Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > On topic - Pet chat, opinions, feelings and rants

Old March 28th, 2011, 08:02 AM
Senior Contributor

well it sounds to me like things are going along smoothly, it all takes time and patience, but at least she's safe with you and the gang.
Old March 28th, 2011, 08:14 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melinda View Post
well it sounds to me like things are going along smoothly, it all takes time and patience, but at least she's safe with you and the gang.
Yeah, I figured it would be a slow go. I felt bad this morning, leaving her in the crate, seeing as she slept in the upstairs bathroom in the crate. I thought, geez, I took her from being in some laundry room, to being stuck in some crate. But, I thought at least now she's got someone to talk to her, hold her and kiss her, take her for short walks in the evening, and she's got all these new potential friends to be around. And eventually, once I can get her better house trained, I can allow her to walk around the apartment more in the evenings. Plus, I have been taking her with me to pet friendly places, so maybe it's not so bad.
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

http://nuriaandthegang.shutterfly.com/
Old March 28th, 2011, 08:28 AM
Senior Contributor

in a laundry room there is nothing to see, to watch, dogs love watching movement, she can now watch the cats, interact with them even if not loose in the same room, beleive me, she's probably enjoying her life 100% more these last couple of days!!
Old March 28th, 2011, 08:54 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
in a laundry room there is nothing to see, to watch, dogs love watching movement, she can now watch the cats, interact with them even if not loose in the same room, beleive me, she's probably enjoying her life 100% more these last couple of days!!
You think so? Thank you for saying that. I've just been feeling, I don't know what, guilt I guess. You should have seen her yesterday. I took her to Petco and Pet Supermarket, and everyone was making such a fuss over her. I even got her a cute small pink bed, that fits in her crate, and a little toy. On the way home she just slept on her little bed with her toy, and every once in a while she'd lift her head and just stare at me. She's so starved for attention, all she wants is just to be in the mix of things.
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

Old March 28th, 2011, 09:13 AM
Senior Contributor

awww that is so sweet, well rest assured, she is in the thick of things, think of how amused she's going to be today watching the gang go about their business, and of course they will stop by the crate to investigate....
Old March 28th, 2011, 09:27 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
awww that is so sweet, well rest assured, she is in the thick of things, think of how amused she's going to be today watching the gang go about their business, and of course they will stop by the crate to investigate....
Oh well she will for sure have some interesting theater today.

Old March 28th, 2011, 10:05 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazy4Kittens View Post
Wow, Sasha is so much tinier than your kitties. . Like having a pocket pup
She's slightly smaller than Kiska. Kiska is longer and a little taller, even though she looks thinner.

Old March 28th, 2011, 11:22 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

I think your arrangement will give the kitties a chance to get to know her without feeling threatened by her, and give Sasha a chance to adjust to the kittie without getting overwhelmed! And absolutely, she's going to love having kitties to watch.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old March 28th, 2011, 11:37 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelrunpack View Post
I think your arrangement will give the kitties a chance to get to know her without feeling threatened by her, and give Sasha a chance to adjust to the kittie without getting overwhelmed! And absolutely, she's going to love having kitties to watch.
That's kind of what I figured. I don't foresee the gang trying to rush the crate or anything. Man, I was just thinking, wait until she sees Vlad trying to chase after Oksana and Oksana hissing and spitting at him. She'll be thinking, "What did this crazy woman get me into?"

Old March 28th, 2011, 11:47 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Or she'll be thinking, "I wish I had some popcorn!"

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old March 28th, 2011, 11:51 AM
Senior Contributor

Or, "Boy, I'm glad I'm in here and not out there!"

Old March 28th, 2011, 12:10 PM
Senior Contributor

then again she could be sticking her tongue out saying "na na na boo boo" you can't get me!!!
Old March 28th, 2011, 12:33 PM
ZiggyZuzuZoeyRaggzy&Keena

Congratulations AG...she is absolutely precious She is just so tiny...OMG how adorable.

Just take your time with the intros...no need to rush. I am sure they will all be just fine. If there were going to be any problems I think they would have manifested by now. As long as no one is pawing at the cage (feline or canine) then they are just getting used to each other's space.

Good luck and many more pics please

Ginger and Hobo at the Bridge (Valentine's Day 2011) but NEVER forgotten <3...

