Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old March 21st, 2011, 10:41 AM
-

Screen Doors

Anyone know whether there a slider screen door with a built in dog flap or am I looking forward to a DIY?
Old March 21st, 2011, 11:04 AM
-

I think you're looking at a DIY.....let us know how it goes
Old March 21st, 2011, 11:19 AM
-

Yeah...thought as much. Well, at least it's in the spirit of The Hovel ~ a UNESCO World Heritage of Condemnable Buildings site.

So, here's what I'm thinking... I'll slice through the screen. I'll duct tape lead weights around all three edges to keep the screen from curling. Then I'll over tape those edges to create a larger flap to deter the 'skeeters.

Whaddya think?
Old March 21st, 2011, 11:34 AM
-

I guess that's doable.

How about you cut out the piece of screen entirely.

Buy some new screen and cut out a piece bigger than the hole.....screen made from metal is heavier.

Sew the bigger piece over the hole already cut....duct tape all edges and maybe voila!

Whaddya think
Old March 21st, 2011, 11:36 AM
-

Better idea....I think

Don't cut the screen out entirely....leave in place with 3 sides cut and place the bigger new piece of screen on the outside
Old March 21st, 2011, 11:48 AM
-

Even better!
Old March 21st, 2011, 11:51 AM
-

Pictures will be in order when the project is finished
Old March 21st, 2011, 11:52 AM

Is this for a patio sliding screen door?

http://www.petaccesssolutions.com/patio-pet-doors/

"All of the animals except for man know that the principle business of life is to enjoy it." ~ Samuel Butler

"The purity of a person's heart can be quickly measured by how they regard animals" ~ Anonymous
Old March 21st, 2011, 11:59 AM

You should call a local glass/screen door repair shop. My dad has had a installed pet flap in the screen door for many years. The company installs a frame (like a window screen) around the hole they cut, then install a smaller window screen that wags within this hole. You can even get pet-tough coated screen to prevent pet claw holes.
Old March 21st, 2011, 12:01 PM
-

Thanks for the lnk Dustybird (no prices tho) and the suggestion Cell ~ I'll look into both.
Old March 21st, 2011, 01:26 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

The problem with attaching a piece of screen slightly larger than the hole is that it'll make your doggie-door one-way. It won't open the other way.

Is the doggie-door for the screened door or a window door? Would a screen even be strong enough to support a doggie-door?

For sure we need after pics when you finish, however you decide to do it! And considering how long it's been since you've posted pictures, I think we need a few pics of the doggie-door in use, too!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old March 21st, 2011, 02:20 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelrunpack View Post
The problem with attaching a piece of screen slightly larger than the hole is that it'll make your doggie-door one-way. It won't open the other way.

smacks head!

Is the doggie-door for the screened door or a window door? Would a screen even be strong enough to support a doggie-door?

I suppose it's all in how the screen is attached to the frame. I def. think this is a DYI.

For sure we need after pics when you finish, however you decide to do it! And considering how long it's been since you've posted pictures, I think we need a few pics of the doggie-door in use, too!
Oy.. Always with the pics that one...
Old March 21st, 2011, 03:41 PM
Live well, laugh often

My parents did there screen door by placing a bar 3/4 of the way down and securing the the screen (use the same material as the outer part of the screen). The area from there to the bottom of the screen was just left to hang loosely. The dogs just go in and out under the bar. The odd bug gets in but it works pretty well .

Wanted to do that here but don't want the kitties to be able to get out without supervision.

Last edited by TeriM; March 21st, 2011 at 03:52 PM.
Old March 21st, 2011, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mummummum View Post
Anyone know whether there a slider screen door with a built in dog flap or am I looking forward to a DIY?
If you find the non-slider door you want, you should be able to get it custom-ordered as a slider, no?
Old March 21st, 2011, 04:16 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeriM View Post
My parents did there screen door by placing a bar 3/4 of the way down and securing the the screen (use the same material as the outer part of the screen). The area from there to the bottom of the screen was just left to hang loosely. The dogs just go in and out under the bar. The odd bug gets in but it works pretty well .
I'm seeing it. That could work. And I could still tidy up the raw edges and weight them as long as the inner door screen isn't too large to pass in and out of the main screen door.

Ooooooo...and it's $$$ friendly <which The Mistress of The Hovel looooooooooves>