Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Helping cats and dogs - Adoption - Rescue - Fostering - Lost & found > Rescue (Adopt) a dog - listings

Old February 9th, 2005, 09:10 PM
Resident Evil!

Wanted: Doberman Pinscher

My Name is Dar and I'm new to the boards. I live in Terrasse Vaudreuil on Iles Perot and I'm looking to adopt a Doberman or a Bouvier des Flandres(preferably the Doberman). We currently have a Golden Retriever who is not cage trained and has the run of the house. His arch nemesis, BowTie, the Norwegian forest cat, has asserted himself as head *dog* in the house and will accept any new family members as long as they realise that they are number two.

Can you help me,
Dar.
Old February 9th, 2005, 09:43 PM
Senior Contributor
Hexxagon Champion

there was a Dob at the toronto humane society last week.
Don;t know where you live though.
You can also try: www.petfinders.com.

What is man without beasts? If all the beasts were gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts, soon happens to man. All things are connected.

~~Chief Seattle (Duwamish tribe)~~
Old February 9th, 2005, 09:56 PM
Resident Evil!

I'm just off the Island of Montreal, I've tried several rescues, and I'm still waiting patiently. I've tried Petfinder to no avail. There's never any rush in looking for that special match.

Thanks for the response,
Dar.
Old February 9th, 2005, 10:02 PM
Senior Contributor

Hey There!! I'm out by you in Pincourt!! I know I saw a Bouvier mix recently....check Animatch http://www.animatch.ca/en-ouradoptees.asp and look at Bishop...what a big sucky bear!!
Old February 9th, 2005, 10:32 PM
Resident Evil!

Hi Mommy of twins, neighbours we are. I took a look at Bishop, it appears he doesn't like cats. My wife has convinced me to look at a baby rotty girl(3 months), Ughhh! the teething and pooping all over again. BTW: This coming summer I may be willing/able to foster care some quadrupeds. This, of course, will depend on the criteria, as I don't have a fenced in yard. Toby, the wonder Golden, wanders no more.

Dar.
Old February 9th, 2005, 10:40 PM
Senior Contributor

We're neighbours too.

Dobies are few and far between in QC. I looked for two years and was unable to find a suitable one.

Quote:
This coming summer I may be willing/able to foster care some quadrupeds.
Please keep us in mind if you do decide you can foster a cat.
Old February 9th, 2005, 10:53 PM
Resident Evil!

Foxy's and LittleAngels each had one two weeks ago, I just missed them. My son failed to give me a message from Jen at Foxy's, et voila, opportunity passed me by. Lucky, I had seen Trax earlier this summer, back when he was 30 pounds, we were originally interested in him, but the sensible one in our home(my wife), brought to light the fact that we are three males and he woulld have been quite miserable with us. There are two females in our home, one's my wife, the other is Rosey the tarantula.

Hi to all my Neighbours,
Dar.
Old February 10th, 2005, 10:58 AM
Senior Contributor

So you are looking for a large female dog - breed not all that important?

Quote:
the other is Rosey the tarantula
Old February 10th, 2005, 03:08 PM

Someone mentioned Zen the dobe at the THS. He was adopted and then returned because he is very very dog aggressive, not a good idea with other males in the house.
Old February 10th, 2005, 04:42 PM

Doberman

Dar, I got my Doberman, Hedley, at Doberman Rescue Unlimited www.dru.org. They are a wonderful breed rescue in New Hampshire. I believe we were the first out of State, well actually even out of Country adoption they allowed. We still have the goof and love him lots!
Attached Images

Old February 10th, 2005, 09:19 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
I believe we were the first out of State, well actually even out of Country adoption they allowed
I tried that organization and was turned down due to location. I certainly understand their reasons, but a dog lost out on a wonderful home.

Your boy is just gorgeous!!
Old February 10th, 2005, 10:24 PM
Resident Evil!

Beautiful Puppy, Sharoo. I'll give it a shot.

Dar.
Old February 11th, 2005, 01:44 PM
Senior Contributor

You could try the Ontario Dobe and Bouv rescues, not sure if they will place outside Ontario tho.

