Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Cat health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old July 22nd, 2011, 11:25 AM

Hiding After Vaccines

Hi Everyone,
My kitty Oliver got his shots yesterday, rabies and another one, and he has been hiding under our china cabinet ever since. I know it's normal for some cats to hide after vaccines because they feel a little under the weather. I guess my question is, how long should I wait before I should be concerned? He didn't want to come out for food this morning, but I was able to entice him out by dangling a string. He ate once I lured him over to his bowl with the string. He is usually all over me for food, so that's why I'm a little worried. Any words of encouragement would be much appreciated. Thanks so much!
Old July 22nd, 2011, 03:45 PM
Senior Contributor

It's quite dangerous for cats to not eat. They can get fatty liver disease. My Vet worries if two days pass without eating. It's good he ate this morning. The wonders of play.

Keep an eye on him. Some of mine have been "out of it" for as much as three days and not their normal selves for more. I have to separate rabies from the other vaccines for two of our cats to avoid this but they still are not their normal selves for a couple of days. It means two trips to the Vet a week apart for me.

Which rabies vaccine did Oiver get? The 3 year or the one year? Many, many Vets will not give cats the 3 year vaccine because of a risk of cancer at the injection site from the adjuvant used in the 3 year. This does not apply to most dogs but some small breeds are also at risk I think.

Many pet owners now question the need for as many vaccines as we used to give our pets. Rabies is required by law most places but the other we can manupulate a bit and some like to separate as a matter of course.

Oliver will probaly perk up soon. If he doesn't, call your Vet.
Old July 22nd, 2011, 11:25 PM
chronically insane.

Do you know the specifics on the vaccines? Some have more side affects than others.

Also, in most cases there is no difference between the Three Year Rabies and One Year Rabies vaccine It's generally the exact same vaccine, it's just the labeling is what counts. Where I live, it's the same vaccine for the 1 year and 3 year, but you get it as- initial vaccine, booster 1 year later then every 3 years you get boosted... it just depends where you live though.

Your cat should really start acting more normal by tomorrow, if not call your vet asap!

~ RIP Timmy ~ May 2009 - November 6th 2009
Old July 23rd, 2011, 07:37 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathryn View Post
Do you know the specifics on the vaccines? Some have more side affects than others.

Also, in most cases there is no difference between the Three Year Rabies and One Year Rabies vaccine It's generally the exact same vaccine, it's just the labeling is what counts. Where I live, it's the same vaccine for the 1 year and 3 year, but you get it as- initial vaccine, booster 1 year later then every 3 years you get boosted... it just depends where you live though.
Your cat should really start acting more normal by tomorrow, if not call your vet asap!
I bolded part because where I am is the exception it seems, according to our local Health of Animals branch of the Ontario Ministy of Agriculture and Food. It is the same vaccine, yes, but there is more of the rabies virus in the 3 year version. My puppy inadvertently got the 3 year for his initial shot and then the 3 year again one year later.

ETA: And of course the one year vaccine does not have the adjuvant in it, which is the cause of irritation and cancer at the injection site.

I was in a panic and my contact at Ag. and Food told me about the differing amounts of virus in the one and three year. Anyway, two big pharma. companies supply the vaccine in Ontario and I'm sorry but I forget which they are and I forget which one my Vet used but I was assured they were the same as far as quantity of virus. I was warned to watch for the usual signs, lethargy, vomitting, diarrhea, heavy breathing. I did not see any of these, my puppy was fine.

How is Oliver today?

Last edited by Longblades; July 23rd, 2011 at 11:11 AM.