Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Breed characteristics and traits

Old March 9th, 2004, 02:53 PM

Bozer

My husband and I recently rescued a very cute 4 yr. old Boxer dog from LA. He came to us with severe runny diarrhea, but they told us that it was just from the deworming medication and to give him some Immodium AD. So we did, but the diarrhea persisted. We have taken him to numerous vet appts and tried three prescription diets and still no luck. In addition to the constant diarrhea, he is losing weight and his hair rapidly. He also has blood in his stool.

We have another vet appt. on friday where he is going to go through "exploratory surgery", basically where they take a sample from his abdomen and turn it in for a biopsy. I was wondering if anyone out there has heard of this procedure or is going through a similar situation. We are running out of money and Bozer looks like he can't wait much longer.
Old March 9th, 2004, 03:10 PM
Senior Contributor

Oh, sorry to hear about this. I don't know what's wrong with your dog, but I do know that boxers are very prone to cancer.

Have x-rays been taken or any testing done? The exploratory surgery should answers your questions once and for all. Hoping for a good outcome!
Old March 9th, 2004, 03:19 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

My question is did they do a stool CULTURE, this is different from just testing for parasites. Cultures 'grow' what every bacteria is in the stool to determine what is making the dog ill.

My guess it may be some type of infection that will not rid with doses of panacure or deworming.

Bacterial infections are treated differently.

After the dog has finished any and all medication, wait 3 to 5 days and get a fresh morning stool sample in a sterile container and have your vet CULTURE IT!

In the meantime, take the dog off the dog food and boil him some chicken and mashed potato.

This meal will be easier to digest...make sure the chicken is in very small pieces mixed with some mashed potato (no butter or salt added)

Give that a try, it should work!!

Infections can cause irritation in the mucosal lining of the intestine and thus the dog can bleed. If it's insignificant amounts, little drop here and there I would not worry too much HOWEVER if there is an abundance of blood then your dog should be reseen by the vet ASAP.