Bouvier Rescue: (they took in a nice boy recently)

Kathleen Bayfield-Pollock
bouvkabit@sympatico.ca

or

Margo Illing
pitabouv@sympatico.ca
www.ontariobouvrescue.net

Doberman rescues:

Mary Korevaar
korevaar@execulink.com

and Heather Cole
dobermanrescue@hotmail.com

both at:
http://members.execulink.com/~korevaar/RescueDobes.htm
Old February 12th, 2005, 02:01 PM

Red face Bouvier??

I know of a Bouvier in a kill shelter here in Ontario. She has either been pulled or is being pulled out of there. I think she is 3 years old but I know she is a purebred Bouvier. Please let me know and I will contact the woman that pulled her for more details.
Old February 12th, 2005, 04:55 PM
Senior Contributor

Hi there BigDogLover!
Do you absolutely want a female? There's a bouvier mix available at the montérégie SPCA. His name is Duke, he is 1 year old and is neutered and up to date on shots:

http://www.spcamonteregie.com/adoptions.canine.p5.html
Attached Images

Deep thought, by Jack Handey : "I think my new thing will be to try to be a real happy guy. I'll just walk around being real happy until some jerk says something stupid to me."
Old February 13th, 2005, 12:07 AM

You can always try Second Chances Dobes in Michigan its a long drive but they adopt out to canada. They are all Spayed/Neutered , have all shots and are now microchipped www.petfinder.org/shelters/MI180.html
Old February 13th, 2005, 08:29 AM
Resident Evil!

What a day we had yesterday!

We drove out to the Monteregie SPCA, I must say, that was an adventure, there were dogs everywhere. We saw the above mentioned Bouvier mix, he was gorgeous, he looked like a cut down version of an Irish Wolfhound, though still, rather large. The down side was his aggressive nature, he growled and barked and was quite snappy at my 14 year old, not a good omen. They had dogs that were seized from drug houses, mainly a Shepherd and a Neo Mastiff, it would appear that their age may have sealed their fate, I'm not sure that these dogs could be safely placed in any home. *smiles* There was this one dog, a Neo female, unfortunately, they had no clue as to whether or not she was good with cats, and she appeared not to like other dogs, anyone looking for a Neo girl, get down there quickly.

While I highly commend what the Monteregie is doing, I can see no hope for some of these unfortunate creatures, their inner beauty masked and marred by human cruelty. We left under the suspicion that many of their rescues and seizures involved dogs who were grossly neglected and sadly mistreated by the likes of nefarious drug pushers who'd abandon their protectors at the first site of a sinking ship.

I'd like to thank everyone here for their assistance, I've tried several of the Ontario rescues, sans espoir, and Michigan is just too far. Toronto would be realistic for me, as I have a brother who resides in Mississauga(sp?). DRU et al, e-mailed me back with the same calamitous results, no out of, province/cross border adoptions.

We have narrowed our search down to a Doberman, we just can't get over their cuteness, young or old. Goofy must have been a dobe or at least in part. ' The search goes on'

Thank you all,
Dar.
Old February 13th, 2005, 08:55 AM
Senior Contributor

I completely understand your reservations about the dogs you saw at the Monteregie shelter. No doubt some of them will spend the rest of their lives there because of their past history. But it is sad to think that even the dogs who would thrive if they were taken out of that stressful environment will be passed over, because of initial impressions. But at least they don't have a needle hanging over their head, one good thing.
Old February 13th, 2005, 09:15 AM
Resident Evil!

Actually Badger, I would recomend Monteregie to anyone searching for a dog. There was this little scottie running amok outdoors, he was so cute. I may have painted too grim a tale, it wasn't all bad, we did spend some time throwing the ball and stick with some of the dogs outside. As most of the people posting in this fora, I too, wish I could take them all home, but there is just no way. That is why I have the upmost respect for what the rescues do.

BTW: Anyone who is looking for Neo Mastiff, this girl was gorgeous, but I believe that she will have to be the only one.