"‎I have sent you on a journey to a land free from pain, not because
I did not love you, but because I loved you too much to force
you to stay" ♥ ♥

We do not have to wait for Heaven, to be surrounded by hope, love, and joyfulness.
It is here on earth and has four legs!
Old March 28th, 2011, 12:36 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by diandpat View Post
Congratulations AG...she is absolutely precious She is just so tiny...OMG how adorable.

Just take your time with the intros...no need to rush. I am sure they will all be just fine. If there were going to be any problems I think they would have manifested by now. As long as no one is pawing at the cage (feline or canine) then they are just getting used to each other's space.

Good luck and many more pics please
LOL, well there was pawing at the cage, but that was Vlad and Maks trying to get at the little treats, and food I had in there yesterday.

Old March 28th, 2011, 06:43 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

AG how is little Sasha tonight? I hope things are good. My sister had a little yorkie and she was a little hard to train at first but once she caught on she was a okay!! Gotta remember she has a teeny bladder and probably cant hold it as long as we would like...she likely wont mess in her crate unless she has lots of room to move around and do it in one spot and lay in another..

I would try tethering her to you for tonight so that she has a chance to move around and be supervised with you and the kitties...I think you'll be surprised at how things will turn out. She will become the little princess I am positive!

Do you move her crate around? say at bedtime? you could try moving her upstairs to the bedroom and see how things go with that too!

Oh most importantly.........remember to take a breath!
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old March 28th, 2011, 06:55 PM
Senior Contributor

She's doing fine. I just took her out for a short walk, and she peed a little. I'll take her out again in about an hour, right before I lock up and go upstairs with them. Her crate isn't too huge. She's got room to have a little bed, and then a little room to walk, and she has plenty of standing space. When I got home today, she'd peed a little on the bed I left for her this morning. Not surprising, since when my dad's wife had her, I'd see many times pee stains on her bed, so she's likely used to soiling her surroundings.

I'm taking her out to pee as much as possible and praising her when she does. She hasn't pooped since Saturday though, but I'm guessing it's because she hasn't eaten all that much. I'm going to have to get a small bag of Pedigree, which is what she was eating and see if she'll eat a little of that with the food I got her.

She did eat a little in the morning though. I don't leave water in her crate during the day while I'm gone. I figured if i did, she'd drink and wind up peeing all over the crate.

I've got a small crate/carrier upstairs in the bathroom so she sleeps in there overnight. I leave the door open though, so she doesn't feel so alone. I'm hoping that between this week and then this weekend, I can get her trained a little better as far as the peeing. Once I'm more confident she won't just pee anywhere, I'll feel a little more comfortable letting her roam more freely.

Old March 28th, 2011, 10:36 PM

Congrats, I am so happy for you and sweet little Sasha, she's so lucky to have you.

"All of the animals except for man know that the principle business of life is to enjoy it." ~ Samuel Butler

"The purity of a person's heart can be quickly measured by how they regard animals" ~ Anonymous
Old March 28th, 2011, 11:11 PM
Senior Contributor

Aww she is just too cute.....You can send her to me.....LOL I will just tell G that it is a mouse..that just happens to look Yorkie....

There ain't no cure for stupid ...... but we should make sure we laugh and point it out to everyone else
Old March 29th, 2011, 05:26 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ancientgirl View Post
She's used to being around another dog. I'm torn between bringing the crate downstairs, which someone told me to do, and allowing them all to be in the same room, and keeping them separated for a few days. My biggest concern is making sure Oksana, who is the one with the anxiety issues, isn't too bothered by the new pup.

Yes, she's quite small.
I was wondering if u put a towel over one end of the cage that would give her a little shelter from the cats being able to look at her from all directions? Might make her feel more secure?

She sure is a cutie pie!

LOL @ shay

~Tegan 9 year old yellow lab~
~Wilbur 9 year old LH cat~
~Mirabelle 18 mos dsh~
~O'Shawnnessey 18 mos dsh~
~Darby 1 year old dsh~
~Mindy 7 yr old shih tzu~
~Dexter 10yr old Salmon (large goldfish)
Old March 30th, 2011, 07:50 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tundra_Queen View Post
I was wondering if u put a towel over one end of the cage that would give her a little shelter from the cats being able to look at her from all directions? Might make her feel more secure?

She sure is a cutie pie!

LOL @ shay
I actually leave the crate downstairs uncovered. The cats up to now really haven't made any attempt to swat at her or do anything mean. The most they do is approach the crate, lean forward and sniff. Yesterday Sasha was in there napping, and when Maks got close and leaned his head forward, she lifted her head and moved it towards him. They almost touched noses. I think really they are mostly curious and don't see her as a threat.

