Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old March 26th, 2011, 05:46 PM

Gaiters/leggings for dogs

I am trying to find gaiters or something like that for Autumn to keep her legs clean and dry when going for walks in this mucky spring weather. Not because I am too lazy to clean her legs after a walk.

Right now and for the next while the sun is warm enough to melt the crap on the road/sidewalk but the air is cold enough that all the muddy/sandy/salty water that splashes on her legs freezes. When we get home her legs are covered in a mucky mess of frozen ice balls. I imagine it's a little uncomfortable as it would be if I were in her paws(although it doesn't seem to bother her).

It's mostly due to it freezing to her that I want to find something.

I did find these but can't find a similar product in Canada and really don't want to have to buy something overseas.

http://www.k9active.co.uk/Dog-Clothi...iter-by-Hurtta

"All of the animals except for man know that the principle business of life is to enjoy it." ~ Samuel Butler

"The purity of a person's heart can be quickly measured by how they regard animals" ~ Anonymous
Old March 26th, 2011, 05:58 PM
-

These look similar Dusty:

Neopaws has a store in Toronto, so I assume their products are everywhere.

https://www.neopaws.com/catalog/boot...5rphj47jrgp2p2
Old March 26th, 2011, 06:03 PM

Thanks, they look good but I don't think they go up high enough. She's a labx so she's got long legs, and the her entire leg gets covered in the messy stuff.

"All of the animals except for man know that the principle business of life is to enjoy it." ~ Samuel Butler

"The purity of a person's heart can be quickly measured by how they regard animals" ~ Anonymous
Old March 26th, 2011, 06:08 PM
-

They look dead easy to make. Are you handy? Got any old wind cheaters? You could remove a sleeve and elasticize it

Last edited by mummummum; March 26th, 2011 at 06:09 PM. Reason: Making sense is haaaaarrrrrrrrddddd
Old March 26th, 2011, 07:54 PM

Sadly I am not very handy when it comes to sewing projects, but I think I'll giver a try. I figure I could manage a temp solution until I go back to work.
As I just found these at Petco

http://www.petco.com/product/111421/...t=OnSiteSearch

They're not expensive but.....they'll cost me 30 bucks to have them shipped to me( can't justify speding that much on shipping something so little), of course I can't find them in Canada online anywhere. However we have a U.S post office box just across the boarder from work where my boss gets her mail, so I can ship them there for a lot less and duty won't be much.

Thanks so much for the replies.

Old March 26th, 2011, 10:45 PM
Senior Contributor

Dustybird, one thing you could have tried would be contacting a breeder, say of dogs like Afghan Hounds, and finding where they get such things from. I have just been Googling snoods for my shelties as I am sick of seeing them get part of their bib in their mouth when they are eating, and same problem, most I found were made in America, while I'm in Oz. Too costly to get them here. My next step is to contact a local Cocker Spaniel breeder and ask where they get their snoods from.
Old March 27th, 2011, 06:27 AM
Senior Contributor

do you know any knitters? My mom knit a back leg one for brina after her surgery, from ankle to the very top of her leg and we wove in a nice elastic ribbon to tie it on with