Dar.
Old February 13th, 2005, 10:17 AM
Senior Contributor

The SPCA Monteregie doesn't turn down any dog or cat because of their age or their past history. Their goal is to help any animal in need. That is why, they actively promote their sponsorship program. Through the sponsorship program, you can arrange for your contribution to ensure the care and well-being of an animal that may never be adopted into a new home. Its not very expensive to sponsor an animal 10.00$ monthly. Also, with many senior animals, they promote their "senior to senior program" What also helps them, when people become a member of the SPCA Monteregie, which is 25$ annually. The shelter is in a country setting, the dogs have large enclosures where they can go out, run and play. The cats are in a very large room, with big cozey blankets to lie on. Also, many of their cats like to sit on the window sills and look outside. Heres an example of the country setting...plus this cutie is up for adoption!
Attached Images

Old February 13th, 2005, 10:20 AM
Senior Contributor

Here is another example for a cat: Take a look at their animals, www.spcamonteregie.com
Old February 13th, 2005, 10:21 AM
Senior Contributor

Forgot the attachment...here is a picture of a cat. To take a look at their animals, go to www.spcamonteregie.com
Attached Images

Old February 13th, 2005, 04:16 PM
Senior Contributor

Hello again!

If you haven't COMPLETELY given up the idea of a bouvier, there's a bouvier/bernese mix available at Little Angels.

Quote:
4 1/2 Month / Female / Bouvier Des Flandres - Bernese Mix

AVAILABLE

This beautiful girl is completely housebroken and full of love. Through no fault of her own she is now looking for a new home. She is going to be a big girl and the kisses will only get bigger. Do you think that you could be the one for her. Please call to meet her at (514)743-6997 or send an email to Little_Angels_Animal_Adoptions@hotmail.com
I'll keep my eyes open for a Dobbie...I'm on the rescue sites all the time!
You've got alot of courage going to the Monteregie SPCA, I think if I go, I'll leave with all their dogs!!!

Here's Farley, the bouvier mix:
Attached Images

Deep thought, by Jack Handey : "I think my new thing will be to try to be a real happy guy. I'll just walk around being real happy until some jerk says something stupid to me."
Old February 13th, 2005, 09:59 PM
Senior Contributor

Here is a bouvier rescue in Ontario.Actually not far from me.

http://ontariobouvrescue.net/index.html

I see no Bouvier in Farley.All I see is Border Collie...
Old February 13th, 2005, 10:11 PM
Senior Contributor

Here is a Dobe rescue also.
http://www.dogsaver.org/doberman/canada.htm
Old February 14th, 2005, 10:56 AM
Senior Contributor

I agree Mona I see no Bouvier in him at all
Now owned by Clark the Crazy American Bulldog
Old February 14th, 2005, 11:21 AM
Resident Evil!

I don't see Bouvier or Bernese.

I'm here to let you all know that I received a call from a friend yesterday, His neighbour breeds Dobermans at a rate of two litters/year. He has two females and two males. We promptly went down to take a look at the two week old pups, on reference from my very good friend, we purchased one. Dobermans are rarely available in Montreal and her surroundings, and seeing that none of the rescues in Ontario were willing to let one go out of town, despite our willingness to provide references from our vet, we went the other route.

Thank you all for your kindness and consideration, Pictures to come soon.

Dar.
Old February 14th, 2005, 03:11 PM
Senior Contributor

Good luck with your new companion.Many rescues in Ontario will not adopt out of province,it's one of my policies as well.Sometimes it takes awhile for the dog you are looking for to land in a shelter or rescue,it just can take some time and patience.
Old February 14th, 2005, 03:17 PM
Senior Contributor

Good luck and where are the pictures it is mandatory that you post puppy pics
Now owned by Clark the Crazy American Bulldog
Old February 14th, 2005, 03:30 PM
Resident Evil!

Talking

I should receive the pictures soon. If not, we'll be going out to the breeders for a visit next week-end, we'll take some then. Poor little thing looks like a platypus. My heart melted when I saw him. Now I have to find an area where I can crate train him and Toby and Bowtie won't be able to tease him.

Dar.