Old March 31st, 2011, 11:15 AM
The Pack's Head Servant

Yay!!! That sounds very promising!!!!

Still going so smoothly? How is the housetraining going?

Old March 31st, 2011, 11:46 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Yay!!! That sounds very promising!!!!

Still going so smoothly? How is the housetraining going?
Well, last night she didn't pee once outside, but did pee in the bathroom and pooped too. Right before I went to bed, I was watching some TV, and I thought, that since she's been sleeping all night without peeing in her bed, I could try letting her sleep in the little bed that's next to the large dresser in my room.

The little bed is in a cabinet that I used to have the cat litter in, but it didn't work out because it was too small for the litter pans I use. So I just used it to house a bed in the upstairs bedroom. So, in the mornings, I've been letting her lay in there and she loves it. So, I let her out of the crate, and put her on the little bed and said stay. She only got up a couple of times, but spent the entire night in her little bed. No issues at all.

This morning, she peed again in the bathroom. But, when I took her out before I left, she gave me one pee outside! I made it a point to really really praise her and I could tell she had a little extra spring in her step and she was very pleased with herself. So, even though it's slow going, I am noticing there are little accomplishments here and there. I'm hoping tonight she pees outside for me at least once!

Oh and btw, I decided to change her name back to what I had originally planned to call her, Sofie.

After having her for a few days, Sasha just doesn't seem right for her. Sofie seems right, and she seems to like it. Yesterday when I was in the kitchen and called Oksana to come for her medicine, I decided to see if Sofie would acknowledge her name. So I called her and her little ears perked up and she turned to look at me.

Old March 31st, 2011, 12:44 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Man, she sounds like such a sweetie, AG!!! I can just picture her cuddled in her little cubbyhole.

That potty thing can be a hard thing to learn, but it does sound like she's catching on quickly! She should be very pleased with herself! Good girl, Sofie!!!!!

How does Oksana seem to be adjusting? No problems, I hope?

Old March 31st, 2011, 01:00 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Man, she sounds like such a sweetie, AG!!! I can just picture her cuddled in her little cubbyhole.

That potty thing can be a hard thing to learn, but it does sound like she's catching on quickly! She should be very pleased with herself! Good girl, Sofie!!!!!

How does Oksana seem to be adjusting? No problems, I hope?
She really is a little doll. I'm trying not to have huge expectations. This is after all her first week with me, and she's really never had any sort of boundaries regarding where to go and not to go, so I have to be patient. She's a smart little cookie, so I am optimistic she will learn eventually.

Oksana so far seems good. She, like the others has been curious and will approach Sofie's crate to get a sniff, but then walks away. Yesterday I had Sofie on my lap and Oksana did come up on the couch to have me pet her so that was also encouraging. I don't want Oksana to have any fear of Sofie, that would give way to anxiety. But so far it all looks good.

Old March 31st, 2011, 01:04 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Oh, wow! So relaxed with her already! That's wonderful, AG!!! See? Maybe they will end up as best buds!

Old March 31st, 2011, 01:20 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Oh, wow! So relaxed with her already! That's wonderful, AG!!! See? Maybe they will end up as best buds!
I do hope that eventually Sofie does have at least one kitty she can be friends with. Oksana is just such a solitary cat, I'd love to see her and Sofie become friends.

Old March 31st, 2011, 04:18 PM
Senior Contributor

A-G,I truly believe,your love and compassion will pay off in the end and you'll have a happy little 4-legged family.

It seems to me,from what you say,that none of the cats are acting aggressive and that's great,I know my cats,at least Rocky would have attacked the little pup.
Old March 31st, 2011, 04:39 PM
Senior Contributor

Chico, I'd like to think they can sense this little sweetie needed a home and some love. Maybe that's why they're being easy on her.

Old April 1st, 2011, 01:43 AM
Jag and Gingers dad

If Sophie is not a bouncy pup and with her size sshe wouldn't be a threat to them i would think.i could see things being different if she was much bigger and climbing the walls.
Old April 1st, 2011, 08:11 PM
Senior Contributor

Oh I remember back when you weren't sure they were going to give her to you. I'm SOO glad that she's finally someplace safe where she'll be loved and cared for!! This is a GOOD THREAD !!