, they are not a friend. I would not make a face even if my friend lived under a troll bridge. lol
Thanks Shay, I don't know you but you seem like one of the more "real" people on this forum.
Old March 29th, 2011, 11:40 PM
Senior Contributor

Why that is the nicest thing anyone has said to me in a while. Thank you

Old March 30th, 2011, 01:47 AM
Senior Contributor

Shay that sounds so nice! We are waiting for our new store...it is another self cleaning one.....Shay Sears has them on sale too! Now I have to come up with another excuse for not making dinner! LOL

If u have a patio on the house why not get them to build u a screen around it so u and the pups can be outside without getting eaten by those mosquitoes and black flies? That is what I would do!

~Tegan 9 year old yellow lab~
~Wilbur 9 year old LH cat~
~Mirabelle 18 mos dsh~
~O'Shawnnessey 18 mos dsh~
~Darby 1 year old dsh~
~Mindy 7 yr old shih tzu~
~Dexter 10yr old Salmon (large goldfish)
Old March 30th, 2011, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by klmccallum View Post
Oh a marble bathroom sound so luxurious!

I've been bugging hubby to repaint our bedroom. It's been hunter green with a cranberry/brick ceiling for 18 years! It looked nice back in it's day but I'm so sick and tired of it!

I'd like to re-do it in a nice taupe/brown with cream/cranberry coloured accents but it'll probably take alot of priming to cover the green and red. Hopefully I'll succeed this summer!
I've read nice feedback about the Zinser ( sp??) primer; Home Depot sells it so it's not hard to find. I read a decorating forum and everyone there raves about it - coverage and ease of application.

Just something to keep in mind for when Hubby decides to finally listen
Old March 30th, 2011, 08:23 AM
Senior Contributor

last year we redid the bathroom, in January we did the toy room, the year before the kitchen, this spring we're doing a built in in the living room along one full wall. once that is complete then we'll finally be able to do our floors, I want to match our bedroom floor which is ash, we milled all different widths and made it tongue and groove but also used "plugs" like in the old days, that was the hardest part *L* oh and putting the 5 coats of varathane......lot of work, but I want all the house except the bathroom done in that, don't you love reno's? oh and we also need to replace the last two basement windows
Old March 30th, 2011, 08:24 AM
Senior Contributor

oh and zinser is great!!!!!
Old March 30th, 2011, 07:35 PM

Funny to come across this thread as we just started the ball rolling and are getting quotes from three different places to have work done this summer.

Not sure what we can afford to get done but we need to replace all our windows, siding, insulation under the siding, roof, eaves and re-insulate the attic. Oh and some desperate work done in the bathroom. The outside of the garage needs to be done to, but it will have to wait.

I am starting to get nervous. I am worried about what things they may find and how much extra those things will cost to get fixed and we don't really have any extra money. Hopefully they will quote high and for "things".

Need to stop watching Holmes on Homes!

I like the fact that we won't be here(wll be away at work) when the work is getting done as I really don't want to see what my house looks like naked. Thankfully the guy that looks after things while we are away offered to watch over the project for free and take pictures. He does a lot of dealings with the one company and if they want to continue to get his money they will do it right for us, not that we expect him to stop dealing with them but perhaps it will help keep them honest. Then again we live in a small town so I don't expect people to be dishonest, when everyone know's everyone, word gets around fast.

Deciding on siding colour was tough but not as tough as deciding on what colours to paint the rooms in the house. Still haven't been able to figure out what colours to paint rooms. Our house is really small so I know light colours are better but I like darker warmer colours. Oh well someday we'll get the inside figured out. More important to get the outside done before things start to fall apart.

Shay your house sounds lovely.

Good luck and smooth sailing to all those that are getting things done.

"All of the animals except for man know that the principle business of life is to enjoy it." ~ Samuel Butler

"The purity of a person's heart can be quickly measured by how they regard animals" ~ Anonymous
Old March 30th, 2011, 07:52 PM
Blue eyed funny farm

Kinda funny about this thread dustybird, I saw your location and thought to myself "Hey I've been there... although the weather changed 3 times on the drive up and the lack of radio stations from Longlac ( I think) to Geraldton was brutal.
My man had done a reno job up there about 7 years ago.
The company he works for goes up there to sell jobs once and a while for some reason ( its 11 hours away from here)

In the spirit of this thread, since I live with basically Mike Holmes we are always under reno's. ALWAYS.
Last year I was sitting on the couch and saw the siding falling down past the window in the middle of the winter... Turns out my man was up there taking it off because I said I didn't like white siding.
Made the world of a difference on our house though, re insulating properly and changing the color.

This year the front wall is coming out in the living room for a breakfast nook apparently.

I'll post some before and afters of the front of the house from the siding colors tomorrow once I get after pics
Old March 30th, 2011, 09:09 PM
Senior Contributor

dustybird,,,contractors in small towns can be just as crooked as in big cities. Get everything in writing and DON'T pay them til the job is finished!

I'm not too far from u and we are taking our contractor to court as he did a terrible job and we had to pay another contractor to take all the windows out and re do them.

~Tegan 9 year old yellow lab~
~Wilbur 9 year old LH cat~
~Mirabelle 18 mos dsh~
~O'Shawnnessey 18 mos dsh~
~Darby 1 year old dsh~
~Mindy 7 yr old shih tzu~
~Dexter 10yr old Salmon (large goldfish)
Old March 30th, 2011, 09:26 PM
Blue eyed funny farm

Make sure you get guarantee's and if you hire a company as apposed to an independant contractor be sure you know if the contractor that will be doing the job is paid by hour or piece work.
Hourly paid contractors for the most part will be more thorough as apposed to the piece work installer to whom time is money. The faster it is on, the faster and more they get paid ( less expenses ect)
Having been in the contractor life for over 10 years icould tell you all stories of big companies and how their employee's / subcontractors are treated and the "butching" done to get a fast pay.
Old March 30th, 2011, 09:48 PM
You can call me DOG!

Quote:
Our house was built in 1949 and we purchased it from the original owners that built it. Back then, the building plans were from Better Homes and Gardens. Totally constructed with 2 x 12's and we still have all the original storm windows and screens where hubby insists on climbing up and down the ladder to change every year! Our house also has local history behind it and was suggested by members of our community to list it as heritage. I looked into the program and it seems pretty intensive in what you can and CANNOT do to a heritage home.

Oh and BTW....I'm going to make a correction in that I think both you and Rainbow "seem like more of the "real" people on this forum!"

Rest in Peace Bailey: 12/10/95-1/9/09 (Golden Retriever)
Rest in Peace Kitty: 7/1/2000 - 10/7/2013
Rest in Peace Gryphon (sounds like Griffin): 10/15/2004 - 11/18/2017 (English Springer Spaniel)
Bella: 3/09/2005 LHD Cat adopted by/from Child
Mollie: 6/2/2009 (English Setter)
Old March 31st, 2011, 04:20 AM
Senior Contributor

our house was built in 1955 and I'll swear it was entirely built of wood from packing crates from the CNN *L* we've torn every wall apart and thats all the wood we see, some of it still stamped CNN......there is never any end to reno's. like someone said, I have to stop watching Holmes and DIY shows , hubby and I do the work ourselves but when we sided the place we hired a friend to help.